The Best DVD Producer??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheBat, Jan 15, 2002.

1. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    With the annoucement that Mr. Van Ling is going to do a chat with the home theater. I got to thinking about the DVD Producers. They put alot of work into the dvds to make us the DVD fans very happy.. From Superman, Snow White, To Terminator, and Conan The Barbarian,and to other great movies on dvd.

My favorite is Van Ling. I like how he does the menus and look and sound on the dvds. His work on The Abyss, T2, T1, Star Wars and others are great dvds.

What about everyone else?

PS I love the easter eggs that Van Ling does.. (not to start a war about that)..

I would like to give credit where its due.. They work hard to put these dvds together.

JACOB

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Ditto to what you said. I also give much credit to whoever did Shreks menu system.

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Who produced Criterion's SE of Rushmore?
    Fantastic presentation. Well-chosen extras. Animated menus that don't drag. A classy disc for a classy film.

4. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

Van Ling has done plenty of good stuff.

Other people off the top of my head who I've learned to trust their work are David Prior and Charlie DeLazurika (sp?)

5. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I'm with PhilipG - the producer in question is Susan Arosteguy of The Criterion Collection, who's discs are fantastically good.
    To list a few of hers: Rushmore, Chasing Amy, Fiend Without A Face, Beastie Boys Anthology, Carnival of Souls, Rebecca, Notorious, The Orphic Trilogy box set and others.
    Here's an interview from DVD Shrine.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Jon, that's a great interview with Ms. Arosteguy!
    I remember salivating over the following ERASERHEAD exchange when it was first posted (hopefully, the upcoming DVD will be every bit as good as the Criterion would have been):

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

mine is David Prior baby... Fight Club (the HTF DVD of the Year 2000), Moulin Rogue (the HTF DVD of the year 2001), Pearl Harbor: Director's Cut (next year), the Planet of the Apes 2001 (ok, maybe the movie sucked [​IMG] , but the DVD is awesome!)
    I love everything he makes... and he frequents the forum... just in case... you the man Prior! [​IMG]

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Depends what you're into.
    I defineately like Vin Ling's menus the best, but am also partial to J.M. Kenny's sets. Laurent Bouzereau, of course, is the one to beat for documentaries.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    David Shepard.

He produced all the Film Preservation Associates DVD's, most of Kino's silents, and also the Image Charlie Chaplin DVD's.

It's nice to see blockbusters like ID4 and T-2 get the "film school in a can" treatment, but it's even neater when a film from 1919 or 1922 gets a fantastic video transfer with a great score, plus plenty of extras.

10. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    Laurent Bouzereau did a great job with the CE of Conan The Barbarian.

JACOB

11. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Whoever were the people behind MGM's "Dressed To Kill" SE deserve major praise. That is an awesome DVD.

Sincerely,

John "Nancy Allen...Hot-cha-cha-cha-cha" Kilduff

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Second the vote for David Shepard. When the George Eastman House refused to license him their restored The Lost World (1925), he personally tracked down film elements for the missing material (plus some more) and incorporated it into his disc + got a commentary from the guy who wrote the book on the film. Van Ling et al get paid the big bucks on blockbusters, but there's no way Shepard's getting rich producing discs on these little silent movies that few of us care about. Yet he still goes the extra mile.

13. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for David Prior. Fight Club was awesome as was Moulin Rouge. Didn't care much for Pearl Harbor but the 4 disc set will make me give the movie a second chance.

14. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Prior is da man, his work is very impressive. I'm looking forward to Charles work on Legend and Bladerunner.

Laurent produces the best docs. I think most of them do a great job, difficult to pick one out.

15. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Van Ling, David Prior, Charlie DeLazurika (sp?) are my favs.

And Laurent B. is the guy to beat for docs!