What's new

Pre-Order The Beatles: Get Back (Blu-ray) (DVD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Best as I can tell, this is something on the Apple/Beatles side of the ledger and not Disney related.

I've heard about 5 different possible errors, several which have all but been dismissed by the audioholics who have listened to the discs that actually were shipped. Nothing Video related has been mentioned as a possible error.

The 3 most consistent possibilities:
They used a wrong mix on some of the newly remastered songs -- this would at least explain why the super-audio folks might not be able to find an actual audio flaw
They folded down the stereo tracks from the surround mixes
A distant third: there is some content/error in the bonus material that Apple didn't want on the disc (a la the Cubby Broccoli commentary on the original James Bond Criterion LD)

DMC CSR can't tell you anything since nobody in that department has any information. I'm not sure anyone at Disney really knows since they're usually pretty open discussing disc pressing errors (that they consider errors -- not stuff that's intentional like Make Mine Music, etc). In the future if you want the better CSRs, use the chat feature -- the more senior US staff seem to handle that department. FWIW I've never gotten an overseas CSR when I've called, but I have gotten plenty of what seem to be new hires and trainees -- some accents, some not, but often they sound like a supervisor if nearby and they stop every couple questions to put me on hold and 'Check with my boss ......."

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
A distant third: there is some content/error in the bonus material that Apple didn't want on the disc (a la the Cubby Broccoli commentary on the original James Bond Criterion LD)
I can confirm that there are NO special features whatsoever on this set (I still have my review copy sitting on my desk).

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
just got this off of the page for all VIP members to reserve their copy

The Beatles: Get Back (2021) Box Set Blu-ray / DVD $11.58​

Blu-ray
$14.78
Member Offer $14.78
Save $22.17
Regular Price $36.95
I alread reserved mine in early Feb....so, is this an update on delivery or release date or..?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It's just a generic pre-order page -- release date still TBA
Happy Hour Reaction GIF

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Just an FYI, but Blu-ray .com posted a review from one of their better reviewers, and its not kind. Even allowing for source limitations, the video rating is lousy, and even the usually reliable audio rating isn’t where one would hope. The steaming quality, especially for video, was rather good, all things considered, so I’m going to wait for a few more reviews before deciding to purchase. Sounds like it could be a stinker.

Blu-ray .com doesn’t offer the ability to post questions and comments on their reviews, so some specifics are still a bit murky.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can offer a general comment on this set, which I sampled several months go, and was then asked to hold review as there was the track problem.

This is not, imho, a set that should be reviewed heavily on image quality. The taking mechanisms and formats, espectially for those shot 40-50 years ago on video or 16, are all over the place, and have been processed to create a more pleasing, albeit homogenized viewing environment.

I tend to equate docs of this type on content, which is extremely important for fans of the group, and not for precise reproduction.

Having just celebrated the 4th here in the Colonies, I’m brought back to viewings decades ago of our brave Continental troops in action. The imagery is imprecise, unstable, but is there - which is the best we can expect, as recorded to 64 inch wax cylinders.

Same situation with Get Back. We’re going there for content, not cinematograhy.

And as a document, it’s quite incredible.

Let’s not do an image comparison with Midsommar.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was also thinking it seems inappropriate to expect UHD quality images from the Let It Be footage. I’ve seen Let It Be projected when I was in college many years ago. I am not a Disney subscriber, so I have not seen Get Back yet, from the trailers I have seen, the footage looks pretty amazing! Can’t wait for the release of the blu ray.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Like Robert said - you can't judge "documentary" style material, especially from that period using the processes employed, with modern, cutting edge, PQ capabilities. I saw "Let it Be" in the theaters when it was in its original distribution and thought it was passable - but PQ wasn't what we went to see (and, frankly, wasn't much of a consideration for *anything* we went to see in the theater in those days) - we went to see a story about The Beatles creating an album that many felt was the reason they broke up.

I've pre-ordered a copy and can't wait for it to arrive!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would sincerely think that this can't look any worse than it did when broadcast on Disney+ and I was quite happy with the quality of the transfer.

I really surprised myself with how much I enjoyed watching this entire documentary (as I never liked the original LET IT BE documentary), but if I bought this set it would just sit on the shelf. It's just too long for me to ever watch again.

Looking forward to reading what all of you think of the transfer when you get these discs in your hands.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I can offer a general comment on this set, which I sampled several months go, and was then asked to hold review as there was the track problem.

This is not, imho, a set that should be reviewed heavily on image quality. The taking mechanisms and formats, espectially for those shot 40-50 years ago on video or 16, are all over the place, and have been processed to create a more pleasing, albeit homogenized viewing environment.

I tend to equate docs of this type on content, which is extremely important for fans of the group, and not for precise reproduction.

Having just celebrated the 4th here in the Colonies, I’m brought back to viewings decades ago of our brave Continental troops in action. The imagery is imprecise, unstable, but is there - which is the best we can expect, as recorded to 64 inch wax cylinders.

Same situation with Get Back. We’re going there for content, not cinematograhy.

And as a document, it’s quite incredible.

Let’s not do an image comparison with Midsommar.

I hear your point and will enjoy "GB" for the content. Been a massive Fabs fan since I was 12 in the late 70s - back then I would've chopped off a limb to see something like this.

But it's still a shame that PJ felt the need to "modernize" the footage. It's not modern footage. It shouldn't be cropped and "denoised" and recolored.

Just make it look as good as possible while it still looks like the source. That's not too much to ask.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I understand everyone’s point about material from the era, and I would never expect anything approaching a modern production. But I did enjoy the quality and the content of the Disney stream. If that’s maintained I’ll be pleased, but trying to cast that against some of the technical reviews I’ve read is rather off-putting. Reviewers seem to be casting the quality in a too absolutist light, and these have been reviewers accustomed to addressing a home theater audience, not clueless consumers. That has been the cause of my concern.

But having watched the stream and enjoyed it, I suppose I’ll just hush and buy the set when the price is right.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can’t believe I finally have this blu ray in my posession now. It was feeling like the Let It Be film never getting a release beyond those on laserdisc. It’s real, and not vaperware.

I look forward to finally seeing this documentary! :)
B20131DE-E310-49B6-91F5-2B53DCF7DE9D.jpeg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Supposedly my copy is arriving today... we'll see... UPS has been kind of flaky here lately.
I bought 2 copies one for me and one for my sister, a massive Beatles fan...she was shocked!! I love when I can do that, LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks