'THE BEGINNING', now THAT'S what I call a behind the scenes documentary!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Has anyone who has 'EP 1' watched that great documentary yet? I checked it out this morning and it is a prime example of how a behind the scenes documentary should be done, it REALLY does take you deeply into the making of this film! You even get to see Ewin McGregor choose his lightsaber!
    You also feel your heart sink when Rick McCallum arrives on the destroyed Tunisia set from a severe storm the night before. This documentary makes all those so called 'HBO First Look' specials look pitiful in comparison, I just wish that other movies would do the same thing. My only complaint would have to be that it wasn't long enough! They put this hour long documentary together from 600 hours of footage, I think it should have been at least two hours, but nonetheless, it's great as it is.
    If you havn't done so yet, check it out, great stuff.
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

2. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Mine shipped from DVD Empire on Friday. Hopefully, I get it tomorrow. I'm looking forward to what Lucasfilm has done with the DVD format.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

3. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    This was one of the best documentaries on the making of a film I have seen in ages
    It was just too short. Another hour at least!!!
    Ewan McGregor is really funny in this, especially when you hear his comments when he is filming the duel
    It was also interesting to see the 3 "finallists" for Anakin. While I know some have reservations about Jake Lloyd's performance (I though he was fine BTW) he was easily the best of the three.

4. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Agreed. Probably not technically as good as Criterion's Brazil documentary, but more entertaining to me since I enjoy the subject so much. I may actually watch it more than once! That says a lot for a "Making of" in my book.
    Pieter

5. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Simon, it's funny you should mention Jake Lloyd, I thought he was aweful in the film, HOWEVER after listening to the other two read with Natalie Portman, i'm actually glad they chose him, I mean jeez, if you think he's bad, the other two really sucked!
    ------------------

6. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    quote: if you think he's bad, the other two really sucked![/quote]
    Did you ever think maybe thats why those other two are on there, I'm sure Lucas wouldn't show us his mistake. See now Jake the perfect choice.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
    http://apacure.org/

[Edited last by Norm on October 14, 2001 at 07:04 PM]

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

8. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Given that they make a big deal out of the fact that they interviewed over 3000 boys for the role of Anakin, I wouldn't agree that it make it look like Lucas made the right choice with Jake Lloyd, just that they picked 3 bad finallists. I thought he was fine though, not great, but not awful.

9. StephenC

StephenC Stunt Coordinator

Norm,
    If Lucas did not want to show his "mistake" he wouldn't have included this wonderful documentary.The look on his face after the initial viewing of TPM is priceless.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Don't forget, Jake Lloyd was what, _8_ when he played this role? How many 8yos can turn in a fantastic performance? Don't forget, Haley Osmont was _11_ when he was in 6th Sense, a WORLD of difference between those ages
    Jeff Kleist

11. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Jeff, yes, but Haley Joel Osment was only what 6 or 7 when he did 'Forrest Gump', and even though he wasn't on screen that much in 'FG', he projected a level of maturity acting wise, that was completly lost on the 11 year old Jake Lloyd.
    ------------------

12. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Well, the mistake was making Anakin 8 to begin with! [​IMG]
    ok sorry, this thread got way off topic.
    Can't wait to see the documentary.
    ------------------

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Looks like I'll check this out tonight before bed.
    Brent L
    ------------------
    OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
    plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
    MEETS PAGE and register.

14. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

15. Frank L

Frank L Stunt Coordinator

Getting back on topic, I agree... The Beginning ranks up there among the best documentaries I have seen on DVD, if not the best. I loved the 'fly-on-the-wall' approach. Really felt like I was there. I could watch hours of that stuff.
    Pity that John Shenk was too busy to document Ep II, I just hope they can do as good a job with the new one as he did with the first one.
    Someone mentioned the Brazil documentary before, I think they are completely different, and not the case of one being technically better than the other. The thing about the The Battle for Brazil is that there was a story behind the story which needed to be told, and the only way to do it was to include interviews and whatnot to get a full picture of the whole mess. Now b]The Beginning[/b] on the other hand puts you right into the whole process of making Episode I, from start to finish, with a human, let's-see-if-we-can-do-this approach.
    ------------------
    Frank
    [​IMG]
    DVD Collection | Website

16. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    StephenC, I haven't seen the DVD yet, but I can't wait to see his face now.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

17. Carl C

Carl C Stunt Coordinator

18. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

No matter what your opinion is of this film, I believe you have to give George Lucas and company credit for allowing us to see their first reactions after viewing the assembled movie for the first time. Even though not much is said, they all look like they just saw a ghost. The speechless look of disappointment on their faces after spending so many years and countless millions of dollars had me almost feeling sorry for them. Clearly, this was not quite the movie they were hoping for(although I still find it pretty entertaining).
    This documentary is one of the best and most intimate looks at a filmmaker and the process for making a big budget film that you will ever see. In some ways, I found this to be more engaging than the movie itself. Great stuff!

19. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

About the rough cut review. I’m glad everyone mentioned it. It’s true that one image can say thousand things. After the projection the look on the face of the people was horrible. Nobody said a word or express any enthusiasm. I mean if you see something revolutionary, you would say compliments to the director or other people. And no one dared to say a single word. The only person who talked to a certain degree was Ben Burt. Funny when Lucas said “I’m afraid I’ve gone too far this time”. Well, yes, yes. You have gone too far, unfortunately only this time backwards.
    [Edited last by Sam Davatchi on October 15, 2001 at 03:57 PM]

20. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    quote: “I’m afraid I’ve gone too far this time”. [/quote]
    Lucas said that, I can't wait to see this DVD! I'm glad to hear Lucas admit the error of his ways. Now I have higher hope for Episode II. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

[Edited last by Norm on October 15, 2001 at 04:35 PM]