the best and the worse?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles L., Feb 18, 2002.

1. Charles L.

Charles L. Agent

Dec 21, 2001
    I was shopping the other day for some new movies. While doing so I had decided not to buy twister, since it didn't "claim to have a 5.1 soundtrack. Latter I did the same thing with "Robin Hood Prince Of thieves", before I put it back I noticed it was a WARNER BROS. release. Sure enough twister was too. When I got home I looked through my collection to see which movies really stood out. Universal and Fox home video were the most common. I know theres going to be people that say you can't justify the movie by a 5.1 soundtrack and I agreee. Thats what this format was designed for. If it's a reasonably new movie and in the action genre a 5.1 is the min. I bet that same person doesn't fire up a 2 channel dvd to show off their system. Have you ever seen a movie on the shelf with a higher than usual price tag? You flip it over and want to know why. If theres nothing more there are you going to buy it? I suggest you look through yours and give me your opinion.
  2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

May 16, 2001
    Patrick McCart
    Well, I usually look at the specs to see if the DVD is...

Original aspect ratio and if it's anamorphic.

I like to look at the extras sometimes, but I usually won't pick up a DVD unless I actually want it. Even if a DVD has just the film and perhaps a trailer, I'll still get it just for the movie. After all, what good is a DVD if it has lots of extras, but the movie is crap?

The DVD's that stand out the best are usually those with original poster artwork. I'm not one who really cares about packaging, but it would have been neat if titles like Fantasia, Snow White, Dumbo, and even Willy Wonka had the original poster art instead of some CGI stuff.