The BCS needs to be abolished

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

...because Nebraska can still play in the national championship game.

From ESPN:

"Could a team really be worthy of playing for the national championship without even winning its own division of its conference? Could a team that allowed 62 points and lost by 26 in its final game really be considered one of the two best teams in the country? In the BCS it could, and all it will take is an LSU victory over Tennessee this Saturday to make it a reality."

This is getting ridiculous!

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The fact that Miami is going to the Rose Bowl is reason enough to get rid of the BCS!

3. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

4. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Imagine how entertaining an 8 team playoff would be this year. Hell, it would be difficult to chose the 8, but at least it would give a more accurate representation. If Nebraska gets into the Rose Bowl I will have a fit... not that anyone would care... but it will make ME feel better [​IMG]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Here's the Top 8 according to the polls:
    1. Miami (FL) (11-0)
    2. Tennessee (10-1)
    3. Oregon (10-1)
    4. Colorado (9-2)
    4. Nebraska (11-1)
    6. Florida (9-2)
    7. Maryland (10-1)
    8. Illinois (10-1)
    I wouldn't have a problem with that playoff (note BYU is STILL not in there...). [​IMG]

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

An eight team playoff is the best solution, but the Bowls will continue to resist because of the fear of losing all that money. The NCAA argues that it would make the season too long. However, they didn't mind when a game was added to team's schedules -- first for preseason games (e.g. The Kickoff Classic) and then for conference championship games. Get rid of the preseason games, use the bowls for the playoffs and you would only add one more game to two school's season, and no more games to anyone elses.
    An eight team playoff could consist of the conference champs from the six BCS conferences plus two at large berths.
    If Nebraska somehow gets to Pasadena I may boycot the game. I doubt that ABC will care, though. [​IMG]

7. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

BYU has done well this year. That said, I think the majority of their wins were against "weaker" teams. I'd like to see them shake people's doubts by facing some of the stronger teams from the other conferences....

Michael.

8. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Man, are you Michigan people still bitter about the '97 National Title, or what? [​IMG]
    But, yes, I agree with the subject of this thread. If NU making the Rose Bowl hastens that, I'll take it. [​IMG]

9. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

While the BCS may be unfair to some I think it's a pretty good deciding factor for the bowl games.

Jeff

10. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    If you are gonna have a playoff, you need to have every Division 1-A conference champ involved. There are 11 conferences. So you'd have to have a 16-team playoff with 5 at-large spots and 11 conference champions.

11. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Joel - it has nothing to do with '97!!! It has everything to do with Nebraska getting demolished by Colorado on National TV! That was embarassing and should clear up any question of the Cornies going to the Rose Bowl.
    1997 was proof positive that something needed to be done. This year is proof positive that the "something" is an 8 team playoff...
    Good point Joe. A 16 team playoff beginning the second week of December and ending the first week of January would work as well. Let the championship game rotate between the current BCS bowls. The second and third round games can be handled by the other BCS bowls as well as the current Jan 1 bowl games. The first round games could be played at the home field of the eight teams with the best records. Just MHO of course [​IMG]

12. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

13. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Ron. I don't know why everyone outside of Nebraska thinks that NU making it to the Rose Bowl is a load of crap. I understand that they got beat. It was still only one game. If Colorado had not lost 2 games they would be in, so too bad. Florida, Texas, Ok, and everybody else had a shot but they still lost. I wish we would have ran the table but it did not happen. I think we deserve it, just like every other fan for any other team would think that they deserve it, but only if LSU beats Tenn. Anyway, I am also in favor of a playoff system but am not optimistic that we will have one soon.

14. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

If memory serves the BCS was created because of all the disagreements over who was the real #1 (Coaches Poll or Writer's Poll).

If anything, it is still too controversial. They should just come up with a mathematical formula to pick the top 25. The top 2 teams (who are picked mathematically by statistical analysis) can play a single game to declare who's best, for those that really care.

All I know is the Huskies didn't go to the Rose Bowl, so it's back to counting down the days until the Mariners start Spring Training for me.

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I think only ONE of the polls is absolutely tied to the result of the Rose Bowl (or the BCS bowl of the year). So we can still have a split championship. I think it's the AP that's tied, and the coaches can still name whoever they want. That was a threat to happen last year if FSU squeaked by Oklahoma--they were saying the coaches might put Miami up there if they killed their bowl opponent and the FSU/OK game was close. Of course, 10-1 Washington was saying "what about us?" since they handed Miami their only loss last year.
    I wonder if that might happen again. Let's say TN loses, Neb gets in to the Rose Bowl and narrowly beats Miami in a sloppy game, and someone like Oregon absolutely kills their Bowl opponent. Or CU (a 2-loss champion???). It's a mess waiting to happen...
    Of course the Bowls are reluctant to enter a playoff system because of the revenue they generate. There's got to be a way to incorporate them into a playoff picture. The one who comes up with that method will be the saviour of college football fans' sanity. [​IMG]

16. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

17. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Using bowls (ie neutral sites) for rounds other than the championship game wouldn't work from a ticket sales perspective.

So basically, it would end up being like the NFL playoffs, but with 16 teams. Logistics of a playoff would be a nightmare, whether you use neutral site or college stadiums for the games.

18. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Yes, BCS should be abolished in favor of a play-off. But since we have to be realstic here, let's try to fix the problem at hand. For one thing, something has to be done about the computer rankings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but why is it that only one person is in control of a computer? Doesn't that lead to bias?

19. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

20. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit