What's new

The best center channel you've ever heard. (1 Viewer)

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
Funny you should mention that, Phil. I believe M&K is where Dave Fabrikant made his reputation before founding Ascend.
I do not know this as fact. I am merely repeating what has been stated in other threads.

David

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Actually, for M&K, check out the MPS-2510/PK. More affordable and still amazing sound would be some Mackie HR-624 monitors all around. I have a pair for mixing music on.

If you want to get really ridiculous, how about ADAM Audio powered monitors across the front, especially the larger ones with the folded ribbon midrange AND tweeter, e.g. the S4A or S4VA.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Agreed, well said. That's what makes "matching" surrounds difficult, different axis, acoustic environment, etc.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Good thread. First, what makes a good center (in addition to normal speaker characteristics):

1) Good off axis response, both veritcal and horizontal
2) Timbre matched well with the mains
3) Has a form factor that can be placed well in your theater.

Some people will say that a good center will emphasize dialog over other material coming out of the center channel but I think this is a big no-no.

That being said, the best center I've ever heard by far is the Revel Ultima Voice.

The best 1000 buck range center I've heard was the ACI Essence that has been mentioned.

If we get down to the range of reasonable mid-fi system then I'd go with the Ascend center that has also been mentioned or the Aperion original center (not the new VACC).

John*SS

Auditioning
I learned a lot of infomation from this thread. Now I have simple question from an audio neophite. It was recomneded that your build your ht from the center channel to the L&R to the side & rears, to the subwoofer. At what point to your determine the best receiver.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A problem with three exact speakers is what to do with the television. In most cases, the television prevents us from placing the center speaker in the same position as the mains. There are workarounds but all workarounds have compromises...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do have a RPTV, this is the best workaround solution I could find. I have the M&K S-150 center which is basicly square and sits flat and on top of a RPTV it would project sound above anyone sitting down. So I purchased some MoPads which allows me to angle the center toward the listening area for both improved listening and to provide some isolation between the speaker and the RPTV.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I think the MoPads sell for about $30. I went to the hardware store and made mine for about $3. Getting the angle right can be a bit time consuming but the results are worth it. The angle isn't always what "looks" right. A very small change made a noticable difference with my center.

David

Max F

Second Unit

After you know what kind of speakers you have (e.g., forward, laid back, bright, etc.), then you can get a receiver that will complement them. Thats what you should do, but most of us don't;)

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
You can also pick up a couple of angled rubber door stops. They cost a few bucks each, won't scratch anything and allow any angle you want by simply sliding them forward or backwards. Work great.

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
Since you have not mentioned a budget I will also have to mirror Mike Duke in advocating JM Lab's cc-900 or cc-901 depending on the size of your mains if you go with the Electra 906 or 907 the 900 would be the fit but if you go with a 927 or 937 the 901 would be the match. Any way you go JM Labs makes an excellent speaker. The 8in "W" cone itself will sell for 500 bucks used. Excellent speakers. The dirvers are used in many other high end brands as well.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
John*SS wrote:

My own method of ground-up planning of system components is as follows:

1) Consider the requirements of the space and who will use it.
2) Find a way to use the best center channel I can given space and budget restraints while meeting or hopefully exceeding performance desires. -adding a second subwoofer may be a logical upgrade down the road if the budget doesn't allow for the performance really justified, but be sure to get an idea of what you would like to end up with down the road and plan to get there!
3) Select a subwoofer solution which makes sense relative to the performance capabilities of the center channel for the given room/space.
4) Select L & R speakers to match the center.
5) Select Processor and Amplification (receiver or othewise) appropriate for the speakers and setup within the budget. -Realistic power requirements need to be considered in #1, where an upgrade in power can be factored in for the future.
6) Determine what you would ideally like to have as surrounds, and then figure out what you can do with the budget for now.

To sum up, first determine what might slightly exceed your current goals, and set yourself on a path to get there, making intelligent compromises initially to fit the budget. It is much cheaper to assemble something in stages with minor upgrades than it is to start all over again.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

That is an excellent plan of attack for HT systems! I think it should be posted at the start of all Home Theater "How To" sections.

John*SS

Auditioning
Thanks Mark et al for advice on building my HT. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

John S.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I recently replaced my paradigm studio cc with the paradigm signiture C3 Ehich is the best center Ive heard. I am pretty sure the monster C5 has an edge but it should for the price tag it carries.

Bob

DanaA

Screenwriter
Another ACI Essence owner/lover here. Someone else mentioned how musical they sound. I concur. On music, their sound is very sweet. Great job on home theater as well. Big brutes though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks