Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

Genre: Drama, Comedy

Director: Martin McDonagh

Cast: Brendan Gleeson, Colin Farrell, Barry Keoghan, Kerry Condon

Release: 2022-10-21

Plot: A pair of lifelong friends on a remote Irish island find themselves at an awkward time in their relationship when one of them no longer wants to be friends.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It appears both McDonaghs have films coming out. His brother John Michael (who made the exceptional Calvary and The Guard) is working on The Forgiven with Ralph Fiennes and Jessica Chastain).

I'm quite excited for both of these.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It appears both McDonaghs have films coming out. His brother John Michael (who made the exceptional Calvary and The Guard) is working on The Forgiven with Ralph Fiennes and Jessica Chastain).

I'm quite excited for both of these.

I tried to post a thread about The Forgiven but for some reason that won't post.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I screwed up myself. The Forgiven is completed and released...just not in the US yet.

Yeah, I guess I posted about The Forgiven in 2019 (?) while he was still trying to get it into production. Now it is completed and playing at Cannes. I'll take any film from either brother but I have to admit I am much more looking forward to this film. Fantastic cast and Martin has been working on this one for 30 years.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
"A new McDonagh movie is always exciting, but this one is particularly interesting as he’s been working on the story since his early days as a playwright. For some reason, he’s remained attached to the project over the years. It’s clear that he’s passionate about it, even though he’s always dismissed its quality in the past.

Originally, The Banshees of Inisheer was supposed to be the third installment in a series of plays McDonagh dubbed the “Aran Islands Trilogy,” which began with The Cripple of Inishmaan and was followed years later by The Lieutenant of Inishmore. These plays are loosely connected due to their close-knit Irish archipelago settings, but they also contain McDonagh’s penchant for sordid humor, violence, and provocation."

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes. And In Bruges, which also starred Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson.
I should check this one out- loved 3BB- thought it was a much better film than the Oscar winner The Shape Of Water.

Kino Lorber is releasing In Bruges in UHD on the 27th- just pre-ordered from Amazon. Thanks, Adam.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The early reviews on this, which I have not read only looked at the rating, are all raves so far. It is supposed to be a brilliant black Irish comedy.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
More comments to folow, but I give BANSHEES a light recommendation. The actors are fine and there is some good writing, but, McDonagh seems to be reaching for a larger commentary, that he doesn't quite achieve.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A very good film with great performances and cinematography.

I wish I knew in advance that this film has body mutilation, it didn't bother me too much, but it will keep me from recommending it to my mother.

My arthouse screening was pretty well attended and most seemed to enjoy it.

Colin Farrell and his sister really should have tried to get Brendan Gleason admitted to a psych ward the first time he cut off a finger as he was clearly psychologically unwell.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wish I knew in advance that this film has body mutilation
To be fair, this plot point was clearly indicated in the trailer.

I thought the movie is fantastic. McDonagh has a very specific voice which is not going to be for all tastes. But it is very much my taste. I've been familiar with him for years, not only going back to In Bruges but also his stage work as a playwright. I knew enough of his work to expect this to be extreme in places, and it is. But I also found it utterly captivating.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
To be fair, this plot point was clearly indicated in the trailer.

I thought the movie is fantastic. McDonagh has a very specific voice which is not going to be for all tastes. But it is very much my taste. I've been familiar with him for years, not only going back to In Bruges but also his stage work as a playwright. I knew enough of his work to expect this to be extreme in places, and it is. But I also found it utterly captivating.
I just rewatched the trailer and it is there. I know I saw the trailer before but for some reason that point never stayed in my mind.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks