What's new

The BEST CD player (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I know many talked about players on this BB play everything. DVD, SACD, DVD-A, ect. But I would like to know what the best player for around $700 CDN is to play CD's. If it will pplay SACD, DVD-A or what, doesn't matter. Just I really need a nice warm CD player;)
-gear
Denon 2802
Klipsch RF3II's
MIT wires soon
Thanks for any help:D

John Royster

Screenwriter
Sony 555es anyone? Don't know the CDN price but its a lot of player for the money. 600 USD I believe. 5 disc changer, SACD to boot.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, the 'C555ES would be an excellent choice, but to get a good deal on it, you would have to buy it from a US retailer by mail. The 'C555ES retailed for $1700 USD when released in April 2001, but it is now available for around $600 USD from authorized mail order dealers. Check OneCall (1-800-340-4770), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or Oade Bros. (1-229-228-4480 or 1-229-228-0093). For more information on the 'C555ES, check www.crutchfield.com . Note that Crutchfield charges full retail for the 'C555ES, which is $800 USD. I believe all the discount dealers I mentioned will ship to Canada.
I have two 'C555ES changers, one for each of my two stereo systems. It is an excellent CD player for $600 USD. SACD (stereo and multi-channel playback) is a bonus. Build quality on the 'C555ES is very good. I don't feel you can go wrong with the 'C555ES.
There are many other quality players to check out in your price range. Examples include the Sony SCD-C222ES (step-down model from the 'C555ES), NAD C 521i, Heart CD5000 (see Link Removed), Arcam DiVA CD62, and Cambridge Audio D500SE. The Sony players are the only ones to play SACDs, but all the players listed have garnered positive reviews in print and/or online.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Thanks guys! I will have to look at the Sony. Now how does the Technics A10 o with CD's?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Stephen,
The Music Hall MMF-CD25 has gotten good reviews, but at $600 USD, I believe it is out Matthew's price range, so I didn't mention it. So is the 'C555ES, but others had brought it up, so I thought I'd add to the discussion. Along with the Music Hall player, one might also look at the Heart CD6000, Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000(www.upscaleaudio.com), Arcam DiVA CD72T, and NAD C 541i.
The Exposure 2010 CD player got a good review in a British hi-fi magazine recently (What Hi*Fi?, I believe). In fact, it was rated better than the Arcam DiVA CD72T, which had been their class leader before reviewing the Exposure player. I am not sure if the Exposure player is available in the US. Finally, one might also look at the new Rotel RCD-02. I read a favorable review in the current issue of Hi-Fi Choice (UK). The '02 replaced the '961.
Matthew,
I have the Technics DVD-A10, and in my opinion, it is a decent CD player, but nothing special. The 'C555ES is clearly better. I only use the 'A10 for DVD-Audio.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Keith and Matthew,
Just an FYI... the Music Hall is being sold new-in-box by Quest for Sound (check www.audiogon.com) for $489 w/shipping (in continental US)... a store demo is going for $450 w/iso-pads.

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
The Exposure 2010 is avaiable in the US, however, the price is $950.

Exposure dealers in North America are

ABSOLUTE SOUND
4008 MacCORKLE AV
S CHARLESTON, WV 25309
tel. 304.768.7874

ACCESS TO MUSIC
2207 LARKSPUR LANDING CIR
LARKSPUR, CA 94939
tel. 415.461.1568

AFFORDABLE AUDIO
23380 GRANITE CREEK
CLOVIS, CA 93611
tel. 559.298.8548

QUINTESSENCE AUDIO, LTD.
5701 W DEMPSTER
MORTON GROVE, IL 60053
tel. 847.966.4434

SOUNDS LIKE MUSIC
2734 W BELL RD, #1306
PHOENIX, AZ 85023
tel. 602.993.3351

WHETSONE AUDIO
6800 KINGS POINT W.
AUSTIN, TX 78723
tel. 512.477.8503

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Stephen,

$489 is an excellent price for the Music Hall player. Audio Advisor, which tends to be pricey, has it for $600. I believe $600 is the retail price. Is Quest for Sound an authorized dealer?

