What's new

The best pre-1960s transfers? (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
PORTRAIT OF JENNIE and THE GARDEN OF ALLAH are two stunning transfers from Anchor Bay, both restored by Scott MacQueen(he does the audio commentaries on the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA DVD's). ALLAH in particular looks spectacular, probably the most gorgeous Technicolor transfer available on DVD. And the majority of the rest of the titles mentioned by others are great too.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
What, no mention of MGM's gorgeous new disc of "The Vikings"?
If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have. :D
On the other hand, for a film shot on 70mm, I feel there's room for improvement if MGM wants to do a SE sometime in the future. :)

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
On the other hand, for a film shot on 70mm,
It was not shot on 70mm, and I've not read any references to 70mm blow-ups being shown. It was film in Technirama, which is basically Vistavision (horizontal 35mm like a still camera) with a 1.5x anamorphic squeeze. Many Technirama films were blown-up to 70mm later on, like "Sleeping Beauty" and "Spartacus". And how, exactly, can the transfer be improved?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
And how, exactly, can the transfer be improved
If it was 70mm, then grain can be slightly reduced, detail can be slightly increased, and the slight horizontal edge enhancement can be removed. Admittedly it's pretty close to perfect now, but I won't say it's 100% great. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks