What's new

The Beatles on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely fantastic disc, exceeded my imaginings. I've only listened to the DVD-A, and the quality is amazing. I liked the "mash-ups", but the real treats are the whole songs. "A Day in The Life" is breathtaking, as is "Eleanor Rigby". This is the way they should be heard. God bless those old tube consoles and wide analog tape. :)

Same player here, and a stoppage of a few seconds in the same place.

Manus

Second Unit
Absolutelly fabulous ! :) It would be very fitting if The Beatles actually ended up saving MCH music. Very High Fidelity .

~M~

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I pretty much agree with all you guys. On some tracks I thought they could've gone even further, but some were awesome. Some they were smart just pretty much leaving them untouched. Sometimes you just can't mess with perfection.

As for the DVD, it sounds great, and that's just in DTS. I don't have DVD-A, but I'm very happy with this. The cd is very nice as well, and just like you guys said, my cd collection of the albums are now severely lacking (as if they weren't before... ;)

Bring on the remasters...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. I'm in. Think it's a nice disk.

While not a huge Beatles fan...I am a fan. (I do own all the late '80s CDs after waiting patiently through the drawn out release schedule.) Can't be my age and not know every nuance of every song. That's one reason a disc like this is so neat. The person who imagined John Lennon giving his blessing to such a project. It makes sense. These songs are so well-known they almost seem sterile at times.

So...I am such an old fogey that I was clueless about "mash ups" until this thread. After listening to the clips at the links-provided, I was encouraged about how clever some of those mixes were.

While this disc is definitely NOT all about mash-ups, it is neat to hear the different mixes and different takes on that music which, for me, has become all too predictable. It has made it new again. :emoji_thumbsup:

I think what has been so interesting to watch--in this thread and in the review linked earlier--is that there have been no cries of "heresy!" because of the context of the project. Because the songs are being used by Cirque du Soleil as the soundtrack to a show, the remixes and re-working of the songs is "okay". But, imagine if George Martin & Son had just decided to have some fun and just start futzing around in the studio one day. People would be reaching for their pitchforks! :D

Picked up my SE at Target for $15.99! They had lots of copies. They had also either sold out or didn't receive many copies of the CD-only version. The shelves were bare.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't familiar with DVD-A's, so I was confused about getting anything to play until I remembered I had to have the TV on so I could navigate through the menu. I was more familiar with SACD, where I just pop in the disc and it would start to play. Overall, I like the 5.1 from the DVD-V.

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin

If your player has an option for DVD-Audio why would you choose the compressed DTS tracks over the high-resolution DVD-Audio tracks, other than the fact that you have to hook up 6 analog cables to your multi-channel-in on your receiver? Get a nice set of analog cables and try out the DVD-A!

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

I think the 5.1 tracks are actually 5.0.
I am getting bass re-direction when I play the DD and DTS. When I play the PCM tracks I cannot get any bass re-direction from the 6-channel analog input on the receiver. I had to figure out a way of extracting bass by hooking up a crossover amp and feeding the signal into channel six on the analog input on the receiver.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

With very few exceptions, most AVR's do not offer any bass management on the 5.1 analog ins. In those cases, you need to use the BM in your player.

Brian

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
I have to agree... the 5.1 mix is nothing short of outstanding. I was amazed at just how clean these songs sounded. The restoration on the masters was obviously done with extreme care. George Martin never ceases to amaze me. The man can do no wrong in my book.

When the ending of "I Want You" is blended over the end of "Mr. Kite" - - holy s&*t! Amazing!

GregK

Screenwriter
One of the highlights for me was the aggressive use of the center channel. So many mixers for multichannel music cringe at the thought of the center channel, due to some hackers "lifting" vocals out of a mix, or a lackluster presentation for those who do not have matching L/C/R speaker set-up. So instead, many "5.1" music mixes avoid using the center completely, or just doing a mild fill.

This is a shame, given the earliest stereo tests concluded three front channels was the minimum for a reliable stereo presentation for music. All of the stereo films from the 1950's had a minimum of three front channels. I guess we can thank the limitations of the LP for dragging consumers down to two. But back to the future - As an audio test with the LOVE multi-channel mix, disconnect your rear speakers ..or better yet, set your receiver's surround speakers to none so you just hear the front three channels with the surrounds mixed up front. Not that one would normally want to listen to a 5.1 mix this way, but on a properly set up home theater, it is an ideal demo for highlighting how the center channel should be used.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Exactly. As far as I'm concerned, the Beatles wouldn't have been the Beatles without George Martin!

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

Thanks for the information Brian, I have never used the analog outs until now and didn't realise that players had BM.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Hopefully, your player does in fact have BM. When uni-players first came out in 2002, there were 100's of posts here and elsewhere discussing the various players and their BM shortcomings.

As Jack mentioned, Outlaw put on the market an analog BM box (The ICBM) to address the issue. I still have one, and use it in my 2.1 system. Fortunately, my MC rig is based on a Denon 3910 which has very good BM as well as Time Alignment, so no need for an ICBM there.

Brian

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

The pause/lockup is due to a layer change (like the layer change during DVD movies). Some players handle this layer change better than others. Unfortunately , a new disk will not solve this problem. I have a Pioneer DV-563A universal player, but due to a hectic schedule haven't gotten that far into the disk yet. I'll report back when I listen again...hopefully tonight.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Amazing...seriously...I'm not a Beatles fan but its incredible.

I do however question if its DVD-A....I do not get the No Down Mix message on my DVD player like I do on every other single DVD-A I have although the DVD Audio light on my Yamaha C950 is lit.

The only thing about it is it get LOUD. I mean listening to it at a set level of 85db in some area's I hit near 100db especially when the crowd is cheering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks