What's new

the best DVD of ONE-EYED JACKS (1961) (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The screen captures above look better than the DVD's, although there is still room for improvement. Hollywood Insider, a popular website for movie news, evidently saw a review copy: "This forthcoming German Bluray of Marlon Brando's One-Eyed Jacks might look a little better than the various public-domain DVDs out there, but otherwise it's a visual sham of a mockery of a mockery of a visual sham." The page is here:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2011/05/big_tubba_guts_1.php

There's a brief essay here:

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2008/10/fake-out.php

and a slightly longer write-up here:

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/2008/02/26/the_amplifier/stage_and_screen/9885glances_undervalued_classes-one_eyed_jacks.txt

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Regarding Wild Side Video, doesn't this French company distribute solely public domain titles in less than sterling quality? Isn't it a public domain label?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for looking for that up.
I noticed they've released a number of American films in public domain on DVD in France.
Perhaps they acquired a 35mm print from a private collector and there's no involvement from Paramount.
With minimal clean-up, those old IB tech prints can look really nice.

Originally Posted by JoHud
Thanks. Scratch that one for now...
I wouldn't scratch it off too soon on the sole basis of Hollywood Elsewhere.
Let's wait and see.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Richard--W
Thanks for looking for that up.
I noticed they've released a number of American films in public domain on DVD in France.
Perhaps they acquired a 35mm print from a private collector and there's no involvement from Paramount.
With minimal clean-up, those old IB tech prints can look really nice.

I wouldn't scratch it off too soon on the sole basis of Hollywood Elsewhere.
Let's wait and see.
Yes, I suspect the blog writer on Hollywood Elsewhere hasn't seen the German Blu-ray but is making a supposition - which may well turn out to be right of course! I've pre-ordered it anyway to see what it's like (I've lost count of the number of DVDs of this film which I've bought loking for a reasonable version) but obviously only Paramount, holding the original elements, is ever going to be in a position to release the best version.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
A friend just pointed out to me that MGMA/UA is releasing a series of twofers called "Western Classics" -- and one of the twofers is Gene Autry's Boots and Saddles and One-Eyed Jacks!

Now there's a combination!

Has anyone bought this twofer? How is the transfer of One-Eyed Jacks?

http://www.classicmoviesnow.com/boots-and-saddles-one-eyed-jacks-western-classics-double-feature.html

5ad153f1_Jacks.jpg

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
It doesn't seem likely that MGM / UA would have access to a Paramount title which I understand is controlled by Warner Brothers. But are you certain MGM / UA is releasing these? I note there's about 95 Western Classics Double-Features, or nearly 200 films, and they are all public domain titles. Same spaghetti westerns, singing cowboys, low-budget indys, and B programmers that fill the box-sets by Mill Creek, Brentwood, Diamond, TreeLine, Laser Light, etc. Perhaps this is just another public domain edition. Whoever decided on the pairings has a self-destructive sense of humor.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Isn't Classicmoviesnow supposed to be the MGM/UA website? So would non-MGM/UA products be offered there?

It's a puzzlement, to quote the King of Siam.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/industry-news/mgm-classic-movie-mod-site-launches-23845

MGM Classic Movie MOD Site Launches
4 May, 2011By: Chris Tribbey

A new DVD manufacturing-on-demand site launched May 3, offering more than 200 films from the Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer catalog, with fulfillment by replicator Allied Vaughn.

The exclusive offerings from ClassicMoviesNow.com include Old Dracula, How I Won the War: Special Edition and Bobbie Jo & The Outlaw for $17.99 to $19.99, and some films packaged together as two-for-$10, including Billy the Kid Returns, Rough Riders Round Up, Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride and Don’t Look in the Basement.

Visitors to the site can set up an account to order titles, share their wish lists, write reviews and vote for their favorite films. New account holders get a 15% discount off their first purchase, and those who sign up for VIP status get a free DVD.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
ClassicMoviesNow is not owned or operated by MGM, they're just one of the websites that is offering their MOD products. So this double feature disc with ONE EYED JACKS has no connection to the studio.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
The French DVD of One Eyed Jacks arrived so I popped it in for a look.

It is BY FAR the best One-Eyed Jacks I've seen yet. Anamorphic, relatively clear picture and colors are OK. Not exactly a 4K scanned and restored Blu-ray ;) but it's fine especially considering the various wretched releases over the years. I'd be perfectly happy with it except.....

....When watching it with the English language soundtrack, you can't remove the French subtitles. They're not "burned into" the print -- they've been electronically added and the disc does not give you an "off" option. ;(

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by PaulaJ
The French DVD of One Eyed Jacks arrived so I popped it in for a look.

It is BY FAR the best One-Eyed Jacks I've seen yet. Anamorphic, relatively clear picture and colors are OK. Not exactly a 4K scanned and restored Blu-ray ;) but it's fine especially considering the various wretched releases over the years. I'd be perfectly happy with it except.....

....When watching it with the English language soundtrack, you can't remove the French subtitles. They're not "burned into" the print -- they've been electronically added and the disc does not give you an "off" option. ;(
That's common on French DVDs. I have no idea what the thinking is there, but it happens all the time.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Thomas T
Hopefully someone will report in on the quality of the German One Eyed Jacks. They're better about subtitle removal options.
I'll be reporting on the German BRD which I assume comes from the same elements as the DVD. If the images are clean and clear on the BRD and the colors are right, then the DVD will likely also be pretty good.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've just received an email from Amazon Germany informing me that there will be a delay on shipping One Eyed Jacks. Amazon does not specify the cause of the delay nor do they give a revised shipping date.

(When placing my order, I also ordered The Secret Ways with Richard Widmark and Senta Berger. Amazon Germany have now told me they cannot supply this at all!)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Robin9
I've just received an email from Amazon Germany informing me that there will be a delay on shipping One Eyed Jacks. Amazon does not specify the cause of the delay nor do they give a revised shipping date.

(When placing my order, I also ordered The Secret Ways with Richard Widmark and Senta Berger. Amazon Germany have now told me they cannot supply this at all!)
Me too! Home receipt date now estimated as between 7-15 July.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Any word yet on the German DVD and Blu-ray of One-Eyed Jacks?
Here are some frame grabs from the French DVD.
b4912eb1_OEJ36.jpg

bab3392b_OEJ37.jpg

a52628ed_OEJ38.jpg

7cd49832_OEJ39.jpg

efe212d8_OEJ15.jpg

8d8e3ce9_OEJ40.jpg

0f858cca_OEJ42.jpg

82328f3f_OEJ12.jpg

0c51ec53_OEJ41.jpg

05012d48_OEJ43.jpg

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Avoid the Blu-ray. They used a French SD source and it looks really really awful. I've seen some screengrabs in a German board.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks