The best pair of speakers below US$600.00

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Elmer_Guzman, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Elmer_Guzman

Elmer_Guzman Auditioning

Dear All,

In your opinion, which is the best pair of floorstanding speakers below US$600.00?

Please reply on this thread to help me decide what to buy. No consideration to outside factors, just price & performance.

Thanks,
    Elmer

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

That's a no-brainer for me....Magnepan MMGs.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Forced to give an answer with no qualifiers (namely having them well out from the back wall and not expecting reference level HT hijinx), I'd agree with Alan.
    What "outside factors" are we not allowed to consider? Listening level? Room size? Is asking about a subwoofer ok?

4. Elmer_Guzman

Elmer_Guzman Auditioning

What "outside factors" are we not allowed to consider? Listening level? Room size? Is asking about a subwoofer ok?

ANSWER: YES...

5. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

I've heard bigger maggies, but not the MMG. Maggies have a clear, airy, transparent sound. Very accurate. I've not heard a person who got the maggie MMG's shipped to them for around 500 be dissapointed. That being said, budget for a good sub. They supossedly need help in the low end even for music, much less home theater applications. Of course, a good quality sub to match the overall quality of the maggies would be in order.

6. TomYoung

TomYoung Auditioning

IMO, the best sound for your money is with used speakers. For example for $600 or less you can easily pick up a pair of KEF 104.2 which, to my ears, have better sound than any comparabley priced new speakers.

tom

7. billybob_jcv

billybob_jcv Stunt Coordinator

"No outside considerations" - so it's OK to recommend a speaker that requires a healthy amplifier? Great speakers, but the MMGs need more than the typical BestBuy 7.1 AV receiver can deliver.

Honestly, I don't think this is a question that can be answered by anyone other than you. There is just so much personal preference in selecting speakers - no way you would ever get a consensus on the "best".

8. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Yep, the MMGs need a good, clean 100wpc from an amp/receiver that is stable into 4ohms. And you definitely need a sub if you're going to take them into HT land. For five bills, though, pretty hard to not have these on your short list. They aren't head-banging SPL machines though, so if that's your thing then I'd steer clear of them.

There are lots of good speakers for $600, though.

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Rocket 550 MKII B-Stock. $549

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Folks are having success pairing MMGs with some of the newer inexpensive digital amps, like the JVC RX-F10. Especially when used just for a pair...as the poster wants. One guy is even using that receiver with great success on his 1.6QRs.

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Apparently the guy has decided on Def Tech according to his later post on $300 receivers. Unless we hear different I think this is a done deal.

12. Elmer_Guzman

Elmer_Guzman Auditioning

What do you think of the Def Tech BP6? Not yet totally decided, just considered them..but i thought I should consult first with you guys.