The best paradigm...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matthew_rm, Feb 13, 2002.

1. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

My dealer does not cary the paradigm reference line of speakers. In their current line of products, what is the best speaker in the paradigm line? (not the studio series)

I would like to compair against the Klipsch RF3's.

Would it be worth to drive 5 hours to liston to the reference seris?

Thanks

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Incredibly subjective question.

You will get proponents for all 5 of the lines on this forum but here's a quick rule of thumb.

100's - Flagship of the line provided you drive them with a quality amp putting out at least 200 WPC to realize the potential of these babies. Great speaker.

80's - Kind of the black sheep of the family. People looking for a floorstander of this size typically go for the 100's or the 60's. For some reason this line doesn't get a whole lot of pub.

60's - Basically the 40's drivers in a floorstanding model. Better bass response than the 40's but not nearly as good as the 100's.

40's - Some say this model has the best midrange clarity of the line but they require good stands and could be served by adding a dedicated music sub.

20's - A great speaker for the price. People who consider the 20's usually splurge for the 40's as it is in most peoples opinion a far better speaker, but the 20's are no slouch either.

As for comparisons to Klipsch, obviously the Klipsch are more efficient and can be played louder. A lot of people feel Klipsch are better for HT and Paradigm better for music, but your opinion may differ. They produce drastically different sound, so you probably would be suited to take the 5 hour drive for comparison's sake but I would try to find someone closer to you who has this setup. 5 hours is an awfully long ride. Good luck!

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I just realized I misread your post. You want to know the best speaker of the Monitor line don't you? For that, my knowledge is zero. Sorry.

4. JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK Stunt Coordinator

When I listened to the Monitor line, I thought the Monitor 11's blew away the rest of the line. The sound always opened up beautifully when they guy switched to them. You'll still probably want a sub though for deep bass.