What's new

the BEST 53-57" RPTV (1 Viewer)

robert_jenkins

Auditioning
Fellow enthusiasts-
I'm about to move into a new home with an 11ft by 11ft area with an 8ft ceiling that I've set aside for a home theater. The house was naturally mor than we hoped to spend for a home and thus has left me relatively cash poor but with what bit is left I hope to put together a nice setup. I am a PC enthusiast, PS2 gamer, DirectTV customer, and very much enjoy a powerful movie viewing experience.

I hope to spend around $4000 and am therefore leaning towards a RPTV along the lines of something you might find at Sears, BestBuy, or Circuit City. It seems that Hitachi (SWX), Mitsubish, and Sony are the preferred choices there but I can't seem to find clear differntiators between the products. In some stores the Sony looks better, others the Hitachi...I'm guessing largely do to ligthing, positioning, etc. If I were to go with a 57" RPTV...which one is the most for my money? Anything else I should consider here?

Also, I'm looking to hook up my PC to the TV. The Ti4400 does have a DVI card but no TV tuner. Can I use this DVI to connect to a RPTV to play DVD? Assuming so, does anyone have any experience with how this looks?

As for sound, I'm also considering using the PC as the 'hub' and connecting a nice set of 6 channel speakers to that. Anyone got an opinion on that?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Sincerely,
Rob Jenkins

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
The Hitachi is certainly a great RPTV and allows some budget money for compponents and wiring. Now as for DVI, not many DVD players have DVI out yet but will pretty soon. Now may I make another suggestion? Take a look at the 50 inch DLP Samsung. I love the picture quality and it takes up much less space than the RPTV's. Also, it has XGA input for computer and no burn in problems to worry about. 50 inch retails at $4000. Might be out of your budget range and not sure if 50 inch is big enough for you. Keep it in mind. Otherwise I say go for the Hitachi SWX. You can always upgrade the video card on the computer and use Svid or component to connect to the TV.

John Royster

Screenwriter
No real "best" TV as they each have their own set of problems and issues.

But mitsubishi, hitachi and the Samsung DLP sets really look great.

robert_jenkins

Auditioning
Thanks for the tips on the Samsung DLP...It sounds like it could be a winner! Are there any downsides to this technology? Does anybody have any personal experience with these TVs?

The money is more than I want to spend...of course. But if I can use it as a very large PC monitor...It will be worth the extra money I spend. Are you saying that you can not use the DVI on the video card to connect to any TV?

Rob

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
If you have DVI out you should be able to connect to any TV with DVI input. The Samsung you can use XGA. No downside apart from cost that I can see. You do have to change the bulb inside after 8000 hours of use but that's easy to do and the bulbs are not that expensive. They say contrast isn't quite as good as RPTV but I can't see it.

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
If you want true computer bliss, you need a card that will output in 1080i. At this resolution, you will be able to read your text like a PC, remember that the resolution of a standard television is nowhere near the resolution of a good monitor (I run the Samsung 191T at 1280x1024 and love it.)

All tv's handle the computer/DVI/TV hookup differently. I've heard that Sony recommends against this setup in their manuals. I also know that ATI has an HDTV adapter that uses component cables instead of DVI to output in true 1080i. Their 9700 All in Wonder has everything it sounds like you want, but if you're running that 4400 you don't really need an upgrade that bad. I am not sure if any NVIDIA cards run an HDTV out setup. Try Leadtek, they usually have a ton of options for VIVO.

Here is a link to the adapter:

http://www.ati.com/products/pc/hdtvadapter/faq.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks