What's new

The BC Teachers Strike (1 Viewer)

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
When will these teachers get back to work. The students have lost sports teams, they have to make up for the days they missed.
Teachers all over BC won't go back til a contract is on.

They want more money, less students per class, new textbooks the list doesn't stop here.

Its been 2 weeks.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I think you answered your question. The teachers will go back to work when

And pushing a punitive contract through the legislature doesn't count.

James T

Screenwriter
The memories of my highschool.

The teachers went on strike when I was in grade ten. They were on work to rule during my first year of highschool. It sucked, alright.

In the end, I don't think they accomplished anything. Mike Harris still got his way.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, I'm not sure how you can talk about teacher strikes without venturing into the verboten.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My wife is a teacher here in Michigan and her school has been working without a contract for nearly 3 months now. She has 31 students in her second grade class. The community that we live in is considered one of the more prosperous ones in the area. Just built a new $25 million dollar junior high. Last year she got a 1.75% raise. They are telling them that don't expect that much of a raise when they settle this next contract...

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
A couple of years ago they had a strike in a Seattle suburb that lasted about 6 weeks. In this particular instance, public sentiment started to turn against the teachers and eventually they ended up settling with a fairly poor contract. I agree that it's very hard to discuss such a topic on this forum (actually, it's very rare to see an intelligent discussion about these types things on any forum).

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Yup, that was the Marysville strike. The article correctly states that many of the school board were ousted shortly after the strike, but support for the teachers was also pretty low by the time that it ended and as I recall they didn't benefit much (if at all) from the strike.

It seemed that most of the strike was a pissing contest between the superintendent and the union, and all of the "reasons" given for the strike were largely tangential.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you Brandon. My wife is a teacher in a similar situation. They've been told by the school board that they're basically expendable.

The sad thing is.. she has her master's degree... and I'm a college dropout... and I make more money than she does.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

You're right. We should take away every extracurricular activity. That way, the kids will really want to go to school. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks