What's new

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We shouldn’t assume everyone has seen trailers.
I wasn't assuming that everyone had seen it. I was simply pointing out that the content that Wayne wanted to know about in advance was in there. Whether you seek it out or not is your choice, but the extreme content in this film is being accurately represented. Disney is not hiding what kind of film this is.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I watched this on opening night (at least here in Canada), and to me delight the theatre was almost sold out. Like we're talking Marvel movie numbers--and it was snowy out!

Anyway, I thought Banshees was excellent. Really gorgeous scenery. Terrific performances from the leads. While Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson was great, I thought that Barry Keoghan stole the movie. I really enjoyed his body language and the way he moved through the frame: a really fun blend of charisma and strangeness. His lines about the pole and using it to hook things about a pole's length away had me laughing out loud.

Speaking of laughing, I also really liked the humour. The bit with the milk can and "that's how me ma died" had my audience in stitches.

Great movie. I'll be buying it on physical media. Hopefully in a nice 4k UHD.

9.5/10

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Two women in a general store: Ever hear the one about the two best friends who got in a feud years and years ago?! Such a row!

One could imagine such a conversation taking place on the (fictional) Isle of Inisherin today. Back in 1923, the pair, Padraic (Colin Farrell) and Colm (Brendan Gleeson) are drinking buddies. Every afternoon after he's attended to his flock of animals, Padraic comes around Colm's humble home near the coast and they head to the local pub. That is, until one day when Colm decides he's heard enough of his friend's stories and just wants to be left alone with his fiddle, which completely flummoxes his pal. Padraic lives with his spinster sister, Siobhan (Kerry Condon), who unlike her brother, is well read and curious of the outside world. Unable to keep his mouth shut, Padraic only antagonizes Colm further and further until it's a full on feud.

Inisherin is just off the Irish coast, so close, that the locals can see and hear the sounds of battle raging during the mainland's civil war. The people of Inisherin enjoy being on an island of to themselves, even if that isolation is as much of a burden as a benefit. The local half-wit, Dominic (Barry Keoghan) is abused by his father (Gary Lydon), who happens to also be the only cop around. The local Priest (David Pearse) can be as foul-mouthed as his Parishioners. Lurking around the fringes of the land is a real life Banshee in the form of Mrs. McCormick who is always spreading her gloom and doom about town.

Writer-Director Martin McDonagh writes sharp dialogue, often tinged with a caustic humor. As with IN BRUGES and THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING MISSOURI, that wit presages darker turns. The Irish Civil War is clearly used as a metaphor for the feud. Colm searches for more meaning in his life through music, while Padraic is content with leading his simple existence. They are like brothers, but, the friction only grows. It's “war”.

Farrell and Gleeson are very good here. Their real life friendship adds all the more realism to the battle of wills that ensues. Condon is in many ways the conscience of the movie. She loves her brother and Inisherin, but, she too needs more out of life. As fine as all the cast is, McDonagh never quite manages to fully explore his symbolism. The pub is sparsely attended, and most of the other locals only seem to interact when its convenient for the story to do so. One never gets a true sense of community. And, in that vacuum, the Padriac-Colm skirmish comes off as bitter if not outright nasty - it ends more mean than meaningful. McDonagh is trying to exposie a dark hole in the soul of the Irish people, but can't quite bring it off. Still, it's hard to criticize a movie for ambition, especially one as well-crafted and performed as THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN.

Attachments

• BansheeArthouse.jpg
    BansheeArthouse.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 21

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That reminds me, time to start watching Mrs. Brown's Boys' feckin' Christmas specials again. Nothing like Christmas in Finglas. :D

mrsbrown-christmas.gif

1668789524545.png

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I thought that Barry Keoghan stole the movie.

Barry is a scene stealer of epic proportions. He seems to do it in every picture he is in. He is wonderful in this and every time he is on screen it kicks things up a notch or three. I first saw him in Trespass Against Us (also with Brendan Gleeson) but where I really took notice of him was in The Killing of a Sacred Deer (with Farrell), which he gives a phenomenal creepy performance in.

I've not seen all of his work but he is an actor I look forward to seeing on screen. Combine him with Gleeson and Farrell and the acting here is just a joy to watch.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Saw this tonight.

Not as good or as powerful as 3 Billboards, but contains the same mix of confronting drama, violence, and laugh-out-loud dark humour.

Loved the gorgeous, dramatic scenery, and the starkness of life on the island. Excellent performances all around.

As a pet owner, I was moved and saddened by the accidental death of Jenny. Jenny was a supporting character, used ostensibly as one of the livestock animals Colin owns but eventually coming across as much more of a pet and lovable companion. Devastating to see her lying there on the ground while the bigger horse is trying to see what happened.

😢

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This is on my best of 2022 list. Pretty much every aspect of the filmmaking here is top notch. I know the general thing is to call this a dark comedy but I did not find it as dark as In Bruges or Three Billboards. In fact with the way it starts you know it is going to be funny, because the opening shot is so goofy.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This is on my best of 2022 list. Pretty much every aspect of the filmmaking here is top notch. I know the general thing is to call this a dark comedy but I did not find it as dark as In Bruges or Three Billboards. In fact with the way it starts you know it is going to be funny, because the opening shot is so goofy.
I watched In Bruges yesterday. Farrell, Gleeson and Fiennes were all excellent, and carry the at times slow film. Seems when you watch a McDonagh film, you’re going to see ferocity combined with some dark funny stuff.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

Don't know who he is but this guy thinks so...

Thanks for this link. I think the opening scene- McDonagh immediately gets into the meat of the film- is one of its strong suits. Interesting that the reviewer compared the main characters to the estranged brothers in Hell Or High Water- a film I watch obsessively. This is a film that invites multiple viewings.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Kerry Condon (Siobhan) appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live last nigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks