1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Beach on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JayB, Jun 7, 2002.

1. JayB

JayB Extra

I know this is an older DVD release...but I watched "The Beach" last night on my ISF calibrated system and was impressed with the video quality. I searched our forum and couldn't find too much on this release, so I have a couple questions:

1. What are some of the other forum members opinion of this DVD?

2. Is it just me, or are FOX DVDs from that era ultra-dark, yielding the 'most' film like effect? I am speaking specifically about "The Beach" and "Fight Club" I will admit that I kick the brightness up a notch or two when I watched these films because I felt the blacks were just tooooo black. I felt as if too much was lost in the shadows. Or are these two films just artistically made this way, and its a coincedence they are both on FOX from a similar time?

Thanks.

--Jay

2. Jason Sweet

Jason Sweet Stunt Coordinator

I too was very impressed with the image on this disc. I rented a copy when I heard so many negative reviews of the movie, but I bought it right after. I liked the movie quite a bit. I don't remember it being especially dark, I do remember being impressed by the bright and colorful outdoor scenes. However I haven't watched it since I bought it, around a week or so after it was released.

3. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I own this disc, too, and I've only watched it a few times. I do remember that the quality was top-notch, for both video and audio.

I liked the movie, too.

4. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

One if not the favorite DVD of my girlfriend. I like it too, because of the great quality. I actually thought that the colors were pretty bright and not lost in darkness/shadows as you were saying. I watch this movie quite a lot because it has a little of everything in it and I just want to be on that beach (before everything goes wrong that is).

Just as a side note to those that liked the film, go read the book. It of course does a little more than the movie and is a lot different but they both hold their own.

-Eric

5. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

I liked it too. The film's setting is what made the video so impressive. And the score is great. I went out and bought the soundtrack and the score. Highly recommended.

6. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

Just put this on my wishlist. This movie has it's moments. However, overall it tried to cover too much territory for it's own good. I love this movie for the soundtrack, cinematography, Leo, and that hot french girl. Yeah, I'm a di Caprio fan. Sue me. [​IMG]

7. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

8. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Go for the book.