The Baron

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by younger1968, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
    Wow, Jeff! Thank you so much for taking the time to offer such a detailed analysis of the show. Your post just whets my appetite even more. The set should arrive by the end of this coming week,.

Jeff Flugel, Osato and Flashgear like this.
  2. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
    Glenn, thank you for sharing your endorsement of the show. I cannot wait to delve into the series.

Osato and Flashgear like this.
  3. 23 Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    I have been revisiting all the 'International Man Of Mystery' series I have on DVD: DANGEROUS ASSIGNMENT, INTERPOL CALLING, DANGER MAN/SECRET AGENT, and THE SAINT. I have just started THE BARON. MAN WITH A SUITCASE, MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., THE PERSUADERS, and THE NEW AVENGERS will follow. I'll fit MAN OF THE WORLD and THE SENTIMENTAL AGENT in too.

I happen to have watched that reworked Saint story on The Baron last night. I have read that story about both shows showing on the same night, in the U.S. The time line of when and where The Baron and B & W Saint were shown doesn't support the story, at least nation-wide. B & W Saint was syndicated, and not on a network. The Baron was on ABC, in 1966. If it happened it was, probably, a local thing, involving two stations. (NBC picked up the color Saints in 1967.)

Osato, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  4. 24 Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Flashgear

Flashgear Supporting Actor

Randall
    I wouldn't know what the UK Network release is like...I assume the same sources that were used on the R1 release...I see a reference to an A+E release earlier in this thread?...my R1 set is the 2009 Koch Vision set, 30 episodes on 8 DVD...color is slightly faded on these, but appear complete...there are also 3 episodes upon which Sue Lloyd provides audio commentaries...accompanied in turn by production supervisor Johnny Goodman, directors Cyril Frankel and Roy Ward Baker...3 other episodes feature audio introductions by guest stars Peter Wyngarde and Annette Andre, with the other introduction by writer Brian Clemens...The Baron is a show that I always wanted, and got this set years ago for a steal at $10 U.S. from Oldies.com...

Sean, you don't mention if you have The Persuaders ...the ITC 1971 show with Roger Moore and Tony Curtis...a fun show with great production values, filmed on location on the continent as well as the UK ,of course...VEI reissued a very nice R1 set at a budget price not long ago...and resembling The Baron only in so much as he is another antique dealer involved in mystery and suspense...the great Lovejoy of Ian McShane...I'm glad to have the complete BBC/Fremantle set...got that one too on an Amazon one day sale price...

Jeff Flugel, Osato and Darby67 like this.
  5. jperez

jperez Stunt Coordinator

jorge perez
    Although its an American series and not an ITC production, Hong Kong, the one season series starring Rod Taylor and filmed in 1960, is right along those lines: In the series, which lasted 26 episodes, Taylor is an Australian journalist working out of Hong Kong and the series was produced by the great Roy Huggins.

6. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Second Unit

Ian Kenneth McLachlan
    Network released one episode of The Baron on bluray. The prints of The Baron are in my eyes not as good as some of the prints of the other ITC series. I would really like Network to do a bluray update of this series along with one for The Adventurer - another series whose prints could be improved upon I think.

7. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
    Randall:

Thanks for the heads up about The Persuaders; I'll have to look into that show too.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Osato like this.
  8. Osato

Osato Producer

I've been curious about the baron for years. I watched a couple of episodes online and felt they were ok.
    I may have to pick the set up.
    I love the Saint with roger Moore and the persuaders. The avengers and the new avengers were great too.
    Return of the Saint is ok too.

Great to see some discussion on this show!!!

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  9. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    One of the BARON two-parters, the crown jewel pair, that Pathfinder mentioned, was released as a feature called, "The Man In A Looking Glass". That plot was reworked for a PERSUADERS called, "Someone Like Me".

10. Osato

Osato Producer

I've been watching the color episodes of the Saint.
    I watch the persuaders series at least once a year.
    Sometimes once a season.
    The blu ray set has fantastic picture.

Darby67, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  11. Pathfiner

Pathfiner Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    A couple of points

first it was David Marlowe not Paul as I said earlier, played by Paul Ferris

the other 2 parter is 'Storm Warning / 'The Island' re the attempt to divert a US space capsule...

Colin Cordon's character is 'Templeton Green' who enlists Mannering's aid a few times for British Intelligence

'Portrait of Louisa' is Terry Nations' revamp of his earlier script 'Lida' in 'The Saint'

Darby67, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  12. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Stunt Coordinator

Jeff Flugel
    Glad to see some interest in THE BARON...it's a fun show, perhaps not up to the first rank of the best of the ITC spy/adventure series (such as THE PRISONER, SECRET AGENT/ DANGER MAN, THE SAINT, THE PERSUADERS, DEPARTMENT S and MAN IN A SUITCASE, for example) but very solid, with some good action and stories with strong guest casts. Steve Forrest gets some flack for being a bland lead, but I think he's just fine and makes a stalwart hero. Sue Lloyd's presence adds a lot to the show, too. The prints used for the various DVD sets are not great, with faded color (the U.S. Koch Media set, which I have, is purportedly the worst offender, and pretty expensive at the moment). The episode Ian M. mentioned above ("Something for a Rainy Day") on the Network Retro Action sampler Blu-Ray set cleaned up extremely well, so this is one series that would really benefit from an HD upgrade.

The good news is that Network is currently releasing both RANDALL AND HOPKIRK - DECEASED and DEPARTMENT S on Blu-Ray in multiple volume, month-by-month sets. I have several volumes of these sets released so far, and the episodes all look fantastic (and the sets are Region Free!) Network may very well be undertaking a restoration of a large chunk of the ITC catalog. Whether they will get to THE BARON or not remains to be seen. Most likely other more famous series like THE CHAMPIONS or MAN IN A SUITCASE will be next in line for Blu...but there is a chance for THE BARON sometime down the road.

I heartily recommend most of these ITC adventure series from the 60s and early 70s, they are nearly all of them tremendous fun.

Jack K, Osato, ChrisALM and 2 others like this.
  13. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
    My set finally arrived today and I have already watched the first two episodes; I'm really enjoying the series and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Jeff Flugel, Osato, Pathfiner and 2 others like this.
  14. Osato

Osato Producer

Awesome!
    Network U.K. Set?

Darby67 likes this.
  15. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
    Osato:

No, the Region 1 release from Koch Vision.

Flashgear and Osato like this.
  16. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

I seem to recall that two-parter with the ocean freighter backdrop, which was especially exciting and suspenseful. Been a while since I watched my DVD-set, and I believe both leads have passed away since it came out. It's a nice, unpretentious series, and I'm rather grateful it was produced early enough to avoid the wacky, mod nonsense of the later-1960s in terms of what it inflicted on both the genre and the milieu.

17. 37 Mar 22, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    Going through more episodes, I have been flashing back to THE SAINT, or maybe even flash forwarding. So they often re-use plots or even maybe recombine elements of a couple of different stories to make a new whole.

THE BARON preceded the production of the color SAINT episodes. I see the Baron's shop is around the corner from the color Saint's apartment. This little street set is redressed many times, sometimes, per episode as different places and even countries. Great fun!

Some episodes on the Koch set are a little too green or yellow. Are the Network prints the same?

Hey, Bert, the ocean freighter pair is next up, for me! I like to think of all the ITC International Man Of Mystery shows as one long series.

Jeff Flugel, Darby67, Osato and 2 others like this.
  18. 38 Mar 23, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017 at 2:00 PM
    Pathfiner

Jeff
    The Baron two parter about the attempt to steal the crown jewels when they are out of the Tower of London being cleaned is not really just a revamp of the Persuaders script 'Someone Like Me' (or the way around as The Baron came first !)

the only similar aspect is John Mannering (Steve Forrest) has a near perfect double 'Eddie' and JM on learning of the plot to duplicate him duly impersonates him in turn - tho' it gets a bit more complicated later...

in 'Someone Like Me' Lord Brett Sinclair (Roger Moore) also appears to have a double impersonating him...but the plot reveals to be quite different than The Baron two parter - without spoiling it for those yet to see the episode think more along the lines of the film 'The Mancurian Candidate'

the 'doubles' angle is the only linking factor here between The Baron and The Persuaders !

the other 'Persuaders !' episode; 'Greensleeves' has Rog's Lord Brett 'impersonating' himself in the plot too

- while in another episode Tony Curtis poses as British Lord Brett Sinclair (with a terrible attempted posh English accent !) and Roger Moore pretends to be American Danny Wilde too (sounding equally terrible with an attempted 'Southern' American accent - sounding more like 'Scarlett O' Hara' as the real Danny tells him !)

Rog's decent dramatic film 'The Man Who Haunted Himself' is also a case of apparent 'doubles' as was the color Saint episode; 'The Double Take'

Darby67, Osato and Flashgear like this.
  19. 39 Mar 23, 2017 at 2:09 PM
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017 at 2:26 PM
    Pathfiner

Jeff
    The Baron episode; 'Portrait of Louisa' was a color revamp of Terry Nation's b/w Saint story; 'Lida' as Terry needed a quick extra script for 'The Baron'

as 'Lida' was b/w it was deemed unlikely that would be screened at the same time as a color Baron episode - but of course that's exactly what DID then occur in a USA channel screening - both episodes of each show screened on the same night I think (out of 70 odd b/w Saint episodes the chances of that happening must have been mega slim...but it did !)

Viewers were furious of course as it was almost word for word the SAME script ! lol

this is common in TV especially in long running shows - the b/w Honor Blackman era 'Avengers' script 'Don't Look Behind You' of 1964 later became 'The Joker' in color with Diana Rigg in 1967 and a few other 'Avengers' scripts were reutilised as such later

I've seen two 'Bonanza' episodes from 1965 and 1971 eras about rain makers that share alot of the same core storyline too...

80's 'Mission:Impossible' re-used a 1966 first season Steven Hill era episode 'The Legacy' re sons of Nazi's after gold - in the 80's version it's the Grand sons of Nazis...!

A Barry Trivers 'Naked City' script re a guy with a bullet in him throughout the story....turns up again in 'The Streets of San Francisco' (where in the episode 'Deadline' Karl Malden's Lt. Mike Stone tells Inspr. Steve Keller that his own detective boss when he first started out as a rookie detective was 'old McIntire'...probably a fellow police show 'salute' to Naked City and it's original star John McIntire)

also a 'Naked City' first season story where James Franciscus goes undercover in a mental hospital posing as an inmate...is later largely re-done with Mike Douglas doing likewise in 'The Streets of San Francisco' with a re-write here and there to alter it a bit

likewise a Virginian script...returns in 'Alias Smith and Jones' where James Drury / Ben Murphy on thinking an elderly couple have taken a saddle bag with money in it shoot open a locked door...to reveal a long deceased child's cobwebbed bedroom - a shocked Jim and Ben both apologise and tell the couple(s) they will repair the lock before they leave...