What's new

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It looks like filming will resume in September. Maybe.

Vareity said:
"The Batman" will resume shooting in early September in the U.K. at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden, according to insiders.

The comic book adventure was roughly seven weeks into production when filming had to be halted in March due to the coronavirus pandemic. “The Batman,” which is said to be a grittier and more realistic take on the Dark Knight mythos, has approximately three months of material left to shoot. It could potentially be wrapped by the end of 2020. Crew members have been constructing sets for the film this month, which spurred rumors that filming could resume shortly. Of course, given the fast-changing nature of the pandemic, those plans could be upended and cameras may not roll for several more weeks or even months.

More at the link: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/batman-robert-pattinson-coronavirus-filming-1234739987/

As of right now, the film has a scheduled release date of October 1, 2021.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
The Batman(2021) logo and a DC Fandome poster by Jim Lee.

BatmanLogo.jpeg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For a movie that was only about 25% shot before the virus hit, and which has a release date over a year away, this teaser is way more than I expected to see at this point. I think it does the job of looking interesting without being able to show off too much yet.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
...God, Zodiac Riddler. This movie already rules.

Not a lot to go on other than the visuals, but it looks pretty classy. Very much a Fincher-vibe, which is always a good thing in a Batman film. If Nolan did Mann (and Phillips tried to do Scorsese), then why wouldn't the next guy do Fincher? Makes sense. I like that this take on Batman moves more nimbly than some past versions.

Matt Reeves has more than earned my trust for this film with his past work.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Some details about the associated spinoff TV show that will air on HBO Max:

I really hope that by the time this is ready to be released, whenever that might be, Warner has come to their senses and made a deal with Roku to carry the HBO Max app so that I can check the show out without having to buy another streaming device.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The trailer looks very dark and out of focus

Aren't Batman movies usually dark? The color palette did not really shock me.

The only this thing trailer got me excited for was watching a different movie trailer.

Your response is valid, for sure, even though I disagree with it. But as noted yesterday, Reeves was only able to shoot about 20-25% of the movie before the coronavirus shut everything down. So they've still got the overwhelming majority of the film left to make, whenever that is possible. Given these highly unusual circumstances, I think they deserve kudos for even having any footage they was ready to show at all. Perhaps some of the stuff in the other 75-80% of the film that they haven't made yet will excite you.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm done with Batman after the peerless Nolan films.

I agree that the Nolan films are fantastic -- I was not a fan of the character prior to those movies, and they got me on board, so Bale will always be "my Batman" because of that. However, Batman has existed in comics for what, 70 years now? There's no way the character would have been able to sustain that level of popularity and significance if there wasn't room for several different interpretations. I don't see any reason why Matt Reeves can't make a sensational Batman movie. Of course, he might not -- it all depends on what he does with it -- but there absolutely exists an opportunity for him to make something awesome. So I would not prejudge. Batman is a great character and he can support multiple different great movies from multiple different filmmakers.

Lots of people think Tim Burton made a great movie in 1989 with Michael Keaton. I'm not quite as fond of it as people who grew up with it are, but there is no question it has a lot of merit. That didn't preclude Nolan from making a great interpretation, and Nolan's being great won't stop Reeves either. Hell, I think The Lego Batman Movie is just as effective at doing its own thing with the character as Nolan's films are at doing what he wanted to do. It's all about what the specific filmmaker has in mind and how they execute it.

As I said, I'm primarily a fan of Nolan's movies. But (provided that the coronavirus situation is under control by then, let's hope), I'll be there to see what Matt Reeves does and I'm excited about it.

There's room enough for all if they're good.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My "problem" with Batman as a character is that, IMO, we've been oversaturated with him. Twenty one years had elapsed between the end of the Adam West TV series and Burton's ground-breaking blockbuster in 1989. Sixteen years passed between Burton's film and Batman Begins, and eight years between that film and Batman & Robin. In 2012 we got The Dark Knight Rises, followed by Snyder's take on the character in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice only 4 years later. And we haven't even touched on the animated films and TV shows. For me, it's too much Batman. Although I think Reeves is an awesome filmmaker, and I'll most likely see his movie, I definitely suffer from Batman fatigue. I'd rather see the money and talent involved in this project invested in other, fresher directions.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but The Batman is not high on my list of must-see films.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I definitely suffer from Batman fatigue.

I get what you're saying here, but the reason for that is because Nolan's films made so much money and so much cultural impact that WB is reluctant to put Batman on ice now because they see dollar signs. The gap of time between Batman and Robin and Begins was because they had botched him so badly they needed time to figure out what to do. Now, with him being one of the most successful cinematic superheroes once again, WB doesn't want to let that gravy train stop rolling. It's just one of the side effects of the massive success that the Nolan films experienced, in comparison to their immediate predecessor. For Batman to be put on ice again now, they'd have to produce something equally terrible to Batman and Robin which would deflate interest in the character. Obviously, I'm not going to hope for them to make a bad movie.

So the challenge now becomes for Reeves to make something that stands out because it's good, and not because we haven't had one in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks