What's new

the best urban FM indoor antenna recommendation? (1 Viewer)

VincentY

Stunt Coordinator
i'm getting my B&K 507 today and, being in nyc, need a very good FM antenna for indoor urban use.

should i just get one of those Terk things or are there some that are much better?

thanks!

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I use a Radio Shack omni-directional FM antenna, mounted in my attic. The catalog number is 15-2164. It only cost $14.99 and works great!

- Bill

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I think if you want to go indoor... your options are:

o the fanfare/magnum.
o an APS intenna (http://www.antennaperformance.com)
o roll your own. I have downloaded plans, I have yet to build one.

Even for outdoor, I would look at the APS offerings. I would take them any day over a Terk.

M.

Chip E

Screenwriter

Mark,

Where did you get this ? I'm wondering if you got it locally or online.. Thanks.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Mark,

I have some trouble with 94 WYSP when it's raining.. Any problem for you with this antenna ?

MarkO

Second Unit
It just so happens its rainning right now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nope,,clear as a bell.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
roll your own. I have downloaded plans, I have yet to build one.
I am also interested in how to build my own. Can you share those plans with us or point us in the right direction to find the plans?

Thanks,
JimmyK

M_a_r_k^NE

Agent
Outdoor antenna is much better if you can do it. Mounting it on top of the house will blow away any indoor antenna. But if you live in an Apartment not much options.

Radio Shack Double Bow Tie antenna (#15-623)is very good and costs $18.00. Its no longer sold, but you can find one on Ebay easily. Another plus is the antenna is not powered so no plug into wall. This RS antenna can be used for both TV and radio. Another choice is the Terk Pi model. Good antenna for $ 50.00. Its powered so have to plug into the wall. The Terk performs a little better than the Double bow tie model only when its plugged in. The RS double bow tie antenna kicks butt for not being powered and for the price nothing comes close. I currently have both antennas and I have tried many.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Vincent:

When we got married we lived in a city and good FM reception was easy. Then we moved to the suburbs ~ 45-60 minutes west of NYC. The Terk didn't even help. I finally tried a few different powered TV antennas - a Philips Magnavox model, it offers a 20db boost, it was about $30 at KMart. It looks a little funny (everyone asks "don't you have cable?"), but it works GREAT, I use it every night to listen to the radio while I surf, just like now.

Rich B.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark, if I end up making one, I'll report back on how well it works. I am in a rural location, in a valley, which makes it a real challenge.

JohnS

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiosity.... those that have the bigger external FM antennas.. whats the lightning strike protection on those? I'm concerned about putting an external antenna up that will act like a lightning rod.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks