What's new

The best game you never finished (1 Viewer)

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Halo
I was supposed to destroy some "generators" or something and couldn't find them. Got frustrated and have yet to go back. I will someday...maybe.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Rob-

You're so close!

Here are some tips; they're not spoilers, but I'm tagging them just in case.

Don't wait for the ship to crash. When Cortana tells you to stop and wait, tell her to screw off and keep the pedal to the metal. Just keep going. You'll finish.

Also,

If you slow down and look, there are tunnels that lead off of the main path; some are short cuts that can save you time and allow you to finish before the ship blows.

I hope you finish...

Oscar_R

Second Unit
Hey Calvin,

You're not missing much by not finishing Shenmue.....

god I hated that "game" *cough* coke vending machine simulation *cough*

Brian Girard

Agent
Phantasy Star 4 I'm at the last boss, Dark Force. I just started playing another RPG and forgot to finish this one. Incidentally this game is also the most I've ever paid for a game. $95 on the day it was released.

Super Mario 64, I've beat the game but not with all the secrets. Both Legend of Zeldas for the N64. Got bored with both games. The first one I mostly fished on it. Second one like stated earlier here, I just got tired of the three day ritual.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
John,

I know Im close and I've actually gotten so far as to be literally a couple of feet from entering my rescue ship but, alas, I didn't.

I couldn't bear going thru that level again, with all the slowdown and poor controls. Maybe I'll get the urge again but I have FFX holding me over for now.

What really bothers me about the last level in Halo is that:

You have no way of beating the last level on the first try! They lead you to believe that you've made it to the rescue point - those are nothing but wasted, precious seconds.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I also never finished System Shock 2 (and I don't have a PC now), although I was enjoying it very much.

Wizards and Warriors for the NES..

Being thoroughly riveted through the first 60% of MGS2, then letting sheer momentum take me through the next 35%... by the time I got to Solidus
I was so thoroughly disgusted with having to sit through 30 minutes of pointless exposition that I never revisited the game. I actually have no desire to go back and beat it.

Joseph

Oscar_R

Second Unit
Ok Joe,

Sounds like I'll have to come over to you apartment and BEAT Metal Gear 2 for you. ugh.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
FF7 was my first RPG, so I got REALLY into it and then stopped somewhere on the third disc. Same with 8. Eventually, went back and beat both. FF9 and X were beaten within a month (FFX was two weeks, actually).

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I'll tell you the best game I have no intention of finishing: Project Gotham
That game rocks, but I played up until I unlocked the Lotus Exige, and I had to put it down. How anyone has the fortitude to acquire 200,000 kudos to unlock the last car (F50?) is beyond me! I go back to it now and then because I love the game, but there's no way I will ever be good enough to finish it.

paul_v

Second Unit
Man I dont see how you guys couldnt finish System Shock 2. THat game rocks. I thought it was better then Half Life, which is one game I havent finished.

Gary King

Second Unit
I don't remember there being too much slowdown when I beat The Maw in single-player mode. There was quite a bit in coop, though.

However, even with slowdown, that last ride is my all-time favorite video game moment. It's an amazing ride. It can be beaten even if you wait for the rescue ship to be destroyed, but you can't make many mistakes. I don't remember the driving being too much more difficult at the higher difficulty levels, either.

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
I did the same thing Morgan did with Final Fantasy VII and VIII. IX was the first of the series that I actually finished right away. For some reason I couldn't face the fact that VII was going to end -- so I stopped playing and focused on beefing up my characters more. Once I realized that many years had passed by, I 'finally' just went into the crater and finished it off. Which made me feel like a knucklehead ultimately, since the ending would have been so much better back when I was emotionally invested in it.
And now I'm 'finally' working on ending FFVIII -- though I usually just play card games for hours at a time. *slaps forehead* D'oh!

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Rob-

I'm sorry you don't like the last level. If you've come within a few feet of the objective, then you've gotten the gist of it. You're just missing the ending cinematic that, while nicely produced, is not earth-shaking (although there is a little surprise at the very end of the credits).

I had a blast with it. It was difficult, but once you get the hang of the jumps, its a lot of fun to see the warthog flying through the air with all the carnage going all below.

Its especially fun with two player, one driving and one on the .50 cal.

Well, like I said, sorry it was a disappointment.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Abe's Odyssey
Fun game, just never put in the time to finish it...I'm not much into cheats or walk-thrus (*hints* are ok if I sit in one place for 3 hours or more)
:)
~Rob

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Battletoads for NES
It's not the best game in the world but kept me busy for a long time. Of course, I never finished it. I'm not really that good at games overall! :frowning:

Gary King

Second Unit
I don't think it's possible to beat Battletoads without a Game Genie.

Those levels get ridiculously difficult, and the limited numbers of lives and continues (and the fact that in 2P mode, when one player dies you both return to the last checkpoint) really makes the game borderline impossible.

A fun game, but one that is *way* too hard.

Jason Price

Second Unit
Half-Life. It's a fantastic game, and I put a decent amount of time into it, fully intending to finish it. Then, my HD crashed and I lost all my saved games. Didn't feel like starting completely over, so I put it off and never tried again. Still hope to do that one day...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks