The Barbarian Invasions in July

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marc Colella, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

... according to DVDTimes:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=10799

It's one of the best films of 2003, and the Oscar winner for Best Foreign Language Film - yet there's no mention of Bonus Features... and I suspect it'll be barebones (or close to it) since foreign language films usually get little respect.

In any case, I can't wait.

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

They often don't get much respect even up here where French Canadian movies such as "The Barbarian Invasions" are actually made! Non-anamorphic transfers, lack of supplements, excessively high prices... Not all French Canadian based DVDs are this bad, but most of them have at least one of these weaknesses.

I know we can do better. The TV series "Un Gars, Une Fille" is an excellent example of our potential. It's just a matter of showing the producers what can be accomplished and how much the buying public appreciates these valuable features.

3. Marc Colella

[sarcasm]Wow, this is an explosive thread. Hope everyone can contain their excitement[/sarcasm]

-Critically acclaimed
    -Oscar win for Best Foreign Film, nomination for Screenplay
    -Best Actress & Screenplay, and nominated for the Golden Palm at Cannes
    -Cleaned up at the Cesar Awards

Where's the love/interest?

4. Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier Stunt Coordinator

I wonder how many people know this is a sequel to a film called "the fall of the american empire"

edit : Sorry, decline... (was translating from french)

5. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Just saw this theatrically and absolutely loved it -- will pick up the DVD, barebones or not. I saw "Decline of the American Empire" so long ago that I really need to see it again (and I see it's out on DVD in the UK now).

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I loved it, and it is on my must get list -- however I am even more interested in decent DVDs of Jesus of Montreal & The Decline of The American Empire since it's been so long since I saw them.

I suppose I should check out Stardom also. Suggestions for other worthwhile Denys Arcand movies welcome.

Ted

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Landmark Theaters is offering a DVD of the film that's supposedly exclusive to the chain. As a result, I've been unable to find any review of the disc. And when I last tried to buy it at the Sunshine Theater, they were sold out.

M.

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

One of my favorites of the year too, but I've really cut back on my DVD purchases so I'm not sure if I will buy this or not, depends what else is out that month.

Charging a Criterion level price without Criterion level features is not a good incentive.

9. Michael Reuben

Street price will probably be around $20. That ain't "Criterion level". And besides, I'm sure BVHV knows they won't sell a zillion copies. It's subtitled, it doesn't have a "reference" soundtrack, and its only special effects are great writing and acting. In today's market, those are major limitations on sales.

M.

P.S. I know, I know -- The Passion of the Christ is a subtitled movie with a huge audience. But let's face it, that film has special circumstances. The occasional exception notwithstanding, the U.S. audience for films in languages other than English remains very small.

10. Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier Stunt Coordinator

By the way, according to dvdenfrancais.com Seville is working on a re-release of the decline of the american empire for the 3rd quarter of 2004

Séville: Bonne nouvelle! Cet éditeur travaille a une ré-édition du Déclin de l'empire américain. On sait pour le moment qu'on produira un nouveau transfert numérique (16:9) au format respecté. On se souvient que la première édition de ce film offrait une image au format recadré (1.33:1 - P&S)/transfert 4:3). On prévoit aussi pour cette nouvelle édition l'inclusion de quelques suppléments. Ce titre DVD sera mis en marché au cours du troisième trimestre de cette année, probablement aux alentours de la parution des Invasions barbares. A suivre.
    Source: DVDenfrancais.com

11. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

Marie-Josée Croze is incredible. I can't wait untill Hollywood discovers her and casts her in something that is a little easier to consume for most Americans than the French films she's been in.

Anyway, I'm glad that we will be getting a chance to see more of her work with this film.

12. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Michael, though they are using it less and less lately, Criterion does have a $29.99 pricepoint that still offers interesting features that also streets for "around $20".

But since this is a new title for which features often amount to dull, repetitive fluff, my problem is more with the price. I can only afford to buy a couple of titles a month right now so my $$ go where I see the best value.

13. Marc Colella

14. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I just received my Alliance Atlantis (Canadian) version. The Unrated cover is different from the US version posted above.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Apparently, this is the unrated packaging. DVDsoon.com also lists a rated packaging but they haven't posted the picture yet. This is the best I can find:

[​IMG]

Also, for those that are wondering about the extras, this is a 2-disc set and includes 2 cuts of the film.

Disc 1:
    - The Movie (112 minute version)

Disc 2:
    - The Movie (Wide Release version - 98 minutes)
    - "Inside the Barbarian Invasions" - The Making of Produced by Radio-Canada
    - Trailers

The specs are as follows:
    - 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen
    - French DD5.1 and 2.0 tracks
    - English and French subtitles

15. Michael Reuben

It's been a while, and my memory could be playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn this was 2.35:1 in theaters.

M.

16. Tom Tsai

^ hmm...IMDB does list it as 2.35. Strange. I just checked again, and my dvd is indeed 1.78:1 as listed on the back of the box... (for both cuts of the film)

EDIT: OK, I just checked the Barbarian Invasions trailer on the second disc. The trailer for the Canadian release IS 1.78:1. So did they change the aspect ratio for international release? I guess we can't fault Alliance on this one then.

17. Michael Reuben

Both cuts of the film?

M.

18. Tom Tsai

^ yeah, both cuts. I just updated my previous post.

19. Michael Reuben

The AR of a trailer isn't a reliable guide. Lots of trailers are in a different AR than the film they're promoting. Did anyone see this in theaters in Canada?

The Miramax release in the U.S. is listed as 2.35:1. We're going to need some industrious soul to post comparative screen shots.

M.

20. Tom Tsai

i hate when these things happen [​IMG]