What's new

the best moment experienced in my home theater! (1 Viewer)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this is the right section to post this in, but tonight I had my best home theater experience.
My wife and I had friends over and we watched Shrek (which looked awesome BTW). We have had our new Toshiba 42H81 in the home theater for a little over one week, and for almost that long, my wife has said that she misses the old 32" tv.
Tonight, with the friends over, the DTS track selected, and a pristine video transfer of Shrek playing, my wife actually looked at me and said, "this is way better than a movie theater!"
Can it get any better than that?!
------------------
---
rob michaw

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
No Rob, it does not get any better than that as far as i'm concerned!
icon14.gif

------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

John Gates

Second Unit
Way to go Rob!! That's what it's all about, man.
A couple months ago, I was watching Planet of the Apes in the newest theater in town. I looked at my friend next to me and said, "I think this will sound better on DVD at home." :)
Thanks to the HTF, I have made wise purchase decisions, and my theater is better because of the kind folks of this forum.
Thank you,
John

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
Despite the good advice of the people at HTF, my wife did not think that the Toshiba 56" widescreen, outlaw 1050 and svs sub was better than the theatre. She is pretty discriminating about movies and knows all about THX, SDDS and DTS in the theatre. But, her complaint was that "it isn't big enough." Little did she realize she was daring me to get a front projection system!

PaulKH

Second Unit
Sorry Rob, Jah-Wren's response that his wife said their TV isn't big enough is MUCH better
biggrin.gif
But seriously though, many people have said my HT sounds better than any movie theater they go to. I think that's why movie theaters are more and more becoming places where mainly teenagers hang out.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Instead of bugging me to take them to the latest movies, my kids(aged 9 and 6) say to wait until the DVD comes out and the can watch it at home.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
You've gotta love comments like that from the SO :)
When I was watching Gladiator on DVD I said "Wow this sounds like we're actually at the theater" and the reply was "This is even better than the theater"!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Every time I watch a new DVD at home I say to myself that
this is without a doubt better than the theater experiances
that I have had at local theaters. No more "crunch" sounds
as people hog down the overpriced pop corn, No more people
talking because they know in my theater they will be shot! :)
My question is this, To duplicate "The Theater Experiance"
to the utmost, shouldn't we be sprinkling pop corn all over
the floor,spilling pop in the isles and sitting in horribly
uncomfortable squeeky chairs?
biggrin.gif

------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I were at a local theater which is generally considered the best in town; Digital sound, THX, stadium seating, rocking seats, etc. We used to love going to the movies until I got into home theater. Once I noticed she got a funny look on her face after the THX trailer finished. She leaned over and said "That was kinda weak, it sounds better at home."
Yep.
biggrin.gif

~Crowe~

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
quote: Once I noticed she got a funny look on her face after the THX trailer finished. She leaned over and said "That was kinda weak, it sounds better at home."
Yep. [/quote]
I was thinking exactly the same thing when I heard the THX trailer at a local THX theater. :)
[Edited last by Bob_A on November 11, 2001 at 02:35 PM]

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Its awesome isnt it. I exchanged an old 4x3 HD Toshiba set for a new 50H81.
The old set was 55" and my wife kept complaining about the smaller, wide screen, up until last night.
We had some friends over and i just bought "Final Fantasy".
Personally i am still being amazed at the picture quality of this set.
Anyway, my wife too was amazed at how the movie looked and said that i made a wise decision getting the new set :).
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

Shad R

Supporting Actor
OK, my system is not as amazing as any of yours! (32 inch RCA TV, Onkyo reciever with 75x5, Dolby Digital, JBL reference fronts, Polk Audio center, and Boston surrounds, with a 12 inch JBL sub cranking out 20 Hz). However, when I put on Gladiator, my new roomate said "holy crap, that sounds better than the Cinemark!" And the cinemark has SDDS! I may sound crazy, but I prefer watching movies at home with my (AVERAGE!@!!!) system over venturing out to the movie theaters(IMAX showings exluded). My average system sounds better in my home than a movie theaters sound. Amazing.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I will agree with most of our setups sounding better than theater in the following ways:
- Clarity
- Surrounds (you can hardly hear them in most theaters, and they are often positioned ahead of you! :eek :)
- BASS (nuff said)
BUT
One thing I cannot get in my room, and that still make theaters worth it is... THE SIZE AND SPACIOUSNESS OF THE SOUNDSTAGE - should spaciousness happen to be a word. I am not sure how to describe this, but I think it is just impossible to duplicate in a much smaller room.
--
Holadem

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Glad to hear you're enjoying your theater Rob. That's what it's all about. :)
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
well, I don't have a home theatre (as of yet), but Nothing beats the soundsystem of an IMAX theatre. (IMO).
I kind of detest normal theatres because their soundsystem isn't really upto par with some HT systems these days...
------------------
I love you!! YES YOU!!!

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Jah,
"it isn't big enough."
Are you sure she was talking about the TV.......... :)
just kidding............
I think my wife likes our new 65" TV more than I do, if that's possible............
Bigger is better.............

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks