What's new

The Beatles' Help: 2007 2-Disc Re-Issue (Oct. 30) (1 Viewer)

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
The new "McCartney" 3 DVD collection from Rhino also has DTS as the only 5.1 choice- no Dolby Digital

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I don't understand- are you saying the discs are improperly labeled or you got 2 of the same disc?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I'm waiting for my deluxe set to be delivered, but I looked at the package for the regular edition at Target today, and my opinion is that package feels shoddy. I was surprised how light it was when I picked it up, and I don't understand why it even needs a "slipcase" type box (the inner part didn't even line up flush with the outer part). The cardboard seemed too thin, and the minimalist outer package (text only on the back) seemed odd. I probably own dumber DVD packaging somewhere in my home, but I guess my enthusiasm for all things Beatles made me a bit hyper sensitive to this.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
:frowning: :frowning: Got my copy of the Deluxe Edition yesterday at Best Buy and there was a major screwup by Apple/EMI! I tried to play the platter labelled DISC 2 and it turned out to be a mislabelled pressing of DISC 1!:angry: I'm gonna have to return to BB and find out if the whole pressing run turned out this way!!!:eek:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I gave this only the most cursory of looks yesterday and I have to say I am pleased with the content of the discs. The film looks and sounds great, and the extras are fun. I like the (standard) packaging a heck of a lot more than the old MPI disc.

howardWB

Grip
I'd run out and get the "Deluxe" edition box set of HELP-- being that it is on sale this week, makes it easier to swallow the still hefty price. Otherwise it retails for about $149.99 here in the U.S. I really have to say it's a 5 Star collection! Between all the archival material on disc #2 (such as as radio spots, trailers, "missing scene", documentaries-- also available on the regular 2 disc collection)--but for movie collectors like me you also get in the "Deluxe version" a 60 page hardcover book, copy of director Lester's orginal script with handwritten notes, reproduction lobby cards and movie poster--this has to be one of the top ten releases of 2007 along with the reissue and remastering of THE JAZZ SINGER. It's very worth the expense and a treasure now in my Beatles collection! If you can't get it now, save up for it like I did, or ask for it for the holidays. It ranks up there with any Criterion or George Feltensten (WB) classic movie box set!

The damn movie LOOKS great! I don't give a shit the framing issue isn't perfect. On the Beatles message boards they are nit picking that it's really hot the original framing ratio. Richard Lester isn't complaining and he was involved in this project! Does anyone sit there watching their DVD on their tv with a release like this, and actually fret over some slight image off the sides or top? If you didn't have another version of the film playing side by side in the right ratio you wouldn't really notice! I'm not talking full-screen of a widescreen or pan-and-scan issues which are different.The only difference between this version and the oop MPI DVD is this version has slightly more on the edges, and takes off slightly on the top. But the damn film does look great. The colors are more natural and warm, image clear and sound is phenominal. What this "deluxe version" gives you is something that you'd never ever expect Apple to give you in a million years. I thank Apple this time and hope they continue their reissues on DVD (that look this damn good) and on CD (that should sound that damn good come next year!)

If this is an indication of how Apple will now be treating the Beatles legacy, I have sincerely high hopes for the eventual reissue/remaster CD program that should start sometime in 2008.

Regards,
Howard
aka "Beatle Bob"
:)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Help! was originally shown at 1.75:1 (same as A Hard Day's Night). The DVD opens it up to 1.66:1, which is how European theaters generally would have projected it in 1965. A major film like Help! would not be made for 4x3.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I really hate it when people start coming out of the woodwork and arguing for the "fullscreen" versions because they show more top and bottom. If this isn't the intention of the artist, there's no point arguing over it. Seeing more can sometimes break the "illusion" (A Fish Called Wanda) and may confuse the viewer, leading him to believe he's been "ripped off."* If Richard Lester has signed off on it, that's good enough for me.

*Exercising my right to use the English language in its intended form, political correctness be damned!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I give a big "Thumbs Up" overall to the new transfer being highly superior to the old MPI disc, so it's worth upgrading in my opinion. Even though I know every frame of this film like the back of my hand, I was able to spot a few occasional things I'd never really noticed before, mainly because the quality was so much better.

The sound has been enhanced too, and I have to wonder if some things were "sweetened". One example is when Ringo is being examined by the mad scientist in the lab and the molecules are being expanded so the ring will slip off... when Ringo's fly opens and his pants drop, I heard a "zipper" sound which I don't think was there before. If it was, it was never this clear. Also, when the Beatles are in the jeweler's shop and the ring is being sawn by "the wheel," when the wheel breaks apart into pieces, now it doesn't have the LOUDER metallic sound of the machine breaking down and it seems to be lessened or softened, compared to the old version... at least to my ears. Another one -- when the laser is pointed down the hallway of the palace, and the Beatles are put into slow motion and then they ultimately get away, on the old verison George originally scolded the machine where it sounds like he was saying: "Bad machine! Bad ---" (as though a second repeat loop of the first word was left and then cut short)... on the new DVD, George just says: "Bad machine!" , and the second hiccup is cut off. These are all little details, but I tend to pick up on these sorts of things .

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
Yes........and Yes!! .......I got 2 of disc 1 ( the film only ) --disc 1 is the film and disc 2 is the special features. MY disc 2 ( which is labeled disc 2 ) is actually disc 1!!!.......and another poster here also had the same thing happen to him too. I took it back to Best Buy.......got another one, and when I got it home and played it.......the same thing!!!!........another mislabeled disc 2!......i'm wondering if there is going to be a re-call on these.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

I bought my copy at Best Buy, and when I read these two posts, opened my set and checked it. Luckily, no problem - the correct disks were included in my set, correctly labeled.

So in fact, this isn't a universal problem, even with Best Buy copies. It does seem your local store may have gotten a bad batch, so you will probably need to keep returning your set until you get a good copy.

stompers

Auditioning
Real Name
Carles Martínez i Mayorga
I purchased a deluxe set of Help DVD 2 days ago.
The disc 1 was scratched up due to being "loose" in the book.
Yesterday I went to record shop for changing.
And when I was at home and I opened it, the surprise was that there
were no discs and no poster.
Where is the quality control made for EMI in its products?
Is that situation permissible for that product at that price (70,90 €)
and for that company?
Sincerely I think it is not.
Well, next monday, next change, and probably next deception?
Who knows?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I also got the correct discs (purchased at Future Shop in Canada) but I really wish the 20 min. MPI released footage of the Beatles "making of Help!" would've been included and I'm not sure why they didn't opt to do so. The extras are quite light and not very encompassing I find. It's really just two featurettes... I didn't watch the "restoration" thing yet because frankly I'm not so interested.

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator
Disc 1 in my copy of the new version of "Help" is defective, and I will be returning the set to Best Buy for exchange. There are no visible flaws, but the disk freezes sporadically throughout...something I have frankly never seen happen with any other DVD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So I picked up the 2-disc version and am very pleased. I don't have DTS, but the PCM track decodes very nicely with Pro Logic and is absolutely gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks