What's new

The best dvd player period?? (1 Viewer)

KeithR

Second Unit
Doesn't it have to be an HTPC...as there is no D/A conversion to output video. As such, all the scaling, processing etc is done in the digital domain.
Question for thought....and your thoughts are welcome!

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The answer is.....
[This space intentionally left blank]
biggrin.gif

HTPCs are good solutions, but to label any one solution as "the best, period" is misguided.
HTPCs and standalone players have strengths and weaknesses, and the savvy consumer weighs them to determine what's right for them!
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

KeithR

Second Unit
John, to clarify my question, picture-wise the HTPC should be superior, right?.....now user wise, we all know HTPCs aren't for everyone. :)
Are you guys throwing an ATI player into the shootout???

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith,
I'm sure that at least one HTPC will be part of the shootout, yes.
I am by no means the video expert that Stacey is, but there's far more to the answer than scaling.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Don't rule out home theater. The Theata DaVid II also has the capability to output digital video. It has an SDI interface for digital projectors. I hear the picture is simply amazing w/o the D/A conversion on a widescreen.
And of course since it's a component dvd player without other doo-hickey's like a HD or vid card sharing the same power supply, it probably is much better at outputting video than a HTPC. I haven't seen it in person so I could be wrong...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Here is a link to the player:http://www.thetadigital.com/htxps_lt2.htm#david2
Users can also add a 4:2:2 digital-video output to service an outboard video processor with digital inputs. This keeps the signal in the digital domain and prevents the inevitable degradation that occurs during multiple conversions from digital to analog and back again. This option will especially enhance the picture quality on flat-panel plasma screens and digital video projectors, which perform best when fed a pure digital signal.
The David II is available now at a suggested price of $5,000 in stylish platinum or ebony, and can be seen along with Theta's other outstanding products in Booth 1011, Indiana Convention Center, during CEDIA EXPO.
Around $5,000?!? I thought it would be a lot more...

KeithR

Second Unit
Thanks John,
I can't wait to read the shootout in the next few weeks...just to let you know, I don't have an htpc--but rather an RP91. However, I am considering the htpc route for a multitude of reasons including picture quality with a projector. Unreal tournament on a 82" diag. also seems cool :)
Cheers,
Keith

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
Okay a small sample comparison(based on colour and de-interlacing), my All-in-Wonder Radeon based dual processor .2 Terabyte disk storage HTPC vs. my RP91.
Gladiator at 720P vs. Gladiator at 480P -> Radeon by a little
Dinosaur at 720P vs. Dinosaur at 480P -> Too close to call
Dinosaur at 480P vs. Dinosaur at 480P -> Dead draw
Radeon requires ATI Multimedia 4.1 software, Powerstrip, YXY and DVD Genie. All must have the proper settings to produce an image.
RP91, press a button.
Once they get the software straightened out and way easier to implement HTPC will be a viable solution for the average home user. As for now the RP91 is an elegant solution. Except I don't think Serious Sam will run on the RP91
frown.gif

------------------

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
DanG,
what was the display device?
were you using 0 IRE Settings for the Radeon?
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

David Ki

Agent
WOW, I sure hope the Panny can come that close to the ATI Radeon. I'm planning on buying the Panny next month and I just can't imagine it even comming close to the radeon. No DVD player I have tested yet has.

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
quote: Originally posted by: John-D
DanG, what was the display device?
were you using 0 IRE Settings for the Radeon?
[/quote]
The display device used is a Panasonic 56" 16x9 HD-RPTV. Service mode converged for 480P, 720P and 1080i by yours truly and calibrated by Michael-TLV.
The Radeon overlay settings were:
Brightness = 5000
Contrast = 10000
Gamma = 100
Saturation = 12800
which I believe translates out to 0 IRE.
The RP91 had Digital Picture mode at "N" and de-interlace mode is AUTO2. All other video settings were at default.
------------------
[Edited last by DanG on July 25, 2001 at 06:29 PM]

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
David,
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity had our Second Annual benchmark weekend and the debut of DVD technology part 6 on DVD-A (with updates to other technology articles) will begin publishing in the near future.
Our website is Link Removed
We now return you to your regularly scheduled HT Forum.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C2evo22