What's new

The Best of My SD DVD Collection (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Let me start by defining what this post is about. Pretty much what I'm going to do here is talk about the DVDs in my collection that I think represent the best of what DVD has done for folks who love film. I'm going to approach this as a film buff and not get into technical flaws of a transfer and or splitting hairs about what version or versions of a film have been released. There is always room to complain and reading posts in this forum it seems to be about 50% of what people have to say. That's fine, we all get our hopes up about a release of a favorite film but this thread will not be about complaints, it will be about the stuff we love. I think that will make this a more enjoyable read and far more interesting.

Remember when DVD was born we were very excited about it and as film buffs the thing we were most excited about was seeing "our list" of films get a release on this format. All the extras that were suddenly available to us related to our favorite films seemed amazing. Well, this thread is about that feeling you got when a film you had always wanted to have appeared in a new special edition DVD. What have been the discs that have really rocked your world when you were finally able to hold that film in your hands?

To me it's the older films that generate excitement. We know every new film will get a DVD release and extras are a given with them. Nothing sparks excitement like a film you've wanted for years and years finally appearing on DVD with a boatload of extras, special features, and missing footage restored. That really packs a "wow!" factor to me.

Here are some that for me were great releases and highlights in my collection:

Winter Kills Two disc set from Anchor Bay: Ok, this is one of my all time favorite DVD releases. Winter Kills is not a popular or well known film but it's a great one with an all star cast and crew. This two disc set is packed with great special features and gives this little known film the red carpet treatment usually reserved for blockbusters. Unlike a lot of the babble you normally get in special features interviews the folks on this disc pretty much shoot from the hip. The interviews on this disc may be some of the best I've ever seen as these guys don't just sit there and say how great it was to work with everybody. They tell some very interesting stories and nothing is held back. It helps that the story of making this film is as good as the film itself. I never thought I'd see this film on DVD let alone in a two disc set packed with extras.

The Complete Mr. Arkadin from Criterion: Having owned some different versions of this film on DVD and seeing how poor they all were this set blew me away. Not only does the film look great in all three versions but you get amazing extras as well. Obviously it's easy to point to Criterion when you want to discuss these things and I could just create a whole list of Criterion films here. Again the thing I love about a set like this is all the time I spent chasing this film and trying to see any copy of it I could. To have so much compiled into one set is fantastic. With DVD films get another chance to be seen and films like Winter Kills and Mr. Arkadin deserve your time.

The Sergio Leone Anthology from MGM/20th Century Fox: I knew at some point the Leone films would get the special edition treatment and I waited to pick them up until this box set arrived. I spent a whole weekend just watching this set and boy was it fun. I've always felt that until recently the Leone films never got much respect but I think that has now changed. This set is another dream come true for film buffs. Of course getting Once Upon a Time in the West is a must to go with these. It's funny but as I write this it occurred to me that all these films I'm listing have a dreamlike quality, meaning they exude this sort of hyper real but not real beauty that draws you into them and makes you want to return to them.

F for Fake from Criterion: What can I say, I love Welles and this was one of those films I was just dying to own. Again you can always count on Criterion to do things right.

Sam Peckinpah's The Legendary Westerns Collection from Warner Brothers: This set with all of the extras had me like a little kid at Christmas, I could not wait to open it and dig in. I love these films and all the extra Peckinpah stuff was just a lot of fun to listen to and watch.

So, there's bunch to get things rolling, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts and hear what you consider a great release or a gem in your collection.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
The Decalogue/Dekalog ...

... in my mind, this film (or series of films) had attained myth-like status: something you would occasionally read about, but could never hope to actually see, much less own. As far as I know, up until the time it was released on DVD, it had never been released in any other format.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, Dave, that's in my collection too. As are films like Bad Timing which I thought due to it's reputation would never be released and Saint Jack a great lesser known film.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
For me, "Fight Club" was induction into the wonderful world of DVD extras. The two disk was LOADED. Four commentary tracks. A ton of extras including multi-angle features, trailers galore, behind the scenes etc... That DVD sucked me in and got me addicted to the format, and I've been addicted ever since.

I've got better DVD's for sure, but Fight Club will always hold a special place in my heart.

The Matrix boxed set is probably my favourite release of all.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Piece of cake.

LOTR Extended Editions.

And on the music side the Full Recording Boxsets for each of the films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks