The Beiderbecke Affair

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Deke, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Deke

Deke Extra

I notice there have been requests for this programme and 'The Beiderbecke Connection' on the TVprogramsonDVD site. Can someone explain why there are no requests for 'The Beiderbecke Tapes', which is the 2nd episode of the trilogy? Was it never shown in the States or something?

If anyone's interested, by the way, all three series are available as a region 2 boxset.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Gord, who owns the site, would have to get a definitive answer, but from my point of view it looks like it's as simple as nobody has ever requested us to list the show for voting. Any registered member may do so by using the "Submit New Show" button.

It also hurts the case for "Tapes" that the Internet Movie DataBase (IMDB.com) listing for the show lists the other two in a format that they regularly use for mini-series and regular episodic television, and shows "Tapes" in a format that they regularly use for telefilms. At TVShowsOnDVD, we don't list telefilms but we do include mini-series. So if someone requested it, and Gord or I looked at IMDB to see if it was a series, mini-series, or telefilm, then it would look like a telefilm by the way IMDB listed it, and we would reject it as a listing.

Since you point out it's a mini-series, I can (and just did) dig a bit deeper and confirm that it is (and, for starters, IMDB mentions "Runtime: 151 min (3 parts)", and so the "3 parts" thing screams "mini-series" to me!). So I'll get it listed right now, and anyone who wants to vote for it may do so.

Thanks for your help, Deke!

3. Deke

Deke Extra

Wow. I never knew I could be so helpful...

In the IMDB's defence (Maybe...) I've just realised that the 'Tapes' DVD from the Region 2 boxset I mentioned up there ^^^^ is edited into one long episode rather than the mini-series that I saw all those years ago, and also unlike 'Affair' and 'Connection'.

It was originally shown in 3 parts, repeated in two halves, and the DVD suggests that it might also have been shown as an 'Afternoon movie' at some point. Maybe the IMDB just got a little confuzelled at some point!

4. Alan Lee UK

Alan Lee UK Stunt Coordinator

To muddy the waters further, on the Region 2 set, 'Affair' and 'Connection' are presented as individual episodes, while 'Tapes' is presented as one single episode.

5. Deke

Deke Extra

That actually annoyed me a little. It ruined one of the best jokes in the series, when the secret service man was sitting in his office up on the top floor in the middle of the night, and he wearly shoves another tape into the machine a presses 'Play', and we flash back to a long shot of the building with all the night noises, and in the distance you can hear a voice. "When ah'm cleanin' winders...", then the credits roll, giving me time to LMAO.

In the complete version it cuts straight to the start of the next scene with hardly enough time for the joke to register.