The Beginning of the End of VHS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Captain Spaulding, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jay
  2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

It's to be expected. Why keep pumping revenue into a dying format?

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

VHS is dying even faster than I could imagine. Just over a year ago my local Blockbuster had only a small wall of dvds.
    Now half the store is DVD plus they have VHS tapes laying all over the place trying to sell them off cheap.
    VHS at BestBuy's and Circuit City's is now almost non-existent.
    DVD has really been a home run for everyone.
    Us the fans of movies, and the Studios who are selling these movies all over again.
    JohnG[​IMG]

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Well, how many kids do you think have a sizeable VHS collection of kiddee videos? How many people want to let junior near the new DVD player? And old people like old movies, and they have VCRs, and don't want those newfangled thingamabobs [​IMG]

6. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

"Jim McCabe, owner of Video Vault in Alexandria, Va., which specializes in catalog product, said he's been frustrated by studios bringing back out-of-print films from the 1950s and '60s on DVD but not on VHS, which many of his customers still request.

'VHS is slowly going by the wayside, but it's still the dominant format,' said McCabe."

What.A.Shmuck.

If it is slowly going by the wayside, how is it that every Best Buy I went to this year for Christmas shopping had pretty much liquidated it's entire VHS inventory? Somebody drive down to Alexandria and slap this man.

7. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

I was one of those Juniors a while back with a good sized mostly Sci-Fi & Music VHS collection, and to my suprise I've been able to sell my old VHS titles quite easily lately probably thanx to those who haven't adopted that new menacing format yet.
    I just listed 10 more VHS tapes at amazon marketplace just this last week , and two have already sold; "Collosus the Forbin Project"[like new $10], and "Yngwie Malmsteen Live". The latter actually sold for "more" used than what I paid for my new Dvd replacement, of course the VHS was $27 new[mine was mint $18.99] and I bought the Dvd for $9.99 at dvdexpress. If they only knew the money they could save by just making a initial investment of just a little over a bill ?
    Although I hate to say it but I need these VHS die hards fans, just long enough for me to liqudate the rest of my old rollers, Attention ! Attention ! after my VHS tape inventory is deplited I also will no longer be stocking VHS tapes, so get em while they last !
    bodymov'n [​IMG]

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Yep, the vhs area at my local Best Buy is like a ghost town everytime I go there. Walking through that area, you can almost hear the wind blow, and I swear I saw a tumbleweed blow past me once.[​IMG]
    That outdated putrid format can't die fast enough for me, it's sat on the thrown for far too long, time to step down and get lost.

9. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

You all seem to glad that VHS is dying fast, but remember those people that are buying dvd's now want them to look like VHS with out black bars.[​IMG]

10. Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman Stunt Coordinator

11. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

With entry level DVD players available at Walmart for $89, who can't afford it?

12. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

VHS quality is pathetic, that much is certain.

DVD players can be purchased for $89, that much is certain.

Perhaps in three years, DVD recorders will sell for $250.

In any case, DVD is already starting to plague me as the "new VHS" sure it is better than VHS by a nice margin, as well as quick optical access to scenes and special features. DVD is very nice and I am glad for its success, but we really need native 720p/1808i/1080p. Think of all these wonderfull HD diplays with only 480 source material on DVD. 720/1080 HD-DVD would only help sales IMO. I know I am sick of dealing with major video artifacts from scalers, etc... So while I'm glad VHS is dying quickly, I'm more worried how long DVD in its current form will remain stagnant. 720/1080 is not the future, it is now.

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I wouldn't say VHS is going away. VHS catalog titles probably are, but event films continue to sell well in VHS format. It's too bad everyone can't afford to move to DVD, but in a way, it might be good. The closer we can get to 16:9 TVs before every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a DVD player, the better our OAR crusade will go.

In terms of collecting home editions on VHS - If I were in the position of someone who can't afford DVD, I'd wait to own a given film and use that saved money to get DVD. Eventually they will wish they had a DVD edition for any given VHS they purchase. I know I wished I had waited for DVD on all the VHS editions I own. Now Ebay customers can get great prices on my barely-used VHS collection.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

15. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I still own a phenominal number of VHS tapes - about 800, in addition to my 400 DVD's and 75 lasers. The tapes are mostly recorded from lasers, satellite or DVD (using the Apex) and so are mostly in OAR. True, the quality sucks compared to DVD, but these are mostly movies I can tolerate viewing on a smaller t.v. screen, where resolution isn't such an issue. And, more importantly, many of these tapes (A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA, SONG OF THE SOUTH, FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, EMPEROR OF THE NORTH, GOJIRA, and others) do not seem destined for DVD release any time in the foreseeable future, so something is better than nothing.

16. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I remember people saying that the cheapest CD player will sound better than the best turntable. Obviously, that was bullshit as cheap CD players often ruined the music.

However, the cheaptest DVD player I've seen still looks far better than the best VHS and S-VHS decks I've seen.

17. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Well, maybe VHS is loosing more and more to the dvd BUT too say that VHS is a dying format, than your be mistaken or your a hollywood sweetheart.
    There are 10 000 and 10 000 maybe even 100 000 movies on VHS that IS not on dvd (or ld) and many, many of them will not come out on dvd. And I'm a collector and movie lover that think the movie is more important than the format, and for that reason VHS will never die in my home.

18. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

I believe he called the man a schmuck due to the fact that he claimed thet VHS was still the dominate format.

19. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I have no problem with the guy continuing to nurture his VHS customer base. His quote, however, comes off as a guy
    still holding on to VHS a little too tightly for someone who is obviously supposed to be an enthusiast. The industry is changing, he needs to accept it, and educate his customers, as opposed to complain. As for me "assuming everyone can afford an upgrade to DVD", this store sounds to me like a specialty store. Specialty stores usually cater to those who have extra income to spend on whatever product said store carries. So, why can't these people get with the times, hold off on a few VHS purchases, and save up the scratch to buy a cheap DVD player? I myself still purchase VHS copies of films not available on DVD, and applaud anybody who starts a store that helps cater to that, but at the same time, you have to change with the industry, or get left behind. VHS is still dominant around these parts, and the guy would of course lose cash if he didn't try and please his customers, but couldn't he be a *little* more enthusiastic about DVD? And ChrisA, from your posts, you sound like a man with too much money to burn. 480i is the "now" for me, and looks to be that way for a while. So if you really want to act on your beliefs, as opposed to just talk, send me some of your obviously excessive money so I can atleast upgrade to 480p, if not higher, then we can be brothers in this revolution! [​IMG]