The best of helicopter air stunts/choreography...some suggestions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by YANG, Mar 12, 2002.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

I will not include those titles which have CGI effects...

1.APOCALYPSE NOW- Ride of the Valkries

2.RULES OF ENGAGEMENT- Rescue deployment

3.BLACK HAWK DOWN- Landing in a narrow street,troops deplyment

4.WE WERE SOLDIERS- While one choppper is spinning,ready to crash,the paramedic bird comes from the back to the LZ.Both nearly crash head to head.

2. Bernhard

Bernhard Stunt Coordinator

There is some serious Helicopter flying in the opening sequence of For Your Eyes Only...

3. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

BLACK HAWK DOWN contains CG effects -- real helicopter bodies on a crane with CG rotors added. Which shots specifically were you thinking of?

EDIT: How about T2? There's some nice helicopter stunt work there, particularly when it flies underneath the freeway overpass.

4. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

How about Firebirds, with Nick Cage as the hot-shot Apache pilot.

Some pretty nice stunts there...

5. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Don't forget about Cliffhanger. It was done with models and done very well if you ask me. The whole shot with Sly hanging on the ladder while the helicopter is flipping over in slow motion with the blades going. Cool stuff.

I seem to remember alot of 80's action films that had alot of actual helicopter stunt work and precision flying including chases, etc.

Oh for some very well done close to the ground flying and manuevering check out Rat Race. Some nifty real stunt flying there.

6. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Chris,
    I've only read an article so you probably know more than me about this, but wasn't the only use of CG in Black Hawk Down the actual crashing of the Black Hawk choppers in the city and the rest of the time they actually used real ones for the deployment of the troops in the city?

7. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Hope that i am not wrong with BLACK HAWK DOWN notable scenes.

1.When the troops left the base camp on the way towards the attack zone,that grand scale of flying choppers somewhat reminds me of APOCALYPSE NOW...the birds are real right?

2.Reaching the LZ,the camera focus on one of the character sitting at the exit of the "humming bird",there are numbers of other choppers at the back...until the actual landing and deployment...those are real right?

3.When the BLACK HAWKS got hit,it spins around...that is a definite CGI effects!

4.When the BLACK HAWKS crashed to the ground...that's a crane gimmick...right?

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I thought the "The Stunt Man" had a helicopter flying wildly at the end. At the time I saw that film, I thought the it was an impressive piece of stunt flying.

9. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Just to add two more titles to the list...

DIE HARD 1-

Most of the scenes involving the HUEY were done with miniatures,during the scene where the HUEY flies from the street towards the NAKATOMI building,i wonder if that is miniature effects as well.The part which impressed me is the arial photography that was done when the HUEY was going to the top of the building...the "...yeeehaaa!Its like fucking SAIGON!..." part.

FACE OFF-

The most memorable scene is at the airport runway,where the chopper versus the jet plane.

BROKEN ARROW-

Just like DIE HARD,there are few scenes that involves the use of miniatures.There is one part which i wonder if it's real...When the bad guys got the HUEY,they were on the way to attack HALE.The chopper flies along the narrow valley...hope that that is not a miniature effects...

10. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

The part in Die Hard 1 where the Huey is flying through the streets towards the building was done live. They had two shots to do it. I think they talk about it in the extras somewhere.

11. Brett Burgess

Brett Burgess Auditioning

My additions:

BLUE THUNDER - Lots of good stunts and chases in and around buildings.

OUTBREAK - Pretty good helicopter flying scenes during last half of movie.

TRUE LIES - A few good helicopter scenes. The scene where Harry Tasker pulls his wife from the limo as it falls is one of my favorites from that movie.

LETHAL WEAPON - Some good helicopter scenes. Nothing extraordinary, but some good flying nonetheless.