What's new

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
All joking aside, I think Serkis will enjoy not having to be in the mo-cap suit for a change; although he's obviously the master doing that, this is an opportunity for him to show us another side of his talent. Black Panther (plus the minor part in Age of Ultron as the same character) is really his only major role to date where he wasn't in mo-cap, and that is a very different role than Alfred. And though he's not a name I would have predicted for Alfred, I have no trouble believing he's going to do a great job with that character. Matt Reeves wanting to use him makes sense because of course they worked very well together on two Planet of the Apes films before this. I'm all good with that choice.

Weird connections: Colin Farrell's last movie was the remake of Dumbo. This was directed by Tim Burton and also starred both Michael Keaton and Farrell's immediate cinematic predecessor in the Penguin role, Danny DeVito.

And if a deal closes, Farrell would be playing a superhero movie villain for what I'm pretty sure is the first time since Daredevil, which of course had him fight Ben Affleck.

Aside from Daredevil, which would have been bad whether he was in it or not, I've liked Farrell in everything I've seen him in. He takes interesting roles and makes interesting and dynamic acting choices. So I'm good with this choice too and think he is an upgrade over Jonah Hill, who i don't like as consistently. I'm also glad to see that Farrell is not a "Jonah Hill type," so Reeves seems to have gone back to the drawing board in how to conceive that character after Hill's departure from talks, which is exactly what I would have done. Finding an actor to do a Jonah Hill impression after talks with the real one dissolved would have been a bad idea, and Reeves is smart not to do that.

Although Farrell's casting in this likely precludes a return to the Fantastic Beasts franchise which I was hoping for, since both will be shooting next year. But that's fine. Given the state of the second Fantastic Beasts film, which he was not in, he's probably better off with Batman anyway.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Prestige.

You are absolutely right. I haven't seen that in a long, long time and forgot about him being in it. I should watch that again soon. But my larger point still stands even though I was incorrect about that detail; I think he'll enjoy getting to do a major role like this outside of the mo-cap suit, because he hasn't had that with as much frequency as he has the mo-cap.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
He’s managed to make a nice little career with that specialty, which has also opened doors for him as a feature director. As far as unconventional careers go, I think he’s got one of the coolest ones out there. But I always enjoy seeing him act with his own face.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Matt Reeves confirmed on Twitter that John Turturro has joined the cast as Carmine Falcone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks