What's new

The Beatles' HELP! -- why OOP so long? (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

That's been rumored since 1992...no confirmed news as to when it's coming out.

As for Help!, I hate to say it for those who hated Miramax's AHDN set, but they own Help! too.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

According to a report from February 2004: Apple DVD producer Jonathan Clyde, while discussing "Beatles First U.S. Visit," said "Let It Be" is something that's in the works and is not something Apple "is dragging their feet on. It's just that there's a lot of work to do on it." No timeframe is mentioned for sure, but 2005 is rumored. At one point, the DVD was scheduled for Nov. 2003, but was pushed back, in part, because of a number of Beatle-related projects that came out last fall.

There are more reports at:
Link Removed

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

IMO, A Hard Day's Night felt cramped and overmatted and probably was not presented the way Richard Lester intended it. For me, the dead giveaway was the sequence where a couple of female fans are chasing after Ringo on the street. In order to evade them, he ducks into a clothing store to trade in his clothes for another set. On the door, the sign is supposed to read:

WE
BUY
ANYTHING

However, on the Miramax DVD, the word "WE" is cut. Ringo looks up to read this sign and it was obviously intended to be read in full, as it's what motivates Ringo to sell his suit.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Anthony (or anyone else with insight) - another quick question for you,

Is the Goodtimes released double-feature (The Beatles Unauthorized / Fun With The Fab Four) worth owning as well, or is it just rehashed footage from the Anthology set?

Also, would any of the following discs complement the box set, Beatles movies and First US Visit, or are they mainly repackaged content...

* Beatles - From the Beginning to the End

* Beatles - Around the World

* The Beatles Story

* The Beatles - Love Me Do

Thanks so much!!!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Beatles Unauthorized/Fun with the Fab Four is a pretty good release. I wouldn't say it's essential, but it does have one great piece not on Anthology, Pyramus and Thisbe.

I don't own From Beginning to End, but I do have the other three:

Around the World: Video and audio quality leave a lot to be desired, but it contains three concerts. On the Japan one, you might as well just listen to it because the picture is pretty bad. You might want to get it used so you don't get disappointed.

The Beatles Story: This is a pretty good biography, but aside from interviews with non-Beatles, it's basically just Anthology squeezed into an hour.

Love Me Do: This is a pretty good one focusing on the pre-fame years. Worth it for the Allen Klein interviews.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks so much Anthony.

Apart from the "Pyramus" and "thisbe" segments in the Goodtimes release, is the rest of the content direct ports of the Anthology set in terms of footage & interviews, etc?

Also, to confirm... "Around The World" presents totally exclusive concert material?

As far as "The Beatles Story", when you say that it's basically just "Anthology" squeezed into an hour, are you talking in terms of the theme or actual content? I'd obviously assume that it would present a biographical narrative of sorts, similar to "Anthology", but is the actual on-screen video content mirrored directly in "Anthology" or is the content simply repetitious?

Finally, last question - "Love Me Do" is also completely exclusive content?

PS - I really appreciate your help, I'd hate to waste my money on the same repackaged discs so thanks for taking the time to lend a hand!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The Goodtimes releases are mostly newsreel footage; about half of which is in Anthology. But note that some things repeat in both Goodtimes shows.

Correction to Around the World: it's actually two concerts and the Around the Beatles special. None of the Japan concert I mentioned earlier is in Anthology, but some of the other one (Washington DC) is. Around the Beatles is a good special, and I don't think any is in Anthology.

Beatles Story: It doesn't have the same interviews, but the theme is essentially the same. I would pick this up if you could, as it's pretty cheap and if you don't have time to watch Anthology, it's a nice shorter substitute.

Love Me Do: IIRC, no major repeats there.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks so much Anthony,

I bought every single one of them this afternoon, Im on a serious Beatles kick!

:}

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
If AROUND THE WORLD contains the Budokan concert that was filmed for Japanese television, then scenes of it are indeed in the ANTHOLOGY, looking quite good I might add. I have a crappy VHS of the concert and wish that a decent authorized version would be released. It's a pretty short concert. Somewhere around a half-hour. The band sounds pretty good, but I guess after playing all-nighters in Hamburg for so long, they decided that their later concerts would be quickies. It's nice to hear some of their mid-60's stuff live. Paperback Writer and Nowhere Man are especially fun.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to do this, but I have one last question (I promise!) about a Beatles DVD release...

"The Long And Winding Road DVD (5-Disc) Box Set"

Can anyone tell me what this is about and if it's worth owning? It seems to be an unauthorized set of folks associated with the group, conducting interviews and recounting memories about The Beatles. I assume none of this material was used in the Anthology set, right?

Can anyone offer there opinion of this set and whether it's worth the relatively low price it's being offered at?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The thing that I found cool about that set was it focused primarily on the pre-fame years (the first three discs don't go beyond 1962). It has some pretty fascinating interviews. The story is obviously a lot like Anthology, but the unique interviews are worth the price.:emoji_thumbsup:

MarkBourne

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, folks, for all the info. I'll be looking for a Special Edition of this one in '05.

Much appreciated.

--MB

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That boxset?

I tried playing the first disc, and as soon as I saw how bogus this production was, out it went (no music rights; other bands playing Beatles music; John Lennon's "sister" — give me a break). Got a decent price for it at Ameoba Music, and purchased something else with the proceeds.

Avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks