The Beatles = SACD or DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by francisco-a, Jan 31, 2003.

1. francisco-a

francisco-a Agent

Nowthat we have the Stones 63-70 era on SACD (I´m still don´t know what will happen with 70-2002 if SACD or DVD-A)
    and Pink Floyd´s Dark Side of The Moon is been release on March, and then The Wall, wish You Where Here and on will be release on SACD too, what is happening with The Beatles, does anybody know which format are they going to be release and when, because i think that if SACd has the Stones, Pink Floyd and The Beatles, they will "win the battle of formats" right, if there is one really.

Hope somebody can make me sleep better

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Francisco,

There is much speculation on these titles right now and nothing has been officially announced one way or the other.

I believe their parent company is EMI which has released music in both formats.

[​IMG]

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

There is nothing concrete with regards to The Beatles. At this point, I would settle for remastered CDs. [​IMG]

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Lots of rumors at this point. According to this site: http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/204anthologydvd.html it is coming to SACD in 2004. When and if I see the Anthology DVDs this April, I will have some faith that it could be accurate. I would guess that by CES in Jan. 2004, an announcement would be made if it is coming to either format. Sorry I could not help with the sleep problem.[​IMG]

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

As I recall Beatles CDs were not released until 1987, I believe, 3 or 4 years after the format came out. So I don't see EMI jumping on either bandwagon very soon.

6. francisco-a

francisco-a Agent

I think you´re right Marty, EMI will wait until either one of the format settle first, before releasing them, but I don´´t think they will release Redbook remastered CD´s now that they have two great high fidelity formats to choose.

If you ask me, i would like first of all, a high-res Stereo, and an available 5.1 track, but just for fun, I don´t think that the Beatles are made for surround; I choose a strong, clean, detailed stereo first than a 5.1 just for use the full capacity.

I hope George Martin be the one that made the remaster and remixing with Paul and Ringo and of course with Yoko breathing in his back, instead of a engineer that did´n´t work with them at the original master recording.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I would hope they do the Beatles just like the Stones. Hybrid SACD's.

9. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I know that SACD supports "Stereo" and "Multichannel", but could the "multichannel" selection be mono?

I want the original NOT REMIXED stereo and mono releases of everything that had a dual release. Anything that had only one release I want that one.

I could care less for a multi version of any of these, though I would like to hear the often rumored Quadrophonic "Pepper" that was supposedly prepared in the 70s. The McCartney 70s QUad stuff on DTS sounds wonderful.

11. Michael St. Clair

It is WAY, WAY overdue for EMI/Apple to release the original mono mixes in a digital format. I'll be royally pissed if new releases don't include the mono version of discs like Peppers, Revolver, and The White Album. In fact, I'll probably boycott the release and spend big bucks on some quality vinyl.

12. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Fall 2003 release of a de-Spectorized version of "Let it Be".
    Probably a CD release, but tomorrow never knows.

News Article

-JNS

13. francisco-a

francisco-a Agent

I red the article on Yahoo, great, is great that they release the things they wanted to be heard, but do it on a high-res format, not on CD. It´s not the moment to re-release the album on remastered or remixed CD´s, they will sound good, but either on SACD or DVD-A, they will sound marvelous.

Let me be honest, i have never liked the original mono versions, It´s not that I have heard them all, but I had downloaded some mono tracks from Soulseek of Sgt. and White, and I honestly preffer the one that are in the common CD. So in my opinion, just gimme the stereo on SACd or DVDA.

I agree also that some songs would be great great on 5.1, like "a day in The Life", "Strawberry..." "Im the Walrus", "golden Slumbers" and on, but let´s start from a amazing stereo first, and then in surround. Like on roger Waters´In The Flesh SACD, where you can choose either a High-res Stereo or a multichannel on he same disc, that´s the thing they have to do.

If Sony is paying fro the production it´s not wrong, maybe it´s not that fair for DVD-A, but I like that, that they pay for a excellent production on SACD just for to win the artist from DVD-A, and we have a amazing production on SACD, that´s better for us, the listener.

They HAVE to be Hybrid, there are the Beatles, so they must be available for everybody but stereo and multichannel on a Hybrid CD, don´t think it´s possible right???

Thanks you all for posting here.
    Francisco.

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

16. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I could be wrong here, but I recall reading an article about George Martin retiring a few years back. One of the main reasons was because of his hearing being in decline. If I am remembering correctly(and I might not be), he may not be the guy to be doing these discs.
    I say this with no disrespect for George Martin, as he a legend in his field.

Regards
    KrisM

17. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

The 5.1 remixes on the Yellow Sub DVD sound really good.

18. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey wouldn't it be great if they mixed the multichannel stuff in the "Beatles Stereo" style with different instruments in each speaker! Yeah! That would be hilarious.

20. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Hey, Jonathan: Lucy in the Sky and A Day in the Life are all already out in 5.1 on the Yellow Sub DVD!