What's new

The best boxed set I've ever bought: "Like, Omigod! The 80's pop culture box" (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I've bought a couple of box sets. Many of them have been impressive in their design (Pink Floyd's "PULSE" / The Wall Live), others have been musical treasures ("The Music of Disney - A Legacy in Song") and others have been mediocre (some Narada collections I even refuse to mention).
But opening and playing this disc has surely had an effect on me. First of all, the packaging is like nothing you've ever seen: a vinyl mat with day-glo lettering in 3D, decorated in the strongest hues and patterns you could ever think about. A big book describing the 80's, the attitude, the rythms, and with the background story of every song in the collection. The CDs themselves are beautiful. And by the second track ("Video Killed the Radio Star", actually), my feet were already stomping the ground and I was all cheery. I was looking for my old Vans and Reeboks. I dusted off my old Santa Cruz skateboard. I wondered if I still had my Vuarnet t-shirts. I was happy.
How long ago did the 80's happen, anyway? What happened to the time we were all cheery and happy, all music sounded like an endless display of optimism, every song was an anthem to life? I might be waxing poetic here, but I'm sick and tired of listening to songs that basically say "you suck, I suck, we all suck", that seems to be the predominant post-Nirvana attitude.
In this respect, Rhino's 7 disc wonder of a box set is a must have for all of us who grew up with the original MTV and thought Cyndi Lauper dressed sharply. I cannot recommend this collection enough.
142 songs, 7 CDs, one hell of a good time.
http://www.rhino.com/features/78239p.html?P=RHIfpg

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Sounds pretty cool, from what I heard there was gonna be a GTA: Vice city Soundtrack/boxed set that has like 13 discs of all 80's songs.... arghhh get the 80s away from me

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I bought the set, too. For all you radio purists out there, it has many of the 45 radio edit versions of songs instead of the album versions. It was nice to see they included One Thing Leads To Another by the Fixx with the 45 intro, which is not there on every other compilation that had that song, just one example.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Does it have the 45 version of the "Safety Dance"? (At least I think it's the 45 version, the one that starts out with "S...A...F...E...T...Y"... If it does, I'm gonna grab a copy. Wait a minute, I'll probably pick up a copy either way, as I'm yet another who prefers 80s music over the garbage that passes for pop music these days.

KJP

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
80's rule! :)
that's a pretty good compilation. a lot of alternative and mainstream tracks.
i'd say of my 600 (or somewhere around there) cd's, at least 3/4 of them are 80's related.
i have enough material that i made my own 80's compilations...it got to volume 9 (approx 17 songs per cd), before i got burned out. i think i could go at least several more cd's. :D
btw - a couple of other really good 80's compilations are:
New Wave Hits of the 80's: Just Can't Get Enough
Living In Oblivion: The 80's Greatest Hits
Pop and Wave - there's a whole series of these, but this is the only one i could quickly find
these are mostly along the alternative vein (not so much mainstream) plus there's one or two other ones, but i can't think of them right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks