What's new

The BCS needs to be abolished (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
...because Nebraska can still play in the national championship game.

From ESPN:

"Could a team really be worthy of playing for the national championship without even winning its own division of its conference? Could a team that allowed 62 points and lost by 26 in its final game really be considered one of the two best teams in the country? In the BCS it could, and all it will take is an LSU victory over Tennessee this Saturday to make it a reality."

This is getting ridiculous!

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Imagine how entertaining an 8 team playoff would be this year. Hell, it would be difficult to chose the 8, but at least it would give a more accurate representation. If Nebraska gets into the Rose Bowl I will have a fit... not that anyone would care... but it will make ME feel better ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Here's the Top 8 according to the polls:
1. Miami (FL) (11-0)
2. Tennessee (10-1)
3. Oregon (10-1)
4. Colorado (9-2)
4. Nebraska (11-1)
6. Florida (9-2)
7. Maryland (10-1)
8. Illinois (10-1)
I wouldn't have a problem with that playoff (note BYU is STILL not in there...). :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
An eight team playoff is the best solution, but the Bowls will continue to resist because of the fear of losing all that money. The NCAA argues that it would make the season too long. However, they didn't mind when a game was added to team's schedules -- first for preseason games (e.g. The Kickoff Classic) and then for conference championship games. Get rid of the preseason games, use the bowls for the playoffs and you would only add one more game to two school's season, and no more games to anyone elses.
An eight team playoff could consist of the conference champs from the six BCS conferences plus two at large berths.
If Nebraska somehow gets to Pasadena I may boycot the game. I doubt that ABC will care, though. :)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
BYU has done well this year. That said, I think the majority of their wins were against "weaker" teams. I'd like to see them shake people's doubts by facing some of the stronger teams from the other conferences....

Michael.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Man, are you Michigan people still bitter about the '97 National Title, or what? :)
But, yes, I agree with the subject of this thread. If NU making the Rose Bowl hastens that, I'll take it. :)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
While the BCS may be unfair to some I think it's a pretty good deciding factor for the bowl games.

Jeff

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
If you are gonna have a playoff, you need to have every Division 1-A conference champ involved. There are 11 conferences. So you'd have to have a 16-team playoff with 5 at-large spots and 11 conference champions.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Joel - it has nothing to do with '97!!! It has everything to do with Nebraska getting demolished by Colorado on National TV! That was embarassing and should clear up any question of the Cornies going to the Rose Bowl.
1997 was proof positive that something needed to be done. This year is proof positive that the "something" is an 8 team playoff...
Good point Joe. A 16 team playoff beginning the second week of December and ending the first week of January would work as well. Let the championship game rotate between the current BCS bowls. The second and third round games can be handled by the other BCS bowls as well as the current Jan 1 bowl games. The first round games could be played at the home field of the eight teams with the best records. Just MHO of course ;)

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Man, are you Michigan people still bitter about the '97 National Title, or what?
:laugh:
I was on a trip to Chicago the spring after the NE/MI co-champion year. One evening at a bar in the loop I got into a discussion with a business traveler from Michigan about the previous college football season. The gentleman was a great representative of the state of Michigan and we kindly exchanged buying rounds for each other over the course of a couple hours. One point I made, which he agreed with, was that Bob Griese's shameless promotion of Michigan (and his son) during the Rose Bowl broadcast had much to do with their winning the AP vote. I wonder how many are a little too influenced by Gary Danielson's comments a few days ago?
If Nebraska makes it to the Rose Bowl it will be due as much to the losses of others as to the Husker's own success. The BCS has served it's purpose well, much better than the lopsided matchups we endured before it's inception. For the record, I'm in favor of a playoff system but I don't see that happening any time soon as the current system has proved to be a big moneymaker for every entity involved.
It has been an incredibly wild and interesting college football season. I'm sad to see it nearing it's completion.

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Ron. I don't know why everyone outside of Nebraska thinks that NU making it to the Rose Bowl is a load of crap. I understand that they got beat. It was still only one game. If Colorado had not lost 2 games they would be in, so too bad. Florida, Texas, Ok, and everybody else had a shot but they still lost. I wish we would have ran the table but it did not happen. I think we deserve it, just like every other fan for any other team would think that they deserve it, but only if LSU beats Tenn. Anyway, I am also in favor of a playoff system but am not optimistic that we will have one soon.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
If memory serves the BCS was created because of all the disagreements over who was the real #1 (Coaches Poll or Writer's Poll).

If anything, it is still too controversial. They should just come up with a mathematical formula to pick the top 25. The top 2 teams (who are picked mathematically by statistical analysis) can play a single game to declare who's best, for those that really care.

All I know is the Huskies didn't go to the Rose Bowl, so it's back to counting down the days until the Mariners start Spring Training for me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think only ONE of the polls is absolutely tied to the result of the Rose Bowl (or the BCS bowl of the year). So we can still have a split championship. I think it's the AP that's tied, and the coaches can still name whoever they want. That was a threat to happen last year if FSU squeaked by Oklahoma--they were saying the coaches might put Miami up there if they killed their bowl opponent and the FSU/OK game was close. Of course, 10-1 Washington was saying "what about us?" since they handed Miami their only loss last year.
I wonder if that might happen again. Let's say TN loses, Neb gets in to the Rose Bowl and narrowly beats Miami in a sloppy game, and someone like Oregon absolutely kills their Bowl opponent. Or CU (a 2-loss champion???). It's a mess waiting to happen...
Of course the Bowls are reluctant to enter a playoff system because of the revenue they generate. There's got to be a way to incorporate them into a playoff picture. The one who comes up with that method will be the saviour of college football fans' sanity. :)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Using bowls (ie neutral sites) for rounds other than the championship game wouldn't work from a ticket sales perspective.

So basically, it would end up being like the NFL playoffs, but with 16 teams. Logistics of a playoff would be a nightmare, whether you use neutral site or college stadiums for the games.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Yes, BCS should be abolished in favor of a play-off. But since we have to be realstic here, let's try to fix the problem at hand. For one thing, something has to be done about the computer rankings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but why is it that only one person is in control of a computer? Doesn't that lead to bias?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have to agree with Ron. I don't know why everyone outside of Nebraska thinks that NU making it to the Rose Bowl is a load of crap. I understand that they got beat. It was still only one game.
It's not just simply because Nebraska got beat. It's because (1) they got clobbered in what should have been a "must" win, and more importantly (2) they did not even qualify for their conference championship game. How can a team that is not qualified to play for its conference championship be qualified to play for the national title, when only two teams in the entire NCAA Division I-A are selected for this honor? This is not a 64 team field like the basketball tournament. It's a single game.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
(2) they did not even qualify for their conference championship game.
The argument that Nebraska didn't win their conference has some merit but that a team didn't make the conference championship game is a pretty weak argument considering that only 3 conferences even have one of these unnecessary contests.

Yes, Nebraska took a beating at Colorado. However, it wasn't as bad as the beating Colorado took against Texas a few weeks earlier, losing 41-7. Whenever it is mentioned that Nebraska allowed 62 points (an obscene number to be sure) it is conveniently left out that Nebraska scored 36 in that game leaving a much less sensational 26 point differential. Regardless, college football is played over a whole season of games, not a single week. Had Nebraska lost in week 2 or 3 this would have all been forgiven by now. Colorado's earlier losses to Fresno State and Texas sure seem to be forgotten.

As far as having a single person in control of a computer ranking system, I've yet to see any founded accusations of foul play. The statistics from the games are simply entered and a pre-determined formula produces a result. No emotions involved, no color commentator's opinions influencing the result. Only a playoff can produce a "true" national champion and without that I'm afraid that the BCS system is the best thing we've got.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks