What's new

The Beatles' Help: 2007 2-Disc Re-Issue (Oct. 30) (2 Viewers)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

In that case, a music-only track would be nice. Maybe they could include Ken Thorne's score on the eventural Help! remastered CD. The Vol. 2 Capitol Albums set has the 1965 soundtrack which includes some of the music (A+ stereo quality, too). I love how Thorne basically arranged Beatles tunes to orchestral form (entirely From Me to You, A Hard Day's Night, You Can't Do That, and She's a Woman).

You can see the raw full opening credits "background" here without text or the cutaways:

Although, they could use it to remove all the dirt and scratches, but they'd also have to superimpose the darts since the credits seem to be actually shot from a projection on a screen.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

And of course, the song there is the non-original "album" version, where John sings "BUT now these days are gone" instead of the 45's "AND now". This is just not the way the film was originally presented in 1965.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

Sorry Patrick, the Flash trailer on The Beatles site comes in at around 1.85-1.90:1 for some strange reason. That's a best guess with my handy dandy tape measurer.

Can somebody please present this properly for a change?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
And watch that trailer carefully. When you see the guys' names come in from the left or right side of the image, you can tell that the movie is pillarboxed. You can see the names over the black.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Does any etailer have this available for preorder, yet? I am anxiously awaiting this.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It does look like they've lavished a lot of love to this release! Looks great. I do wonder, even though I've not invested yet, would this and AHDN be re-issued on hi-def disc.

OT: Not to pick on Patrick, but why would you think Let It Be needs a re-cut? That's the way it was cut together.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

The Beatles were apparently not happy with the released version, as the first cut ran about 3 1/2 hours (which they supervised with the director). Plenty of films were cut together in a certain way for release, but it doesn't mean it was the right way.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Amazon has it. $21 for the regular edition, $95 for the deluxe (yikes!):eek:

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The $95 for the deluxe edition is based on a list price of $135 for this. The discounts works out to be 30%. I will definitely be only purchasing the standard edition.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
To be fair, the accompanying photo book looks like it'd cost a good $30-40 on it's own:

Plus you have the "typical" extras that would make up a package like this, which usually tack an extra $25 onto the price tag: poster, lobby cards and in this case... a reproduction of of the original annotated script.

~ $90 US seems reasonable, if just for the inclusion of the hardcover book.

Btw, if that white thing in the photo with the black lettering is the poster... it kinda sucks. :frowning:

Also, can anyone confirm if the 30min. "making-of" included here will be the same as the MPI (or was it MVD) 22min. release of "behind the scenes" 8mm film footage with the Beatles?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I don't know, that still seems a bit steep to me, even with the book and script.

The poster looks like it's still folded in the photo, so the black lettering is probably just the credits at the top or bottom of it.
(EDIT- I see Derek posted just before I did. :) )

I was going to sell my MPI VHS copy, but I think I'll make sure the same "8 minutes of rare bonus footage" is carried over onto the DVD before I get rid of it.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Too bad they didn't go with the "A" or "B" style, or even the German masterprints that are graphically more interesting.

A 60 page full colour hardcover book filled with production photographs is quite impressive imo and easily justifies a $30-40 price tag. I'm sure you'd see it in bookstores for at least that price, nevermind it's exclusivity. A normal two-disc "limited edition" gift set in WHV fashion with lobby cards and such generally run around the $30 US mark. Tack on the extra cost of the book and the reproduction script and your pretty close to what I'd consider a reasonable cost, give or take $10. I'm not saying it's a fantastic deal or anything, but it's not an outlandish price tag either considering all that's been divulged in the press release. Remember how much the E.T. gift set sold for upon release?

As for the "making-of" -- it's nice to have a new docu. with Lester involved and everything, but if I've learned anything from past Beatles movie releases (AHDN) it's that less "extras" and more poignant features involving the foursome themselves, without the insight of every member of the production crew, gaffers, caterers, hair stylists, etc. would be much better served! The second disc of the AHDN set was almost utterly useless to me. A lot of dickering about how nice it was to interact with the boys on the set from people nobody cares about.

It's a shame that the previously issued "making-of" won't be included and I'm not quite sure why as that's as great a compliment to the film as can be offered. If the four 8mm reels of the Beatles behind-the-scenes are out there, than why not include them on this set?? It would seem like an easy and obvious way to tack on useful accompaniment to the film itself. I hope I won't have to track down the old out-of-print MPI copy of that release now. I was sure it'd be cleaned up and included with this film's reissue eventually.... :/

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Finding out all sorts of tidbits over at the Steve Hoffman forums...

Evidently after Paul Rutan restored 'Help!,' a clean interpositive was found, and color seps were made for protection before Walter Shenson died. They struck a new print hard-matted for 1.66 that screened at Telluride recently (in 5.1)!

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I just went to check this again on Amazon, and the standard $20 edition now is listed as "no longer available". So......it's the deluxe $95 edition or nothing, now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks