What's new

the best "slow-walk" scene.... (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Nick So hit it briefly, but the scene in Swingers is hysterical... they just get done talking about how Reservoir Dogs ripped off everything, and then they rip off Reservoir Dogs. A stitch!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Crawdaddy and Richard - The Wild Bunch - The best slow walk in cinema history.

For a humorous homage to the Wild Bunch walk, see Kelly's Heroes. Donald Sutherland with a Luger hanging like a Colt SAA in his GI holster, Telly Savalas holding a Tommy gun like a shotgun and Clint Eastwood, well, being Clint. And the soft but distinct jingle-jangle of spurs from the feet of three soldiers who don't have spurs on their boots.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

Blade Runner - The approach to 2019 LA after the opening credits & crawl.

Manhattan - The opening shots w/Gershwin playing.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Desperado -- When the Mariachi (Banderas) is walking into the bar, head down, in the shadows.

Mission: Impossible 2 -- Hunt is supposed to be dead but then blasts the doors open and does the slo-mo walk-by through the fire just to let the bad guy know he's still around.

Plus, there *has* to be something from Brotherhood of the Wolf...I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Oh, another one, even though I call it a slow walk because the person is walking so slow, not because she is in slow motion, is the final shot in The Third Man, when Alida Valli just walks down the long, empty cemetary road and right past Joseph Cotton. It goes on for a good minute without a stitch of sound except for Karas' zither. I don't think that a single director today would have the balls to hold a shot for that long in this Michael-Bayed world of ADD cinema. But that's a debate for another time. :D

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
I think it worth mentioning that Armaggedon seemed to be an intentional allusion to The Right Stuff, and Swingers to Reservoir Dogs, which gives each scene more punch, IMO. Swingers also does the long cut dolly shot of walking through the restaurant to the table, ala Goodfellas.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
John Woo is notorious for using the "slo-mo for no other reason other than it looks cool" in his films. It may be said that it's his signature sign.

John Woo films (directed or produced) with "slo-mo for coolness":
The Killer
Hard Boiled
Face/Off
Broken Arrow
Hard Target
Windtalkers
Mission Impossible II
Replacement Killers
I'm sure there's more...

Bruckheimer-produced films are riddled with them as well:
Crimson Tide
Pearl Harbor
Top Gun
bad Boys
Bad Boys II
Thief
Armageddon
Con Air
The Rock

Overdone? A sign of the action films of the 90's?
8^B

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Richard, I don't think that Replacement Killers is a John Woo movie, but rather a Chow Yun Fat movie. However the rest of them are right on.

Jason Co

Second Unit
To me nothing beats Payback when Mel is walking out of the subway and Jimmi Hendrix Voodoo child is blasting. That riff rocks in that scene.

J

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hearing jimi hendrix made me think of the scene in wayne's world where garth is doing his stint to foxy lady (?).

does that count as a slow-walk? :)

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
John Woo did not direct The Replacement Killers, but he was an Executive Producer on the film, and you have to admit, Antoine Fuqua did rip Woo's style.

8^B

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I'm sorry...but Woo doesnt use Slow-Mo just cause its cool...he uses it to create more emotion...slow mo in a John Woo movie is to either elevate tension or create more emotion between characters...its not just there to look cool...its there for a reason...whereas Bruckheimer just thinks its cool looking...

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
The "walking" scene in Reservoir Dogs was an hommage to The Wild Bunch (one of his fav. movie).
I even read somewhere that QT only saw the P&S version of TWB, where apparently you never see the whole bunch walking together, only 2-3 at the same time in the shot. This would explain why he does the same thing in the overture of RD as he'd never seen the original composition of the scene in TWB

Cheers,

Vincent

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
There is a nice one in Fight Club after Edward Norton's character flees from the police. He is running and smoothly (in one take) it changes from normal speed to slow motion.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Can't believ no one mentioned John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Now THAT is one cool walk (it even says so in the song he's strutting to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks