What's new

The Best Dreamcast Game I've Never Heard Of (1 Viewer)

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-My Dreamcast has been neglected for long enough, and I would like to purchase some great DC games. I would like to know you favorite DC games, with an emphasis on the great ones that flew under popular critical radar. Sleepers if you will. And Import suggestions are also welcome. So, what are they?? :D

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but Shenmue is a great game. Berserk was a fun little action game, especially if you like the anime/manga, though it might be hard to find. And while I'm sure you've heard of it, no dreamcast game recommendation would be complete without soulcalibur.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-Thanks, I'm open to all suggestions. I'll have to research Berserk.

-I have been busy reading this evening, and although it may be a no-brainer, I'm going to start my purchasing with Skies of Arcadia. I also would love Samba de Amigo 2000, but it's difficult to find, especially at a decent price (but then that's what I get with Importing). Also on my radar are Rez, and Arsia in Daydream (Imp).

-Anymore suggestions??

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Shenmue II for Dreamcast :) It's subtitled w/ no stinky dub
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Jet Set Radio (aka Jet Grind Radio) is actually pretty good, although it gets infuriating difficult sometimes. It's a game you'll love to hate. :)

Hmm, Metropolis Street Racer is another cool game, aside from making you very angry at times. :)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Armada is a pretty fun game if you're inclined to put the time into it. It's a space shooter of sorts, but in a 2D fashion. I really enjoyed this game when it came out.

Glen

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-Great suggestions so far, keep'em coming. I'm wondering if there is an import Jockey game available for the DC. Those crazy Japanese have me intrigued as to thier obsession with those games. (Now I'm getting obscure ;) )

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Sleepers if you will.
Hmmm... What I call a sleeper might not fit what you call a sleeper... And it's a little hard to make broad recommendations when I've no clue what "styles" you prefer...

Available in the US:

Demolition Racer: No Exit
A more polished "Destruction Derby" for the DC with a ton of modes/tracks to unlock & a ton of fun gameplay. Coming first doesn't win races, you have to rack up enough damage on the other cars /and/ come high enough. I had a lot of fun with this.

Fur Fighters
Hard to describe - think the action sequences from Conker's with more "puzzle solving" & less reliance on platformer bits. By the MSR guys. Great graphics, great sound, great gameplay.

18 Wheeler
Sega's arcade truck driving game... The single player "story" mode is a joke that takes 30 mins to complete, but the real joy is in multiplayer - race semi's around tracks or through the cities in the story mode, plowing through the vehicles in your way... Or challenge each other in the parking mode. I've had hours of fun with this, but it gets routinely slagged & ignored because of the pitiful story mode.

Coaser Works
Build rollercoaster in 3D. Watch it crash horribly. Repeat. Lots of fun :) Nothing at all like Theme Park or Rollercoaster Tycoon, this concentrates 100% on building a 3D rollercoaster using a real cool interface. Then you "run" it & see the how bad the G-forces etc are.

Time Stalkers
100% a Japanese dungeon crawler - you enter dungeon, you slash until you reach the top of the tower, you exit dungeon. Repeat. If you're fine with that, this is a great example of the genre. If you want story/adventure, go with Skies or Grandia 2.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
2 I always push:

Seaman-Unique and utterly wierd but fun.

Draconus- One of my favorite DC titles. Technical issues aboud but the game is still fun as all can be:).

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-Brian and others concerned with my tastes; don't worry too much, I'm not concerned with pigeon-holing myself on this subject, I'm leaving this topic open to whatever you guys suggest. I'm open minded and I would like to hear whatever you say about any DC game you liked, regardless of my usual preferences. Otherwise I might miss a title like Seaman.

-And speaking of Seaman, Romier, I forgot about this game,... just re-reading about it made me laugh,... it'd be a unique title, good for getting people to be like "what is that?" :D

-And funky Monkey, I have my eyes set on Lemans, it's easy to get and cheap too. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
Some suggestions:

I'd recommend buying a light gun (should be cheap) and purchasing "House of the Dead 2" and "Confidential Mission". Just stay away from "Death Crimson OX".

Some others:

Silent Scope - A good pick-up-and-play for 10 minutes kind of game.

Mars Matrix - Addictive "old school" shooter, probably hard to find now.

4X4 Evolution - One of my favorite driving games for the Dreamcast, though I'm definitely in the minority on this one.

Zombie Revenge - Nice action shoot-em-up.

Evil Twin - Import platformer, really nice visuals.

Headhunter - Another import, this felt like a pre-cursor to "Splinter: Cell" for me.

Fur Fighters - It was mentioned above, I couldn't agree more.

Seaman - I agree, a totally unique experience. I'm sure my neighbors thought me crazy when they heard some of our "conversations". Sadly my Seaman passed away when I took a 3 day vacation last February. First game I ever owned that I regret not getting a babysitter for.

Maken X - Good 1st person action game, where you primarily use a sword. Pretty tough though.

Expendable - Contra type game, good for 2 player action.

Plenty of great driving games too, especially if you get a wheel. Some that weren't mentioned above:

Vanishing Point - Aggravating AI, but one of the nicest looking racing games on the DC.

Sega Rally 2- For the Rally fans.

And finally my 2 most played games that you most certainly have heard of.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 - I played this for hours on end.

Crazy Taxi - Another blister maker for me...between this and THPS2 I went through a lot of controllers.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-Thanks Mike, some good leads there! :emoji_thumbsup:

-More from my search, I'm not what you'd call the biggest fishing fan, but I'm a sucka for arcade peripherals,.... So I'm also looking at the Sega fishing titles,... I can pick up the DC Rod/reel contoroller and a couple of titles for about $23, sounds like the right price to me!

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second Mars Matrix, and toss in Ikaruga to boot.

Are you into fighters? If so, DC is your system. I suggest:

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (which is FANTASTIC.)

King of Fighters 2002

Last Blade 2: Heart of the Samurai

Guilty Gear X

Vampire Chronicle (a.k.a. Darkstalkers - Click the "current project" link in my signature)

I'd also suggest Record of Lodoss War and Cosmic Smash

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-Ok, so I've got title suggestions rolling in, Great! But now I need to locate titles, so what are some suggestions to finding DC titles.

-I can easily search the web and see what turns up, and there's always Ebay and the like. I live in the Boston area, if that helps. I guess I'm wondering if there are stores that still carry any DC inventory that I might dig up a gem or two, aside from the Game stores like EB and gamestop?

-P.S. I plan on posting whatever DC stuff I end up purchasing, prices, and locations of purchase just for the fun of it. I'm looking to have fun expanding my DC library with great games and hoping to get good deals in the process. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks