What's new

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Another thought I had: "The Batman" is a title that was sort of given to this film by default when Ben Affleck was talking about directing it because no one had anything else to call it. I think the origin of it was him talking about "The Batman solo movie" rather than Bvs or JL. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Reeves actually comes up with a different and more inventive title by the time the movie is ready to come out. We already have just "Batman." I'm really not a fan of just adding the word "The" to something to distinguish it. (See also "The Suicide Squad.") I hope there is another title to be had that tells us a little more about what distinguishes this film from the rest in Batman's canon.

In regards to Pattinson, I read the first one and a half Twilight books on a friend's recommendation before I couldn't stand it anymore. They're bad. They're badly written with poor character development, cliched plotting and a general lack of imagination. I didn't bother to see the movie, but if Pattinson sucked in it, it was probably the fault of the material. I doubt he could have done very much given the constraints of what he had to work with there.

I haven't seen any of his post-Twilight indies, but the fact that he has chosen to do them is encouraging. The Twilight money could have let him do a lot of things; he doesn't need to be the face of another franchise, especially not one that has already had a storied history with other actors and doesn't need his name to get it greenlit. He could just keep making indies for the rest of his career if he wanted to do that. The pressure and scrutiny around being Batman will be far more significant than what he felt being Edward Cullen and I'm sure he knows that. So if he's choosing to do this, he must really believe in Matt Reeves' vision, and must really be invested in being a part of that. It's not like he needs the money.

Pattinson is absolutely not someone who I would have thought of for this role, but that actually makes it almost more interesting. If Reeves went with a traditional pick who we all would have predicted, there would be the sense of "Oh, we already know what to expect from that performer in that role.' The fact that Reeves saw something in Pattinson (or Hoult)'s audition that we wouldn't expect is exciting, because it's his job to know more about what he wants than we do. If you had told me in 2005 while I was watching Brokeback Mountain that Heath Ledger would be the Joker, I would've thought you were crazy, but that worked out because Nolan found in him something special that no one expected was there. Maybe this is another case like that. I hope so.

Oh, and I know most of the internet is following Variety's lead in declaring Pattinson, but I'm going to hold my breath a little while longer. I remember when many of the trades said that Asa Butterfield had the role of Spider-Man sewn up, and it was definitely him, and then Tom Holland got it at what seemed like the last minute. So....probably Pattinson, but maybe not until WB makes a formal announcement/confirms it to the trades in a press release. I wasn't expecting this news to come until Comic-Con this year at the earliest, although now that these reports are out there I think it would benefit WB to just make the announcement when they know.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert Pattinson is known for Twilight but he's also in actual good movies and he's excellent in them. Check out the pair of Cronenberg movies he did, The Lost City Of Z and the great Good Time.
Cronenberg??

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Of the two names mentioned, I'd rather see Hoult, who I think would be less brooding, which is something the DC films desperately needs.

But I'll take a wait and see approach either way.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision newsletter is citing unnamed sources who claim that The Penguin and Catwoman are in the movie:

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Matt Reeves is still tweaking his script, which is rumored to have at least two villains, the Penguin being one of them, according to sources (one person is telling us there will be around half-a-dozen villains!). We’re hearing of another purrfect character making an appearance in the script as well.

More at the link: https://link.hollywoodreporter.com/view/518d53f9191b2a646dbcdf4da2tef.1ie/de42d27e

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I had forgotten because it was announced a while ago, but I just remembered that, ironically enough, Robert Pattinson is also currently working for Warner Bros. in the cast of Christopher Nolan's new movie. That one will be released July 17, 2020. So he will be in another big movie before Batman is released, which will almost certainly put him in front of a wider audience than anything else he has done since the end of Twilight. Hopefully this helps people shed their preconceived notions of him as Edward Cullen.

Also: I trust Matt Reeves, but even if Batman fans don't yet, they sure as hell should trust Christopher Nolan by now. Nolan thinks Pattinson is a good enough actor for his next movie and wanted to work with him. That says a lot about the quality of his work these days.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Trying to avoid this altogether, but bringing in my favorite Batman villain-The Penguin- and Catwoman too!

Give me strength....must...resist.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I trust Reeves too, but The Penguin and Catwoman, AGAIN. Come on.

Well, Penguin hasn't been seen on the big screen since Batman Returns. I get the appeal of going back to him because he is one of the few major well-known villains that Christopher Nolan didn't use. Catwoman is more surprising because Nolan did use her, and in his most recent film. I'm sure that Reeves is going to do his own thing, but I also think he would be wise to avoid retreading ground that was covered very recently, so if he is using Catwoman again, it will have to be an extremely different take on the character than Nolan and Anne Hathaway had.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Use only ONE villain. A good writer should be able to concoct a mystifying screenplay with one bad guy causing havoc all over Gotham and Batman doing his level best to figure out the scheme and combat it. I'm convinced that both of those Joel Schumacher films would have been better if there had been fewer villains in the mix, and I thought Batman Returns was weakened by competing villains, too. They are certainly strong enough personalities to not need another colorful villain as a cohort.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, Penguin hasn't been seen on the big screen since Batman Returns. I get the appeal of going back to him because he is one of the few major well-known villains that Christopher Nolan didn't use. Catwoman is more surprising because Nolan did use her, and in his most recent film. I'm sure that Reeves is going to do his own thing, but I also think he would be wise to avoid retreading ground that was covered very recently, so if he is using Catwoman again, it will have to be an extremely different take on the character than Nolan and Anne Hathaway had.

"Gotham" may add to the "those characters again?" issue as well! :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

That's why I said on the big screen. ;)

You are, of course, completely right that the Penguin was a major part of Gotham. I only watched the pilot and even I could tell that.

However, the Batman films reach a much more massive audience than Gotham did, and moviegoers haven't seen Penguin in 27 years -- 29 years by the time this comes out. So I think he's fair game. But obviously, success depends on how Reeves chooses to interpret the character, and the actor who he casts to bring that to life. We'll see what happens.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's why I said on the big screen. ;)

You are, of course, completely right that the Penguin was a major part of Gotham. I only watched the pilot and even I could tell that.

However, the Batman films reach a much more massive audience than Gotham did, and moviegoers haven't seen Penguin in 27 years -- 29 years by the time this comes out. So I think he's fair game. But obviously, success depends on how Reeves chooses to interpret the character, and the actor who he casts to bring that to life. We'll see what happens.

I wasn't arguing against your points - just saying that for some, the feeling that Penguin is an oft-used character may stem from "Gotham", whether justly or not.

Honestly, I think the reason this perception exists among many of us comes from our disbelief that "Batman Returns" was 27 years ago! It's just a little stunning to realize how much time has passed.

Less time elapsed between Burgess Meredith's Penguin and Danny De Vito's than between De Vito and today! :eek:

In my mind - and others, I suspect - "Batman Returns" feels like a "new movie", not one from nearly 3 decades ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks