What's new

The Best Cary Grant Movies on DVD (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I saw North By Northwest a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed with Cary Grant. I'm of a slightly newer generation and as a result was not exposed to his movies during his heyday.
Can anyone recommend other great Cary Grant movies? An Affair to Remember? To Catch a Thief? Others?
Thanks in advance for the help!
------------------
Scott

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
His Girl Friday from Columbia/TriStar is a classic screwball comedy, and an excellent B&W transfer.
Charade from Criterion is also supposed to be good, although supposedly it is OOP.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Warner Bros. announced Bringing Up Baby at the chat, and you'll definitely want to see that one. Arsenic and Old Lace is a classic. Hitchcock's Suspicion is worth seeing, but I'm not sure if its on DVD yet or not.
------------------
Wang Chi: Here's to the Army and Navy, and the battles they have won. Here's to America's colors, the colors that never run.
Jack Burton: May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.
patriot.gif

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
If you really dug North by Northwest, then definitely check out Notorious. As luck would have it, Criterion has just released a super-duper, special edition of it (a bare-bones w/decent transfer version is also offered by Anchor Bay).
From William Rothman's essay for Criterion:
Notorious establishes a new Hitchcock paradigm, as surely as The 39 Steps did in the 1930s. His subsequent Cary Grant vehicles - To Catch a Thief and North by Northwest — are among the many later Hitchcock films cast in the Notorious mold.
And if you wanna make sure you don't miss out on a great disc of a latter-day Cary Grant movie, then you need to get Criterion's CHARADE right now. It's a Hitch-like movie directed by Stanley Donen and also starring Audrey Hepburn, and the Criterion edition was just announced as "out-of-print" and, as usual, they're flying off the shelves.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Regarding "Charade" - I've been interested in picking it up before, but noted it was not anamorphic and hesitated. Any thoughts on this?
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Regarding "Charade" - I've been interested in picking it up before, but noted it was not anamorphic and hesitated. Any thoughts on this?
John,
If you can find a copy of this dvd, please do buy it! True, it's not anamorphic but this is an excellent transfer and the film is very entertaining with a cast of Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, James Coburn, and George Kennedy.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
My favs (in chronological order):
The Philadelphia Story
Suspicion
Arsenic & Old Lace
Notorious
The Bishop's Wife
To Catch a Thief
An Affair to Remember
Indiscreet
Operation Petticoat
North by Northwest
That Touch of Mink
Charade
Father Goose
Actually I forgot some that I don't yet own cause they're not yet available:
The Awful Truth
Bringing Up Baby
Holiday
Gunga Din
The Bachelor & the Bobby-Soxer
Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House
I was a Male War Bride
Monkey Business
Houseboat
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001
[Edited last by george kaplan on October 19, 2001 at 04:34 PM]

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my all-time fav comedies and much of this is due to Grant and his hilarious comedic acting.
He is equally funny in stuff like Philly Story, Bringing Up Baby (can't wait), and His Girl Friday.
Notorious is not just a great Hitch/Grant film, but almost groundbreaking and not far off the pace of NxNW (which is my fav Hitch).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
All of the acknowledged great ones have been listed, and I can't say anything bad about them, but as far as DVD presentations (transfer and value-added extras), the best are probably North by Northwest, Columbia His Girl Friday, Criterion Charade, and Criterion Notorious. I havent seen the latter DVD, but it has been getting raves, and I enjoyed the Criterion laserdisc which it apparently surpasses in every way.
His Girl Friday and Charade have both been issued as inexpensive public domain titles, but the Columbia and Criterion releases are "the real deal".
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
It's not availible on DVD yet but Gunga Din is totally cool.
The Bachalor and the Bobby Socker is fun too.
But of course my favs are Charade, Nort by Nothwest and The Philidelphia Story. The opening scene with Grant and Kathrine Hepburn is some funny shit.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the great responses. I took some of the advice to heart and started searching for Charade - Criterion Collection. Found it at DVDPlanet.com and ordered it (it will be a Christmas present from my wife, so I can't watch it until 12/25, but at least I'll have it in-hand!). Looking forward to its arrival.
I'm also looking forward to watching all of the other suggested C. Grant movies - thanks!
------------------
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks