The Beatles' HELP! -- why OOP so long?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarkBourne, Jun 8, 2004.

1. MarkBourne

MarkBourne Stunt Coordinator

Anyone here have the scoop on why MPI (or whoever now owns it) hasn't had an edition of HELP! on the stands for years? Any news about a reissue? Spending $80+ for one on eBay or at Amazon is not my first choice.

Thanks.

--MB

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Aren't there legit copies on Ebay in the $35-40 range?

In any case, its OOP status is probably just a stunt to drive up demand (and piss off late adopters).

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's owned by Apple now, so a re-release ought to be better.

MPI's DVD is good, but I'm sure that a new HD-sourced, 16x9 1.66:1 transfer with the original mono and perhaps a 5.1 mix would be fine. I'd like to see Apple also go through the trouble to get Richard Lester to do a commentary and also include a watchable print of The Running Jumping Standing Still Film.

Also, I'm suspecting that all of the optical shots in the film could use some digital restoration. Most of the o-neg footage in the restoration looks incredible, but whenever an optical shows up, it looks like crap.

4. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I made the mistake of selling my old MPI copy of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, only to be furious when Miramax screwed up the new one. Having learned a valuable lesson I'm not parting with my MPI copy of HELP! until I'm sure the "new" one is decent. And maybe not even then.

5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    A while back, on his radio show Little Steven's Underground Garage (which is a great show), Little Steven said he thought Help would probably not be released again to DVD til the film's 40th anniversary (which is 2005). Now, putting the comment in context, he clearly had no info and was just speculating. But I trust his speculation.

However, given that it looks like we may get Let It Be in 2005, I kind of doubt Apple will reissue Help as well.

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I just want a decent dvd of MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR. I know that most of it is a mess, but the music segments make it worthwhile.

I haven't seen it, but from what I've read, the OOP dvd is awful.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

You're absolutely right. The MPI DVD looks horrible. There's a disclaimer that it was from the 35mm negative, but it certainly doesn't look like it.

The clips from the film in The Beatles Anthology look a LOT better, so Apple must have better source material.

8. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman Second Unit

I thought Magical Mystery Tour was shot on 16mm originally, then blown up later for theaters to 35mm stock?
    I recall reading the film was basically shot to air in the U.K. only on BBCTV as a special the day after Christmas (Boxing Day).

9. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Indeed it was - I thought it was brilliant, but what did I know (I was 11 years old at the time). And yes, for a time I was the Egg Man (goog-goog a choob)

---
    So many films, so little time...

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The old MPI MMT disc both looks and sounds wretched (other than the songs, which leads me to suspect that those were not taken off the original soundtrack, but laid in from the album by MPI). It's easily, by far, the most hideous disc in my collection. It was unwatchable on my old 27" television, so I've been quite frightened of trying it in my current much-improved setup.

11. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

It was a very small film in 16mm, and I think that's part of its (gulp) "charm".

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

And it's the only place I have ever seen one of my favorite Bands...The Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band!
    They are the band playing for the (ahem) Strippers

13. PaulBigelow

PaulBigelow Stunt Coordinator

Thank goodness I have Help on Criterion Laser Disc (CAV).

14. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT: Most Beatles fans know who Neil Innes is, but Vivian Stanshall goes mostly unrecognized. [​IMG]

15. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Probably most Mike Oldfield fans would also know who Viv Stanshall is. Which reminds me; we need a DVD of Sir Henry at Rawlinson End [​IMG]

---
    So many films, so little time...

16. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Amen. Sometimes lessens like this are painful. I'm keeping my MPI copy too.

17. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    On Sunday night's episode of Little Steven's Underground Garage (the best radio show on the air IMO -- littlestevensundergroundgarage.com), he said that, according to Martin Lewis (sp?), resident Beatles expert and one of the forces involed in the Hard Day's Night DVD, Help! will be coming back to DVD in 2005. Makes sense, since that is the 40th anniversary.

18. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Great news Sam!

Semi-OT but I have a question regarding The Beatles on DVD (I did a forum search but was unable to find anything relative)...

Anyways, I went downtown to purchase the Anthology box-set today which was unfortunately out of stock.

I was just wondering however, if any of the content in that set is repeated or farmiliar to any of the other single-disc documentary or conert footage releases - particularly the newly revisited "First U.S. Visit" disc?

Also, what's the deal with "Let It Be"? I found some old threads from 2002 announcing that this was scheduled to be released but alas... 2 years later?

19. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I'd like to know who's doing the HELP! disc, and whether or not it will be incorrectly overmatted as A HARD DAY'S NIGHT was from Miramax.

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Apple will probably do it, through Capitol, like the Anthology set and "First U.S. Tour."

A Hard Day's Night is 1.66:1 on Miramax's DVD and probably the right aspect ratio. It has more horizontal information than the 1.33:1 MPI disc. Also, part of the end credits are hard-matted to 1.85:1, so who knows?

Help! is probably the same. I've checked several scenes from the film and the headroom seems to be 1.66:1-safe, with the matting being off-center.