What's new

The Bela Lugosi Collection and related dvd problems (1 Viewer)

DieterW

Agent
I have a Philips DVP520 that plays both PAL and NTSC smoothly. So far, it has never given me any problems.

I finished watching the Bela Lugosi collection today and never encountered any problem. The same cannot be said for The Hammer Horror Series. While seven out of eight movies played smoothly, the eight and last one - The Evil of Frankenstein - refused to play one chapter (when Peter Cushing enters the house of the burgomaster and accuses the latter of having stolen his property). I tried a few times and my player always refuses to play that specific chapter. When I try to play it on my PC's DVD-ROM, it plays smoothly.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Marco, most of the previous releases were done on single DVD-9s but the only catch is that not all of the films were released. Overseas the Spanish version of DRACULA wasn't included with the Lugosi version. Some of the sequels haven't been released over there either.

I got through the Lugosi set fine and the first disc of the Hammers. My Abbott and Costello Vol. 4 also seems to be fine, although I haven't heard of anyone having issues with this.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
:angry:

Even with the Monster Legacy Collections (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man, Mummy, Creature, etc. franchise films)?

Are we specifically talking NTSC Asian releases (Korea, Japan)?

That sucks!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yes. I don't think the last batch (The Mummy, Lugosi, Invisible Man, Creature) have had ANY sequels released yet.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Hello,
i was wondering if there have been any recent purchases of the Universal monster/horror collections....that played correctly all the way through.

i have purchased them all (including MA & PA, COSTELLO...) in the past and several have had glitches, etc that i have had to put up with...or not have them in my collection. (please don't chastize me for doing so!!)

i hope that new pressing might be out there...and play a bit better than the orignial releases.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I didn't have any problems w/ the recent Lugosi and Hammer collections.

About 3-4 months ago I finally upgraded to the Uni Monster sets, having kept the original DVD releases. Had to return the Dracula and Mummy sets due to freeze ups. The replacements worked fine.

I think it's a hit and miss thing with these DVD18's.

If you do get one with a problem I'd just keep returning it until you get one that works.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Hello,
In need of someone's educated guess with Universal Monster Legacy Gift Set. According to DAVISDVD, Universal will be re-releasing the GIFT SET containing Dracula, Franenstein, and Wolfman in October.

Do you think that the discs included with this re-release, be less inclined to player/disc "issues" than the first group of releases. i would really like to get the titles without the "burps", sputters, and freezes that the first batch was inclined to have.

Thanks for your in put.
bob

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to point out I bought the Lugosi collection when it first came out and it froze during The Invisible Ray. I returned it and my second copy froze during Black Friday. I returned that one back around April maybe, and my third copy froze again during Black Friday. After this I just let the disc sit on my shelf, figuring I'd get around to e-mailing Universal. Well, after sitting on my shelf for about three or four months I popped it in and, lo and behold, the spot where the disc originally froze up played perfectly. I had a similar problem with disc one of Murder, She Wrote season 2 when I first bought it. I popped that disc in and the problem spot played perfectly. There must be something left on the disc from the manufacturer that just clears up after a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks