What's new

The Beatles' Help: 2007 2-Disc Re-Issue (Oct. 30) (1 Viewer)

Ken Ranke

Agent
Actually, the "deluxe or nothing" would be the excuse I need to splurge. :D[/quote]

If you are a Barnes and Noble member and have a MasterCard there is a 50 % coupon code P7N6J9K.

Takes alot of the sting out of the deluxe price.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I watched this latest release on a Toshiba 42" 1080 display - through a Sony NS75H player and there were narrow vertical borders on either side of the image so perhaps it is 1:66? As far as the actual image is concerned the colors are much richer with better detail and I thought the 5.1 mix was pretty good overall. I do have the original MPI dvd which I will keep - just for the sound track.I will have to watch the extras soon.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder that Circuit City has the "standard" edition on sale for $15.99 and Best Buy has it for $17.99. I would guess that BB will be adjusting its price to match CC.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I don't know, but I think I've decided against the deluxe version- it's just too overpriced for what you get. Usually when it's a movie/group that I really love, I'll get the upgraded version of the dvd/cd, but this just smacks of gouging to me.

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
I just got this and went to play disc 2 ( and it's labeled disc 2 ) it's just disc 1!!!!!!!!..............and I got the deluxe version with all extras!! (posters, books etc.)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Here's a few comparisons between the 4x3 MPI DVD (1997) and the new 16x9 Apple/EMI/Capitol DVD (2007):

The end credits used to be plagued with dirt and scratches, but it's now 100% pristine.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I rented both discs from Netflix. In the sleeve that was supposed to be disc 1, it had disc 2. I played it, and it was in fact disc 2. The two discs I received looked exactly the same. I watched the first one, and mailed them both back this morning. It didn't occur to me that maybe the other "disc 2" might've actually had the movie on it! :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Deluxe Edition = idiotic packaging (as is usually the case).

I just picked it up and I'm very glad I bought it at a local retailer instead of ordering online (though I paid full price which came to around CAN $125 w/ tax)!

The disc hubs are nothing more than two cheap round pieces of foam that are glued (ineffectively) onto the front of the book.

Naturally both discs (and foam hubs) were floating inside the package when I opened it up, but luckily were still in fine shape. I simply pressed the foam hubs back into place firmly and placed the discs onto them. Though they don't hold very securely and are an absolutely stupid and cheap way to package. Especially for such a damn expensive box set!

Otherwise everything else looks wonderful!

My only other minor complain would be that outer wrapping with the sticker on it. It would've been nice if it were simply a slip that was enclosed on both sides so that you don't have to unwrap/unstick each time you want to open up the package... Of course many people will just toss that out but I think it looks real nice (and let's be honest... that's why most people are paying the exorbitant ammount for this set) and is a convenient way to hold everything in place within the box.

But without having actually watched anything yet, I'm very happy with what I've got and feel like the price is justified based on what was included. I'm sure the book and script add an extra $40/45 along with the deluxe packaging and box itself plus the lobby cards and poster... it's quite a beautiful package.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have the regular 2-disc set and I am not thrilled about the packaging in it, either. I have never liked the cases where the discs are stacked on top of each other.

I am also wondering why this even needed to be a 2-disc set. The first disc contains the movie that is 90 + minutes, and the second disc contents are less than 60 minutes.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone else think that it's weird that the only 5.1 option is DTS? There is no Dolby Digital. I'm not complaining...the DTS mix is incredibly dynamic, but I think this is one of the only DVDs I have with DTS being the only 5.1 option.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
BIG thanks for that!

The original DVD will retain its value (I thought it would go down after this release. Butt, just like the original "AHDN"; it has something 'extra' to offer Beatle fans).
How's the sound compare?

I LUV that this disc is LPCM!!!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Saw that, B4 coming here today (thx tho).
That review (1st I could find, as well) says this disc maintains the original aspect ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks