What's new

"The Best Dvds........EVER" or how dan shogren got his dvd collection improved (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Of the almost 600 reviews I've written for digitallyOBSESSED!, only a few discs--five if I've found them all--have garnered straight A grades (style, substance, audio, video and extras) from me. These are:

Titus
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Criterion My Man Godfrey
Criterion Spellbound
Twin Peaks Season One

Quite a few discs just narrowly missed the cut, getting a B+ in one category: Anastasia, Song of Bernadette, The Ghost & Mrs Muir, The Wicker Man LE, Singin' in the Rain SE and some others are certainly worth your attention.

Of course, I don't review everything. LOTR:FOTR Extended Ed. would certainly get straight As from me too, but everyone has that anyway.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
BRAZIL: CRITERION. The picture is non-anamorphic, but this is still one of the finest sets ever put together.

FOTR: EE 'Nuff said

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: MILLENIUM EDITION

THE FANTASIA ANTHOLOGY

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Black Hawk Down 3 Disc Deluxe Edition - an amazing set - in my opinion, right up there with LOTR Fellowship: Extended as far as bang for the buck.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The Godfather. Amazing movies, amazing box set. And Seven. (I see these have already been suggested, allow me to second that.)

The Bond movies, but that's an expensive "set" since there are 19 more movies in 3 boxes for you to pick up.

If you're into Disney movies (I see you have Monsters Inc), then try Atlantis and Emperor's New Groove (2-disc editions, of course). Both are excellent sets, and personally I liked the movies too (especially ENG). Also A Bug's Life.

If you liked Snatch, you should like Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, but the disc is AFAIK not an SE; there's a UK R2 director's cut, don't know if there's a similar one in R1.

And my personal favourite "blind buys", Sports Night and From The Earth To The Moon. (Quite different, I know :D ) The former if you like Aaron Sorkin's writing and irreverant yet intelligent comedy, the latter if you're remotely interested in the Apollo program. Sports Night sadly has no extras, just both seasons in full, but FTETTM has pretty good extras, considering it's a fairly old set by now.

And while we're on the topic of Tom Hanks's TV series, Band of Brothers is a fine set too (although I note you don't have any war movies in your collection -- not interested?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks