The best Street Map and Trip Routing software?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CRyan, Apr 2, 2002.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, what does everyone here recommend?

I have used MS Streets and Trips for a few years. However, my 2001 version Run Disc has gotten scratched and unusable. So now I need something new.

I liked Streets and Trips, but it did get several simple things wrong on a few occasions like having me go down one-way streets the wrong way. It was a pain on more than one occasion.

Anyway, so what is good?

C. Ryan

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Why not just use the "MAPS" feature at Yahoo? It's free and very reliable. My wife and I use it for all cross-state trips with great results.

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I use MapQuest all the time; one of the best web sites out there.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I use mapquest also, but if you have a AAA membership you can get those tripbooks for free (along with all kinds of other maps and travel guides). Good for long planned trips, but doesn't help for the short-where-is-that-restaurant-at trip.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Ugh. I really hate net based mapping software. I like full screen instant access mapping software. There are many more things you can do than is possible with the relatively simple net based apps. It is easy to find zip codes, get quick mileage estimates with highlighting etc.

So does anyone have any suggestions on mapping software?

C. Ryan

6. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

I got a new DELL & it came with MS streets & tips 2002.
    It is great.

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

How about Topo USA? It's not as much a mapping program, but it'll give you an extremely detailed map of the surrounding area that you're looking for.

To me, that's sometimes more helpful than the "Turn left on Hwy. 41 and travel 6,359.23 miles to the 2nd St. exit and turn right".

I don't have a problem getting to a general area.....any printed atlas will give me the highway names. I need the details for the surrounding area.