What's new

The Benefactor (1 Viewer)

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I hate reality shows but this garnered my interest. I liked the quick dismissal of the guy who called the game 'stupid' i thought that was hilarious.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I thought the show came across as a really third-rate version of The Apprentice. It's not nearly as well produced as a Burnett show.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter

I agree. Cuban already got on my nerves. Hopefully he won't repeat himself in the next few episodes.

Kinda bummed to see the cute redhead go soo quickly. That annoying guy should of gotten the axe.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I like Cuban. Have met him a couple of times and he's pretty down to earth. But he came across like a complete ass on the show... It seems like he actually enjoys messing with the people. Unlike Trump who always keeps it purely about business (at least in public)...

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I knew there would be Apprentice comparisons, but the only things in common are:

-The word "The"
-Wealthy businessman as the star

Trump's show (which is just Survivor in suits) is businesspeople in suits competing for a job. This show is totally different. The rules aren't clear, Cuban is very casual, & it doesn't look like people are eliminated based on anything other than his whims. That makes it interesting to watch, but probably stressful to be on.

I can't believe the people didn't seem to realize they were probably being watched when they were first meeting each other.

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
The Apprentice was a bad show. It was poorly planned, repetitive, and predictable (remember the sexuality wins and the arbitrary team member switches?). As long as Cuban's show continues to be full of surprises, it'll be a step above Burnett's now tiresome formula.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I finally watched the show, and I think it's too haphazard and places too much credence on Cuban's egomanical whims. This is what happens when a big ego and big money get mixed up to produce yet another "reality TV" show.

The should be called "Finding The Biggest Butt-Kisser in America"

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
This show is not about Mark Cuban's whim. It is about the (was it 17?) factors or characteristics that Mark envisions his success has come from.

Last week's show tested three of them.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression
You have to deliver as promised.
You must be cool under pressure.

There is no clear cut rules to this show. ie there is no boardroom or tribal counsel every week. As soon as someone doesn't pass the test set in front of them, they get the boot.

Last week, that one guy called the show stupid, teice in succession.
They had interviews to determine who was not as they said they were. They eliminated a second person based on this characteristic.
There were two more contestants who were not as they said they were. These people then faced off to see who was the most cool under pressure, and the loser was ousted.

I like this show. You never really know what would happen next. I definitely like Cuban. I think he's the only one crazy enough to pull this off. I think the challenges are going to be absolutely insane. I am not treating this as a "serious" reality show like Survivor, or the Apprentice... just a guilty pleasure.

This is exactly what I expected the Benefactor to be, and they are delivering in spades thus far!

Mike Slade

Second Unit
Is this Kevin guy that loves oprah the same guy they called on Crank Yankers that time? If anybody saw it, seems like the same guy to me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
9/27/04

Mark gives $1000 to the remaining 10 contestants and he wants them to show him why they are a star!!!

I still think this show is about kissing Cuban's butt. He may frame the tasks in what you need to be successful, but in the end, you need to please him, and that's kissing his butt in my book.

Latane totally dropped the ball on his rock star website. The rock star wannabe is playing up to Cuban in a big way, and Cuban's buying it. Thankfully Shawn is gawn. Can you imagine her teaching your second grader? *shiver*

The rest are pretty nondescript. Too bad they eliminated the hottie med student last week.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Well, thank God Shawn got eliminated. I couldn't stand her any more. However, why in the hell is that idiot Domininc, the self proclaimed rock star who can't play an instument, still in the game. I can't really tell what he brings to the table other than an urge to make an ass of himself.

Also, am I the only one who though the outfits Famia made, especially the guys outfit, were the worst thing ever?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, isn't that a path to success - knowing what your customer wants and delivering it? Still, I don't think it's about kissing butt - Shawn was clearly the biggest kiss-ass this week and she got the boot. You've got to please Cuban, but I think he's mercurial enough in terms of what pleases him that it's still a fun game.

Is this only a six-week show? I was initially expecting 13 episodes, but Cuban's been thinning the herd pretty quickly.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Its hard to imagine that anyone could think they could learn guitar in one day.

He bought a book and a guitar and thought he would be able to play right away.

I think what it came down to was the band just showing him a few finger movements for a really easy song.

wow

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I'm writing this show off the list. From a musician's view, I can honestly say, anybody who would think they can learn to play guitar in a few hours and then destroys a brand new $1000 guitar has got some major issues and needs professional help. I was most impressed with the guy who went and got the patent for his idea.Just my 2 cents...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think I almost have to root for the software engineer guy just because he's from my town, and at least has some good ideas to make things better. Dominic (rock star wannabe) is just skating by because he amuses Cuban.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
A good thing this show is only six episodes, because it it already wearing thin.
The first two I would of dumped where the asshole that smashed his $1000 guitar and the watermellon chick that did the skydiving. Sure jumping out of a plane is taking a risk, but it's a risk that serves no purpose.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Cuban should just go ahead and give Dominic the money, he is obviously going to win it. Why I don't know, but Cuban seems to think he (Dominic) is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks