What's new

THE BAT WHISPERS BLU-RAY FROM VCI LATER THIS YEAR (1 Viewer)

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Yes, interlaced blu rays exist, but mostly ancient transfers of movies (e.g. WILDE UK blu ray) or TV shows originated on SD video (upscaled vintage DOCTOR WHO).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Is there such a thing as interlaced blu-ray?

It never occurred to me before
The most obvious example here is the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma. Progressive scanning in the Blu-ray format is locked to 24 fps, and with the Todd-AO version being 30 fps, it's formatted as 1080i.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
We can never have enough Gustav von Seyffertitz on blu-ray, can we?

I think I remember actually preferring the fullscreen version of this to the wide, although the latter had that extra novelty value. Grateful that they both managed to survive. Unlike "The Cat Creeps" (1930-Univ), from the same period, of which we apparently have nothing.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'd assume UCLA created fine-grain positives for both versions. Kind of would be curious to see what the 65mm version looks like in 4K given that The Big Trail's 65mm negative isn't extant.
This is the message I had rec'vd - I have gotten permission from UCLA to access a couple of 35mm nitrate film elements - I think they are asking Tom Weaver? to do a commentary

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Intro cards from the wide version on YouTube indicate the 65mm version exists. Could they not have used that?

bw1.png

bw2.png

Moleman X

Agent
Real Name
Rob Peace
The most obvious example here is the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma. Progressive scanning in the Blu-ray format is locked to 24 fps, and with the Todd-AO version being 30 fps, it's formatted as 1080i.
Blu-ray can do 30p. Some encoders can't, but it's a valid spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks