What's new

The best DVD scenes to go shopping with? (1 Viewer)

Rick_AAAAA

Auditioning
Hello,

First off if this list already exists please point me in the right direction, or if this post is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.
---
What are some of the best DVD scenes sounds for testing surround sound and speakers quality?

I am about to go out and review a bunch of different speakers systems this weekend and I was wondering which DVD titles should take along with me for comparison?

What I did are some good movie examples of:

1- Environmental sound (scenes which engulf you on all sides, like a storm)
2- Transitional sound (scenes where the sound moves from right to left or visa versa)
3- Clean deep bass (scenes where you feel the sounds as well as hear them)
4- Depth (scenes where the sound moves from the front speakers over your head and fades to the back)
5- Treble/Tweeter test (scenes where the sound will really test speakers high end spectrums)
6- Vocal tests (scenes where vocals tracks should be heard clean and clear above everything else)
7- Any others examples (I am a HT newb so I am sure I missed something)

Here is an example of what I mean (I got it from this forum):

Clean deep bass - "Pearl Harbour" (when the bomb is dropped on the Arizona)

I hope that we can build a DVD list that everyone will find useful when shopping for HT equipment.

Should I worry about all the DVDs having THX and DTS encoding or is Dolby Digtal 5.1 enough?

Thanks in advance!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Don't these stores generally have sampler DVDs from the manufacturers of reference quality surround-sound extracts from a number of music/feature film titles?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Here are some of my favourites...

1- Environmental sound (scenes which engulf you on all sides, like a storm) Daredevil, Titanic - Check the scenes where Rose goes looking for Jack in the submerged levels of the ship.
2- Transitional sound (scenes where the sound moves from right to left or visa versa) A Bug's Life
3- Clean deep bass (scenes where you feel the sounds as well as hear them) Titan AE, Toy Story 2, The Perfect Storm, Pearl Harbour, Vertical Limit, LOTR:FOTR
4- Depth (scenes where the sound moves from the front speakers over your head and fades to the back) Saving Private Ryan
5- Treble/Tweeter test (scenes where the sound will really test speakers high end spectrums) The Matrix, Goldeneye, Twister
6- Vocal tests (scenes where vocals tracks should be heard clean and clear above everything else) Twister, The Perfect Storm due to their very loud storm seqences. Vocals to be heard despite that.
7- Any others examples (I am a HT newb so I am sure I missed something) Gladiator, The Mask Of Zorro, Eagles: Hell Freezes Over For their music/score.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Phantom Menace - The pod race and the final battles use aggressive surrounds and deep bass.

Rick_AAAAA

Auditioning
Jason Whyte wrote:
The Phantom Menace - The pod race and the final battles use aggressive surrounds and deep bass.
Cool I have this DVD... thanks
----

Well I am off to the video store and then to a few of the local stereo shops.

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks