the best subwoofer under 10" is......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Binh Vu, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Binh Vu

Binh Vu Stunt Coordinator

Please vote what's the best sub UNDER 10" so, the newcommers like me have an idea what to get

M&K ??????
    Velodyne ????
    Klipsch ?????

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Is there a reason it has to be under 10"?

Sunfire is the only one I know of with any reasonable output.

3. Usong

Usong Auditioning

I own M&K's VX-100 (8" woofer) that I enjoy very much. You obviously can't compare this to a 12 incher, higher-end model, however, I like its fast and tight bass response in my medium-size room.

4. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

when you say under 10" I assume you mean 10" and under...
    So in that case, before you fork out the $$$ for the three manufacturers you mentioned, perhaps you should take a visit to www.hsuresearch.com and see the VTF-2.

5. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Well, he did capitalize UNDER, so I would assume he's looking for an 8 incher. Just my guess.
    He may tell us the reason when he posts again, but I too am looking for a decent 8" sub for my daughter. I just want to add a little depth to the bookshelves and NOT get her evicted from her apt. since I had to co-sign the lease.[​IMG]
    (if it were for myself I would go with a VTF-2 or SVS)
    He said he was a newcomer so I don't think he wants to spend a lot for super subs like Sunfire, etc.
    The M&K sounds good. What is the street price?
    Paradigm, Energy, Mirage, Velodyne make 8 inchers. I'm sure there are others. I think we're talking just a notch above the Sony 40, but that's not a bad choice for newbies either. I know you can get an Energy S.8 online for around $250 and it is pretty flexible.

6. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Pinnacle SubSonic...it got a decent write-up as part of the Quantum system in the July Home Theater Magazine. It has dual 6.5" drivers and is less than an 8" cube in size.
    http://pinnaclespeakers.com/quantsubsonicsys.htm
    it's not cheap at $699, though

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The Sunfire, Jr. comes in a cabinet that is only 9x9x9. Their others subs are small as well.

8. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

The Energy S8.2 is very good for a small, budget sub. Reaches below 30Hz respectably.

9. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

Polk Audio Subwoofers aren't bad either for the size.

10. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Thanks for the info on the Energy Marc. How far is Ottawa from Mackinaw Island, MI? I may be going there next week. What is the name of your shop again?

11. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I think that one of the best 8" subs out there for the price is the Energy Encore 8". I demoed it a few months ago back when I had no money and I was looking for a budget sub, and it compared very well with the Energy S10.2. It wasn't quite as deep, but it was more musical IMO. I'm not sure what the going rate is, but at the time, I could get it for about $535 CDN.

12. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    IMO, purchasing a subwoofer with a driver less than 10" is a waste of money and time. A decent inexpensive (

13. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Sunfire True Sub Jr.

For their size they rock pretty darn good.

14. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Yeah, but you gotta look at the price, and then compare them to other subs of similar prices.

And the verdict: The sunfire subs don't even compare to the extension or output of the SVS' or HSU's or Adire's etc... for the money.

15. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Brian,
    Our shop is probably about a ten hour drive from Detroit. You would be best to find a dealer in Windsor.
    Nick is right on about the Encore sub too; more expensive but deeper extension and lower distortion over the S8.2. Very good for music.

16. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

If we're talking about small subs under 10 inches (and the last time I looked, that's what this thread is about) then Sunfire True Sub Jr. is definitely a leader. Sunfire is closing these out right now, there are many available from dealers and on Ebay (B stock). Even a B stock True Sub Jr. outclasses most of these small subs.

Mentioning HSU, SVS etc. makes no sense since this discussion is about small subs.

17. Binh Vu

Binh Vu Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I'm looking at subs 10", 8"....because "imo" that's more than enough for my living room. I'll check out the sites and ebay, compare the prices and find out what I'm gonna get.

18. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

I also looked at 8" subs when I bought mine and ruled out the 10" and above. I live in a condo and I have a small living room.

I auditioned the PSB 8" sub (forgot the model), the Energy S8.2, and the B&W ASW300.

The B&W sounded more powerful than the other two. The casing is a bit bigger. This was what I got and I'm happy with it. Volume level is at 20% only, and sub-setting at receiver is at -8db. Price was relatively the same for all 3. I got mine for around $300.

Although, I really liked the Energy because the controls were upfront. What a smart and simple idea.

19. Steve-sas

Steve-sas Agent

The Dayton Titanic from Parts Express is a great 10" sealed sub if you don't mind spending a little time putting it together. I have it and it is great for music...very tight and quick and does a good job for HT. The box is only 14" X 14" and comes with carpet spikes if you want to use them. Here is the link. Dayton Titanic

20. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

I'll throw in another sub model. I'm a BA Fan so I'll recomend The Boston Acoustics PV600. 10" 120 watt sub. It is rated to play down to 29hz though many have tested it with an SPL meter and found it is capable of going as low as 25hz after proper break in. I use this sub in my HT and it has nice responce and very clean bass. Retails for $449.
    http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...=7&SeriesID=33