The Best Man Toast...Ideas?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, May 29, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My brother is getting married this Sat. (May 31, 2003) and I am the best man. I have some ideas of what I am going to say, but I want something else to add that'll make it special.

Does anyone have any good quotes that'll really make the toast? Here's one I'm kinda fond of:
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward in the same direction."

Any ideas?

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Yeah, I know. I'm a bad person.

3. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

Theres about only 2 people in the entire reception that give a shit what the best man says during his toast. Everyone else just wants to go back to there conversations.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Keep it short. A sentence or two is fine. Don't make people wait to get on with their dancing and partying.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Keeping it short is good advice. I would suggesting trying for something personal instead of a quote. My youngest brother was my best man while still a teenager, and he got a big laugh by saying it was the first time he'd given a toast, the first time he'd been a best man, and the first time he'd worn a tuxedo. Then he wished us health and happiness and sat down.

At a good friend's wedding, his best man (also a friend of mine) told a 90-second story about the moment when he realized that his friend the groom had found the right woman. (The crux of the joke was that the groom is notoriously phlegmatic and unenthusiastic, so when he was asked whether he'd enjoyed his first date with his future bride and he answered, "YEAH!", his number was obviously up.) Got a big laugh, wished them health and happiness and sat down.

M.

6. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

1.Always tell a funny personal story about groom.
    2.Give a good reason why the groom is lucky to have his new bride.
    3. Tell them how happy you are for them.
    4. Toast

5. Hit on bridesmaids.

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

And do not get annihilated before giving the toast...

8. Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen Stunt Coordinator

George Costanza's curse toast. Doesn't matter what you say as long as it's littered with expletives.[​IMG]

9. MarkHastings

I think I might add this into the speech

10. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

"I once knew a man from Nantucket"....

11. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I was the best man in my brothers wedding. I basically said I wasn't big on public speaking so I am going to keep this short. I told them that I loved them, that I wished them the best, blah blah blah. Then I ended it with "Now hurry up and make me an uncle". I got a big laugh and my toast kinda set the tone for the next few toasts.

P.S. They made my toast wish come true on May 8th [​IMG]

12. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto

13. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I rehashed every wedding toast I ever heard before "toasting" my nephew and his wife last year.

This is what I came up with.

1. No stories about other women. This is the bride's day. Don't even allude to it.

2. Memorize your toast. In one of the worst toasts I ever heard, the best man buried his head in four pages of yellow 8x14 paper and read with absolutely no emotion.

3. Laughs aren't always necessary. The best toast I ever heard was from my nephew, to me and my wife five years ago and he never even went for a laugh. It was pure sincerity. He got a bigger reaction than any joke.

4. If your nervous imagine everyone naked!

14. MarkHastings

15. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

16. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Mark,

How did it go?

17. MarkHastings

Oh, I forgot about this thread...The speech went AWESOME!

Not to brag, but everyone said it was one of the best speeches they've heard. My brother is not the sentimental type, so I made sure the speech was light-hearted and not too serious. I used the 2 things I mentioned earlier (about my brother finally agreeing that I was the best man, along with the 3 index cards).

The other cool part was, my parents had an Elvis impersonator there (my brother is a BIG Elvis fan) so I worked that into my speech...

After I did the toast, I walked out onto the dance floor and said how I wanted to do something really special...at this point, nobody had any idea about the Elvis impersonator. I mentioned how my brother loves Elvis and that I wanted to do an Elvis performance.

I stood on the dance floor, preparing to sing, when I stopped and said "But you can't do an Elvis performance without a GRAND entrance". Then I ran off the dance floor and out of the reception area. At this point everyone was wondering where I went (some also figured I'd run back into the room dressed as Elvis), but I handed the wireless mic to Elvis and he made his grand entrance.

Everyone went WILD when he came out and started singing...it was definitely a great surprise and a fun time.

18. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I saw the title and was like "What the hell is MAN TOAST?"

[​IMG]

19. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    Elvis...that's awesome! Where was this thread a year ago before my wedding??

My best man made fun of my LaserDiscs. [​IMG]

20. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I was the best man at my brother's wedding on the 26th, and I had to read mine off paper, because I hate public speaking, and 215 people is about 214 too many for me to be comfortable speaking in front of.

I went for touching and humorous, addressing both the bride and groom with equal time. I included the fact that the bride's first and middle names were what my brother would have been named had he been a girl, included a friendly reminder that the bride attended the rival college to the one her parents attended in order to be near my brother (FSU and UF). I think that one went over the best.

And the final toast itself included a huge inside joke that has been talked about amongst the two families since they started dating over 6 and-a-half years ago.

I'll have to publish it at some point.