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I believe the Exposure player is a bit pricier in the US than the UK. Hopefully more dealers will get it in. There are no dealers in our area (I'm in Delaware). I'd like to hear it since What Hi*Fi? named it the best CD player in its price class a few months ago. The Arcam DiVA CD72T had been their class leader, but the Exposure beat it out in a "Group Test".

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I recently had to replace my CD player. Someone suggested checking out Rotel. They are known for great sound and build quality for the money.

I ended up buying the Rotel (model 960?) for $450 US and am VERY happy with it. The sound quality is much better than my old Pioneer CD player and my Toshiba SD6200 DVD player.

I strongly suggest you give Rotel a try.

JimmyK

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Keith-

yeah, no Exposure dealer on the East Coast is VERY annoying. There are a few more that are not listed on the website, but have been announced in their forum. However, the forum has been down for the past few days. They could at least get someone in NYC to carry it. I'm really intrested in purchasing it, and have been tempted to go to Austin TX when i go to Dallas next time.

Matthew-

Rotel is just releasing a new CDP (RCD-02) which is replacing the RCD-961 (MSRP 499 USD). So you might be able to get a 961 at a reduced price.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Hey KeithH,
Quest for Audio is listed on Music Hall's web site as a dealer (so the $489 price should be good to go).... by the way, thanks for the recommendations on my first time buy on SACD. I got the Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and the Charles Mingus "Ah Um", but believe it of not, I haven't had a chance to play them on my SCD-CE775...system is at "home" but I'm staying at my girlfriend's place.

Anthony F.

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the NAD 521i for a couple of weeks now, which I auditioned against the Cambridge Audio CD300 and the Harman Kardon DVD25 (a very nice dvd player, by the way). The NAD won hands down and I boxed up the other players almost immediately. At ~$300 it was an easy decision. Give it a try!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
Do you have a link to the Exposure forum? I'd like to check that out. If you do end up buying the Exposure CD 2010, I'd like to see a review. :)
Stephen,
Thanks for the info. on Quest for Audio. Sounds like a good deal there.
I was glad to help regarding SACD suggestions. I know all about being away from my audio gear when staying at my fiancee's place. It's a tough choice sometimes. :crazy: Do post some thoughts when you give the Miles Davis and Charles Mingus SACDs a spin.
Anthony,
The new NAD C 521i and C 541i have gotten good reviews in a couple British hi-fi magazines. NAD makes excellent gear for the money in my opinion.

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Keith-
The Exposure Forum can be found here
It is not very active...but there are a few comments about the 2010 CDP.
If i do get it...i'll be sure to write a review.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
some good suggestions here...make sure you check out Cambridge Audio, Rotel, NAD, and maybe Marantz. typically, single-disc players will yield better sound (but this is arguable). i personally would go with a computer's cd player as the transport and invest in a quality DAC, but that's just me. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Before you buy an Exposure 2010 CD, you might want to check out the new Arcam DiVA CD82T, assuming it is available in the US. The September 2002 issue of What Hi*Fi? out of the UK has a "Group Test" of CD players priced between £450 and £600, and the players evaluated are the aforementioned Arcam and Exposure players along with the Myryad Z110 (may not be available in the US) and the Rotel RCD-1070. The Arcam, Exposure, and Rotel players all were given five stars out of five, but the Arcam was name the "Test Winner". Here are What Hi*Fi?'s summaries of the Arcam and Exposure players:
Arcam DiVA CD82T
Exposure 2010 CD said:
The build quality of the Exposure player was also rated behind that of the Arcam and Rotel players. You might want to check out this issue of What Hi*Fi? at a Borders or Barnes & Noble.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
What about the Denon Cd changer. (THe 370?) How does that sound. -I would "like" a changer but don't need one. Thanks;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks