What's new

The best of Jerry Lewis on DVD - Finally! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, Columbia needs to get The Big Mouth
out on DVD. That ranks as one of my favorite
Jerry Lewis films.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I like some of Jerry's solo films, but the Martin and Lewis ones are fresher and less "hit you over the head" without Jerry's excessive double takes... sometimes triple and quadruple ones. After a while Jerry's mugging didn't befit his age in the solo films in my opinion. His last batch of films, some unreleased here, were simply dreadful. Jerry was just going through the motions and repeating himself. I look forward to those double bill M&L films someday!

JimmyWilson

Agent
Yes, I too favor THE BIG MOUTH for a non-Paramount JL selection. THREE ON A COUCH also has its moments, but is a lesser film on the whole. So....let's get going Columbia!!!

I really enjoy ALL the Martin & Lewis pictures collectively. What a tremendous comedy duo they were .... such chemistry together! My favorite M & L flicks are LIVING IT UP & ARTISTS & MODELS, however, with SAILOR BEWARE, HOLLYWOOD OR BUST, YOU'RE NEVER TOO YOUNG, JUMPING JACKS, & THE STOOGE rounding out the list. I can only presume that eventually over time these great Martin & Lewis classics will be given their due on DVD.
Let's hope!

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I would like the following Martin and Lewis movies on DVD
- Artists and Models
- At War with the Army
- Living it Up

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Here's a list of the M&L films from last to first. Would make great double features as I previously said:

"Hollywood or Bust" (1956)
"Pardners" (1956)

"You're Never Too Young" (1955)
"Artists and Models" (1955)

"Living It Up" (1954)
"Three Ring Circus" (1954)

"Money from Home" (1954)
"The Caddy" (1953)

"Scared Stiff" (1953)
"The Stooge" (1953)

"Jumping Jacks" (1952)
"Sailor Beware" (1951)

"That's My Boy" (1951)
"At War with the Army" (1950)

"My Friend Irma Goes West" (1950)
"My Friend Irma" (1949)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I prefer Jerry's early solo comedies to the Martin and Lewis films, but I hope Paramount does a favor to fans everywhere and releases everything they've got to DVD.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Today, March 16 is Jerry's 78th birthday. He's looking much better as you can see:

He plans to lose another 22 pounds and then he'll look like this!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

Probably not in our lifetime!

Happy birthday, Jerry! I plan to immitate your cool stroll through London when I land there in a few days. :D

Btw I might be in the minority here and I'm not sure who holds the rights for that matter, but I hope Hardly Working comes to DVD one of these years!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ah ok, thanks for the info Peter. I haven't seen Hardly Working in a very long time so I don't know if the humor still holds up but I would buy it on the spot if I ever see it in stores.

I do recall another movie that came after HW and it starred Jerry with(I think) Madeline Kahn as two aliens that land on earth. Came out in the early-to-mid 1980's. Saw that movie at theater with my folks. It was pretty bad. Made Hardly Working look like the Citizen Kane of comedies(if that makes any sense). :D

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Nobody's mentioned my favorite The Delicate Delinquent with Darren McGavin, Frank Gorshin, and Rock Marciano.

I'd also buy (if OAR and in no particular order):

The Bell Boy
The Geisha Boy
A Visit To A Small Planet
The Ladies Man
The Big Mouth
The Nutty Professor
That's My Boy
My Friend Irma
Don't Give Up The Ship
Artists and Models
Living It Up
Rock-a-Bye Baby
The Family Jewels
Boeing Boeing

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The Delicate Delinquent was actually written as a vehicle for Dean And Jerry. When they split, Darren McGavin took over the Dean part. He didn't sing though. It has a very funny opening sequence.

JimmyWilson

Agent
Add 2 more Jerry Lewis flicks (THE STOOGE & THE FAMILY JEWELS) to the list of classics coming to DVD soon. According to the following recent article from the Las Vegas Sun, the number of JL classics to be transferred to DVDs now numbers 10:

March 19, 2004

VegasBeat -- Timothy McDarrah: Lewis always glad to give back

VegasBeat appears Sunday through Friday in the Las Vegas Sun. Timothy McDarrah can be reached at [email protected] or at (702) 259-4096.

•••

WEEKEND EDITION

March 20 - 21, 2004

Jerry Lewis
was in Atlanta on Thursday to dedicate the Jerry Lewis Healing Theater inside Emory University's new Orthopaedics & Spine Center.

The theater is the brainchild of Lewis and Emory's Dr. Scott Boden, who share a belief in the power of laughter to heal.

"I've been thinking about this idea since the night my grandmother died," Lewis told Atlanta Journal Constitution. "I was 11, sitting in a waiting room in Newark. It was this clinical, cold, less than warm set of circumstances. This was a dream. I never thought about it in terms of coming to fruition."

Lewis says he would like to see the Emory theater as the launch pad for a more fully realized teaching facility that could examine and instruct others in the healing powers of comedy.

"I would love that. I don't know if I'll see it in my lifetime but oh God, yes. That would be wonderful."

Lewis returns to Las Vegas this week to start recording audio commentaries for 10 of his classic films with his neighbor, Steve Lawrence.

The upcoming DVD releases include: "The Bellboy," "The Stooge," "Cinderfella," "The Patsy," "The Errand Boy," "The Family Jewels" and "The Nutty Professor."

•••

Including the previously reported THE LADIES' MAN, the number of announced Lewis vehicles for DVD treatment equals 8. I wonder which other 2 choices will round out the reported "10 of his classic films" to DVD? I'm hoping they're 2 from the following in order of preference:

THE DISORDERLY ORDERLY
ROCK A BYE BABY
LIVING IT UP
ARTISTS & MODELS
WHO'S MINDING THE STORE?

Only time will tell.....
Keeping fingers crossed.....

:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought of another Jerry Lewis film. Who remembers "The Sad Sack"? I don't know what studio it was with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks