The "Best" D.I.Y. tool

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wayne Ernst, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Feb 24, 2002
    For the past 25 years, I've been a woodworker for hobby and professionally. I've owned my share of tools, but none of of them have provided with the "wow" factor of my latest tool. Well ... I didn't mean to keep the suspense going for so long, but the tool is an LPLV spray gun for painting. It's not a very expensive tool at all - in fact, it can be purchased for as little as $13.00. Yes, $13.00.

A few weeks back, I took on a project for building some built-in shelving for a client. I purchased about 200 sq. ft. of MDF for this job. I consider myself to be a pretty good roller/brush painter and use paint conditioners, etc. along with Purdy brushes and can lay down a good finish. But, it takes time. This is where my beloved spray gun comes into play. I picked it up from Harbor Freight at one of their local stores. My 4 gallon "pancake" compressor is capable of supplying the proper pressure to run this beast.

Here's a link to the item at Harbor Freight:
    Spray Gun
    The specs listed at the site are a little off. Initially, this gun didn't capture my attention until I visited the store. The specs on the box indicate it requires much less pressure to keep it going - e.g. 2.9 scfm at 40 PSI.

I actually purchased 3 different guns - this one, an airbrush and a HPLV gun. However, with latex paint, this gun kicks some booty. I just sprayed about 120 sq. ft of MDF in less than 30 minutes today. I'm still getting the motions down, the speed, etc. and am able to lay a pretty good finish with minimal orange peel.

For paint, I've been using Wal-Mart semi-gloss paint, which is supposed to be Sherwin Williams paint. To start off, it's not a thick paint, but I've added a bit of Paint Easy (by Wagner and sold at Lowes or Wal-Mart.)
  2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

May 7, 1999
    I might need to look at one of these when I build my theater.

It's really easy to paint a room(13x18) when youdon't need to worry about overspray[​IMG]